Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Oh wow I didn't expect that Southern twang coming from him

The assumptions get to the best of us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 02:34 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
I agree with BirdieBelle about developing a thicker skin when encountering such blunders. I genuinely believe people don't really mean anything by it, even though it can be annoying at times.

I get stereotyped quite a bit - I'm a bit of a foodie and enjoy specialty foods from stores like Central Market and Whole Foods. I also like camping, hiking, etc and can be found at REI pretty regularly. People are ALWAYS asking me where "such and such" is when i'm shopping in those stores. They assume I work there (i'm a black female).

It happens so much I used to want to yell "N*$%^^S EAT ORGANIC AND GO CAMPING TOOOOO!!!" lol but I got over myself and just smile and say "hey, I don't work here, sorry" and go on about my day, makes it much easier on my nerves. I usually get "oh sorry about that" as a response so no biggie

Old 11-26-2018, 02:36 PM

587 posts, read 423,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post

I get stereotyped quite a bit - I'm a bit of a foodie and enjoy specialty foods from stores like Central Market and Whole Foods. I also like camping, hiking, etc and can be found at REI pretty regularly. People are ALWAYS asking me where "such and such" is when i'm shopping in those stores. They assume I work there (i'm a black female).

I used to want to yell "N*$%^^S EAT ORGANIC AND GO CAMPING TOOOOO!!!" lol but I got over myself and just smile and say "hey, I don't work here, sorry" and go on about my day, makes it much easier on my nerves haha
Hilarious

People should not make assumptions about minorities, that is the point

Old 11-26-2018, 02:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I'm sorry this happens. It's definitely annoying.

Maybe try responding in Spanish just for fun?

As a woman, though, I've been treated like I have less brain cells than men all of my life. Most of us have to deal with some annoying discrimination.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:48 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I have a friend who is Hispanic. In high school, her daughter was referred to a program for first generation college applicants, so they got lots of extra help to work on applications, get counseling to pick schools, etc. Never mind that both my friend and her husband not only have bachelor degrees, they both have graduate degrees. But the school saw an Hispanic surname and assumed.....

My friend's daughter never said anything because it was a way for her to get out of class. lol!

Old 11-26-2018, 02:55 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
How rude.

I'm offended, too. What - no "Cảm ơn"?

Reminds me of the time I was grocery shopping and this white gentleman, who appeared to be a native Houstonian, struck up a conversation with me at the checkout line. After conversing for a few minutes, he suddenly paused, narrowed his eyes, then asked, " Where are you from?"

I understood the implied question, which was asking for my ethnicity. I cheerily replied, upon which he broke out into a big grin and said, " Aha! I thought so!"

He was so proud to have guessed correctly. And not Chinese, like so many folks of all stripes usually guess. LOL

No offense was taken because I did not sense ill will from him, only a sincere curiosity.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:00 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
The OP has just GOT to find something to be offended by. I have Mexican friends that speak better English than I do, and when they do something for me, I say Gracias. They appreciate it. Its called getting along with others, appreciating others heritage, and in generally just enjoying others. Poor OP.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:10 PM

587 posts, read 423,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
The OP has just GOT to find something to be offended by. I have Mexican friends that speak better English than I do, and when they do something for me, I say Gracias. They appreciate it. Its called getting along with others, appreciating others heritage, and in generally just enjoying others. Poor OP.
Somewhat different, you know your friend's heritage, and if you were wrong, would you have then said "Obrigado" and then wrong again, say "Are You Greek?"

Old 11-26-2018, 03:17 PM

813 posts, read 600,907 times
If it had been a Chinese guy instead of a white guy would there have even been a thread?

Rg

Old 11-26-2018, 03:27 PM

17,718 posts, read 9,187,561 times
I think the guy was just trying to be friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships