Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, then please stay offended. <shrug>

There is really nothing else to say.

Hopefully, everybody in the world has read this thread and they all understand the point you are making. lol

Lesson number one, speak only English to Asians in America.

I shared a story earlier, funny nobody has commented on it, so I need to tell it again.

I saw a white guy asking an Asian woman "Excuse me, Can you speak Chinese" in the mall once. The Asian woman acted like she has just been violated or attacked. She answered very angrily, "I was born in California, plus, I have a boyfriend already."

Turned out, the white gentleman is a doctor, and he just wanted somebody translating for him because a Chinese lady with limited English skills needed some medical attention.

My own uncle used to be a doctor without borders. He is white, and many people have asked him questions like, "Are you American? Are you French, etc, etc, etc" People just wanted to get to know him because he was NICE, that is all. sheesh

Yep, people are so guarded any more that they look for reasons to be offended. People need to chill and loosen up a little !

I have people who ask me questions all the time, and I realize they are just interested in me and want to talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 518 times
There appears to be some sort of double standard, for people of Asian descent especially. Why don't people get straight up spoken to in German, Afrikaans, Turkish, or Russian just based on how their face looks?

There are 2nd, 3rd...n-th generation Americans who happen to be ethnically Korean or Filipino, as there are Americans who happen to be ethnically Bulgarian or English. Are Koreans and Filipinos always going to be assumed to have strong ties to their ancestral land and not fully American, even if they were the
76,478th generation? One can only hope that this will not be the case.

At best the type of scenario OP experienced is confusing and smells of ignorance, and at worst it's rather patronizing and paints people as walking stereotypes.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:17 PM

892 posts, read 481,068 times
ignorance abounds in any area with strangers.
my mother is assumed to be from "Dutch land" and speak "Hollandtalk"--all assumed with a perfectly straight face.

Old 03-21-2019, 02:13 PM
miu

17,765 posts, read 40,091,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, then please stay offended. <shrug>

There is really nothing else to say.

Hopefully, everybody in the world has read this thread and they all understand the point you are making. lol

Lesson number one, speak only English to Asians in America.

I shared a story earlier, funny nobody has commented on it, so I need to tell it again.

I saw a white guy asking an Asian woman "Excuse me, Can you speak Chinese" in the mall once. The Asian woman acted like she has just been violated or attacked. She answered very angrily, "I was born in California, plus, I have a boyfriend already."

Turned out, the white gentleman is a doctor, and he just wanted somebody translating for him because a Chinese lady with limited English skills needed some medical attention.

My own uncle used to be a doctor without borders. He is white, and many people have asked him questions like, "Are you American? Are you French, etc, etc, etc" People just wanted to get to know him because he was NICE, that is all. sheesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
[/color]Yep, people are so guarded any more that they look for reasons to be offended. People need to chill and loosen up a little !

I have people who ask me questions all the time, and I realize they are just interested in me and want to talk.
Yesterday at work, a guest tried out his Hawaiian on me. Then he also switched to Cantonese Chinese.

I also realized that this is something that it's mostly men doing to women. It's an opening line, a flirt. And it's an indirect way of indicating and showing off that they are well-traveled, a man of the world.

But on the other hand... the average white, Hispanic or black woman LOVES to be flirted with, all of their lives. They love to know that men are still interested in them sexually. However, I would say that a traditionally raised Asian woman with their more conservative upbringing, is not that interested in male flattery, especially after she is married. We just see no point in getting happily excited that we are still attractive to the opposite sex when we are "off the market".

Old 03-21-2019, 05:37 PM

6,282 posts, read 4,166,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangechips View Post
There appears to be some sort of double standard, for people of Asian descent especially. Why don't people get straight up spoken to in German, Afrikaans, Turkish, or Russian just based on how their face looks?

There are 2nd, 3rd...n-th generation Americans who happen to be ethnically Korean or Filipino, as there are Americans who happen to be ethnically Bulgarian or English. Are Koreans and Filipinos always going to be assumed to have strong ties to their ancestral land and not fully American, even if they were the
76,478th generation? One can only hope that this will not be the case.

At best the type of scenario OP experienced is confusing and smells of ignorance, and at worst it's rather patronizing and paints people as walking stereotypes.

I’ve had people ask me if I’m German, africaan, Australian, and Spanish speakers try to speak to me in Spanish. I’m none of those but I never got in a snit about it.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:12 PM

561 posts, read 322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Many of us are ignorant about those who are different, and interactions like this I think keep people from really getting to know each other because they are afraid of making a blunder like this.
Very much this. I worked with a man of Asian decent and I was very curious to know what country his family was from because I do not just assume everyone Asian is Chinese or everyone Hispanic is Mexican, etc. I never had the nerve to ask however, because he was the type to act offended about things like that and then say he was joking but did it in a manner that still seemed like he was offended. For example someone asked (not him specifically but a group of 4 or 5 of us) if anyone had tried the new restaurant which happened to be Chinese and he said in an annoyed tone "I suppose you assume I like Chinese food???" and then said "aww I'm just kidding" but still sounded annoyed. Anyway I was afraid to ever ask him anything about himself.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:40 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,925,383 times
I think this man was just genuinely trying to be nice to you and you turned around and were rude to him for what reason especially when you knew what he was saying to you!! In a way, you too are also assuming that just because this man was white that he has lived in the US all this time. Maybe he has been living in various places in Asia most of his life and just got a job transfer to CA.

I also don't find it too surprising when CA offers the drivers test in 32 languages and so many of the shopping centers are in foreign languages. There is a reason why....because MANY people there DO speak other languages.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,567,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Yesterday at work, a guest tried out his Hawaiian on me. Then he also switched to Cantonese Chinese.

I also realized that this is something that it's mostly men doing to women. It's an opening line, a flirt. And it's an indirect way of indicating and showing off that they are well-traveled, a man of the world.

But on the other hand... the average white, Hispanic or black woman LOVES to be flirted with, all of their lives. They love to know that men are still interested in them sexually. However, I would say that a traditionally raised Asian woman with their more conservative upbringing, is not that interested in male flattery, especially after she is married. We just see no point in getting happily excited that we are still attractive to the opposite sex when we are "off the market".
No, this isn’t a fact. You’re stereotyping.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:56 PM

6,282 posts, read 4,166,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

But on the other hand... the average white, Hispanic or black woman LOVES to be flirted with, all of their lives. They love to know that men are still interested in them sexually. ".
stereotyping claptrap.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:02 PM

17,375 posts, read 8,962,351 times
Where's the OP? Last Activity: 03-06-2019 09:58 AM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships