Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL that's what I wanted you to think of!

And like you, I also broke down and bought some things. I went up into the attic to peruse all the Christmas stuff and quickly became overwhelmed. I mean, it's sort of an all or nothing thing and I didn't want to go through every single box looking for things only for the living room, which is basically the only room in the house that's not a freaking fiasco right now (we did paint this room before we moved in, thank goodness).

So I bought some Christmas pillows and some Christmas greenery and just decorated my mantel with new stuff and blingged up the winter white pillows with some festive trim to match the mantel. For the first time probably in my life, I didn't put up a tree. I just got out the big ceramic lighted up tree (vintage find last year) and sat it on the hearth and plugged it in. I feel good about that!

We had a great Christmas here last year, full of family and kids and we pulled out all the stops and it was great, but God knows I don't want to do THAT every year!

The one thing that's bugging me is that somewhere in that attic are stocking hangers - but I just can't bring myself to dig through all those boxes to find them. So I am probably going to spring for some new ones. Just what I need to do - buy more Christmas stuff even though I'm decorating less!

Your angel sounds fabulous.

Your ceramic tree sounds perfect for your painting situation - just a little something so we don't feel like a bah humbug. My stocking hangers are also packed away and I ordered some new stockings so just might have to get some of those too.

I have been on a site with a decorator from NYC for some time now - she does a blog and gives lots of great pointers on paint colors and other things. Since you have obviously already picked out your colors you can sign up on her site for future use. She has a great way of writing - very funny lady. I'll get the link and post in under the Home section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
There is a lot of pressure on people to be together over holidays and feel bad if they don't have the family to make that happen..
Part of the problem is everything closes down on holidays. It can make someone feel even more lost and alone. A lot of people would happily work on Thanksgiving or Christmas day, but they can't.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Your ceramic tree sounds perfect for your painting situation - just a little something so we don't feel like a bah humbug. My stocking hangers are also packed away and I ordered some new stockings so just might have to get some of those too.

I have been on a site with a decorator from NYC for some time now - she does a blog and gives lots of great pointers on paint colors and other things. Since you have obviously already picked out your colors you can sign up on her site for future use. She has a great way of writing - very funny lady. I'll get the link and post in under the Home section.
I got it and thank you! I signed up because I really like her style! It was good to get validation that I did indeed pick good colors - LOL. Thank you!

I found my stocking hangers so I am good to go!

Old 12-04-2018, 08:37 AM

85 posts, read 143,356 times
I have to say my best Christmas was the one I spent alone. My mom was supposed to drive up but weather prevented it. I spent the day nestled on the couch under a blanket watching Christmas movies and loving on my kitties! No family drama. It was the most relaxing holiday I've ever had!

Old 12-04-2018, 09:18 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
My extended family will be gathering on Christmas Eve, but I just saw them for Thanksgiving so I don’t plan to attend. I may see my parents on Christmas, but I expect it to be a quiet day overall. I’m happy to have the day off work, but I haven’t made any Christmas plans and I’m fine with just relaxing at home and doing nothing.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I bet it makes the OP's spouse feel really good that his wife spending Christmas with just him is the same as being alone. I guess the thrill is gone in that house. No wonder divorce and cheating are so popular.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I bet it makes the OP's spouse feel really good that his wife spending Christmas with just him is the same as being alone. I guess the thrill is gone in that house. No wonder divorce and cheating are so popular.
I never said that, so maybe you should reread the thread. When I opened the thread, my husband was scheduled to be gone at Christmas. So I was going to be quite alone. Just a couple of days ago, he found out that he will be able to be home for Christmas, so I won't be alone after all - but since I started this thread, I decided to keep interacting. I did make it very clear though that my husband's schedule has changed so he will be home - and I won't be alone.

But thanks for playing!

(No, the thrill is not gone, nor is cheating or divorce on the horizon, by the way.)

Post #1:
Quote:
My husband works two weeks on and two weeks off, and this December he heads back to work on CHRISTMAS EVE.
Post #39:
Quote:
Yay! I think my husband may be home for Christmas eve and Christmas day - I hope so! Will find out for sure soon.
Post #41:
Quote:
OK it's official - it will be very quiet, just my husband and me on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. That in itself will be unique because I don't think we've ever spent Christmas with just the two of us - he's been gone about half the Christmases together and the other half we've always been with family. Interesting.
Post #43:
Quote:
For instance, until my husband's schedule got changed a day or two ago, I was going to spend Christmas and Christmas Eve by myself in my house. That's "alone."

Old 12-04-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
By the way, now that he's going to be home, we are both really excited about spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day together (well, part of Christmas Day - he has to travel back that afternoon). We will not be alone. Not sure what we're going to do yet but I'm totally psyched! It will be our first Christmas without any family visiting - unless we invite his brother and his sister in law, which could happen. But I'm sort of hoping it doesn't!

Old 12-04-2018, 06:26 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
"For instance, until my husband's schedule got changed a day or two ago, I was going to spend Christmas and Christmas Eve by myself in my house. That's "alone.""

What is overlooked in these discussions is the very profound psychological difference in actually being alone in the world and having little to no emotional support versus profoundly actually having a significant other or spouse or others such as relatives or children or friends close or closely in touch in life - even if that spouse or others are away on the day(s) of Christmas.

Knowing that one has the presence of a significant other or spouse in life and whose presence in one's life overall offers enormous emotional support is profoundly different from actually being alone in life.

A good number of seniors are alone in life and are in social isolation....studies and social service agencies have verified this.

Just to know that one has a significant other, a spouse, or people close enough in life is profoundly different psychologically from a person who has no one close in life - for seniors (and some others) this can happen if one has no spouse (through death, divorce, or other reasons) and no children or has children who are not close, and has no one else emotionally close or not close in other ways.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

For instance, until my husband's schedule got changed a day or two ago, I was going to spend Christmas and Christmas Eve by myself in my house. That's "alone."
When your husband was going to be gone working on Christmas day, you said you most likely were going to go to your good friend's house for dinner on Christmas day with she and her husband (and perhaps with other invitees).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships