Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:53 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,090,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Regarding her having the rights of a tenant. You can go to the police and ask them to come talk to her. THey can't remove her, but they can advise her that they are watching her closely, and that she might be better off if she just goes and gets her stuff and leaves quietly right now. Often this will make the scammer realize that the *** is up, and they'll move on.
That would be kinda awesome! Does this really happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 07:00 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,886,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
That would be kinda awesome! Does this really happen?
Has an actual crime been committed? Why would the police say they are watching a random citizen who, up to now, has not done anything illegal?

Just tell her you are aware of her history and do not plan to watch your father become her next victim.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Has an actual crime been committed? Why would the police say they are watching a random citizen who, up to now, has not done anything illegal?

Just tell her you are aware of her history and do not plan to watch your father become her next victim.
Good point.

That just might have the same effect--just making her aware that any attempts to steal money will not be successful.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Good point.

That just might have the same effect--just making her aware that any attempts to steal money will not be successful.
You are going to need to step up as an advocate for your dad, as he would have done when you were a kid.

Let this person know that she may not have chosen such an easy mark.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You are going to need to step up as an advocate for your dad, as he would have done when you were a kid.

Let this person know that she may not have chosen such an easy mark.
If he refuses to tell her to leave I'll make sure that his accounts are protected and credit frozen--and let her know that we are aware of her history.

Her history says it all. I saw her ex-husband's facebook page. He looks like the sweetest old man on the planet. She stole 50k from him. There was a 40-year age difference. They were married for a year.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
If he refuses to tell her to leave I'll make sure that his accounts are protected and credit frozen--and let her know that we are aware of her history.
That's the best bet - keep her from getting at his assets.

You can't control her, so don't waste energy trying to do that. Your dad is apparently competent and has invited her into his life. The best you can do at this point is make sure he is informed, in a non-judgmental way that will make him defensive, and help him safeguard himself.

The fact that she has tenant rights is distressing, but that is what happens in some states when you bring someone into your home.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:46 AM

9,844 posts, read 7,705,923 times
Quote:
We did a background check.

FIL knows a little bit about her past, but not how recent her last marriage was and he doesn't know about the credit card/identity theft from 5 years ago.

I like the loan idea.
I like the loan idea too.

What background check service did you use? Sounds like you got some good info.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:58 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,267,447 times
Your father wondering about the value of his house is a HUGE red flag that the scam is already in the making.
I really don't know what you can do, other than move in with your dad like this woman has.
I'm not sure that you can freeze his bank accounts unless he gives you power of attorney.....were that the case you'd have nothing to worry about.

I think I'd approach her when dad's not around....and give her an earful of the repercussions she will face (from the family) if she tries ripping him off...
Keep a close eye on his bank account...if possible.
The loan idea is a good one....ask him for a loan that equals the value of his home, and tell him you'll make payments....at least he'll have access to his money in small increments.....she will no doubt hate that!!!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I like the loan idea too.

What background check service did you use? Sounds like you got some good info.
Went to the public circuit courts site for my state, which gives only part of the picture. Then I got a friend who knows a cop to flesh it out. The cop was happy to help as he sees this kind of thing all the time--often when it's too late to salvage the old guy's retirement money.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Your father wondering about the value of his house is a HUGE red flag that the scam is already in the making.
I really don't know what you can do, other than move in with your dad like this woman has.
I'm not sure that you can freeze his bank accounts unless he gives you power of attorney.....were that the case you'd have nothing to worry about.

I think I'd approach her when dad's not around....and give her an earful of the repercussions she will face (from the family) if she tries ripping him off...
Keep a close eye on his bank account...if possible.
The loan idea is a good one....ask him for a loan that equals the value of his home, and tell him you'll make payments....at least he'll have access to his money in small increments.....she will no doubt hate that!!!
Yep. Paying an appraiser $500 just because you're curious? I don't think so.

He wouldn't go for the loan idea, unfortunately. He's not rich.

Hopefully we can talk him into freezing accounts for his protection.

We just got the details about her record yesterday.

The sons are talking to him as we speak. Hopefully he'll come to his senses.

Last edited by AguaDulce; 11-29-2018 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships