Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:19 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
1. I have a carpet that costs $500 to clean. It has to be picked up, taken to a facility, and then delivered back. Bc I am a tipper, then it costs the tip. I have totally shopped around. For this size and type of carpet, this is the going price.

2. You don't have to be drunk to spill. In fact, I have never been drunk when I have spilled something (I am rarely if ever drunk, but I admit to spilling things from time to time).

3. Host can say whatever they want. I agree that it seems super weird to ban red wine, but it's their house and their party. I'd ban smoking from mine. *shrug*

But wouldn't you agree that if your house was so incredibly expensively outfitted, you probably wouldn't volunteer to host the neighborhood party? If she lives in the freaking Taj Mahal, she could live there undisturbed and maintain pristine carpets and rugs. BTW, these people have kids and a dog. Their house is lovely, but I'd be willing to bet those kids have spilled from time to time.

ETA: she could always cordon off her rug with velvet ropes like they do in the rooms you tour at the White House or other historic homes. LOL <eyeroll>

Old 12-02-2018, 07:22 PM

999 posts, read 553,136 times
It is weird, but it's within their right to do whatever they want to do. I wouldn't have a party if I was worried about this type of thing, though. Seems it would be difficult to relax and enjoy it.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
It’s different, but I don’t think it’s tacky.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
But wouldn't you agree that if your house was so incredibly expensively outfitted, you probably wouldn't volunteer to host the neighborhood party? If she lives in the freaking Taj Mahal, she could live there undisturbed and maintain pristine carpets and rugs. BTW, these people have kids and a dog. Their house is lovely, but I'd be willing to bet those kids have spilled from time to time.

ETA: she could always cordon off her rug with velvet ropes like they do in the rooms you tour at the White House or other historic homes. LOL <eyeroll>
Oh, totally. Like I said, it seems weird. There is a bunch of other stuff people could spill...but we are all ASSUMING that the reason they don't want red wine there is the staining/carpets.

Maybe there is another reason?

Your post is funny bc when we have parties, we don't include the carpeted areas of the house. Those are mostly the stairs/bedrooms, anyway. The rest is hardwood flooring, travertine, etc, and just the den has the $$$ high maintenance carpet. Living, dining, kitchen, breakfast, 2 x guest bathrooms...all without carpet nearby.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:27 PM

You're right; I'm assuming that's the reason. But what other reason could there be? It's not a religious teetotaler thing because they're serving white wine, beer, and booze.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:35 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,393,535 times
Quote:
Understood. I get that, as I said in the OP. But if you are that persnickety, why host the party? And many things could be spilled on a rug; why ban just red wine? WEIRD. Sorry, it's weird.
Is it customary for the guests to bring Pepsi, punch, cranberry juice or coffee to the party?

They're hosting the party and taking care of the cleanup. "No red wine" isn't an onerous request, especially since they're providing other wine.

Just go and enjoy the party.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:38 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
Anyone who cannot survive for a few hours without access to red wine and anyone who is rabidly outraged by a perfectly reasonable request from the hosts can decline the invitation and spend that time guzzling red wine in their own home to their heart's content.

As someone else said: Their house, their call.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Anyone who cannot survive for a few hours without access to red wine and anyone who is rabidly outraged by a perfectly reasonable request from the hosts can decline the invitation and spend that time guzzling red wine in their own home to their heart's content.

As someone else said: Their house, their call.
"Rabidly outraged?" Okee-dokey then. I said I thought it was weird and I do. I also said I recognized that the host can do/say anything he/she wants to. I find it an odd demand/request. That is all.

ETA: If they had said "BYO beverages, but no Coca-Cola," I would find it equally odd. It's nothing to do with the fact that it's a type of alcohol they're banning; it's the fact that they're banning anything at all. That is just not typical.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
I don't think it's tacky. They are quite obviously within their rights. It's their house!

Old 12-02-2018, 08:06 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,393,535 times
Quote:
"Rabidly outraged?" Okee-dokey then. I said I thought it was weird and I do. I also said I recognized that the host can do/say anything he/she wants to. I find it an odd demand/request. That is all.

ETA: If they had said "BYO beverages, but no Coca-Cola," I would find it equally odd. It's nothing to do with the fact that it's a type of alcohol they're banning; it's the fact that they're banning anything at all. That is just not typical.
My wool rugs came from Goodwill, and my house is hardly the Taj Mahal. Regardless, wool rugs cost hundreds of dollars to clean, and you have to be home for them to be picked up and brought back. There's no guarantee stains are going to come out. Red wine stains are notoriously difficult to remove.

You do seem overly annoyed by this no-red-wine request. Just out of curiosity, do you host these parties on occasion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.