Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I agree, and I doubt she will spend $60 each on all the other girls either.

I really hope OP has seen a dentist now that she has a good job, it would be the best Christmas gift she could give herself. Dental problems do not solve themselves even if the pain has subsided temporarily, they just get worse.

Tooth hurts, what can I do?
It doesn’t hurt anymore, like I said in the thread. It does sometimes but orajel fixes it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 07:23 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
$20 is my cutoff for “friends and coworkers”... I would go up to $50-$60 if it was a very close friend or say a long-time coworker in an extreme situation (diagnosis of cancer, loss of a child, or some other like scenario).

Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I agree, and I doubt she will spend $60 each on all the other girls either.

I really hope OP has seen a dentist now that she has a good job, it would be the best Christmas gift she could give herself. Dental problems do not solve themselves even if the pain has subsided temporarily, they just get worse.

Tooth hurts, what can I do?
Indeed; given this poster's hx I think these gals are taking advantage of her naivete and desperation to be liked. If her current job pays so well she can well afford dental care AND an expenditure of $300 for the secret Santa then sure, but...given these are new friends, and OPs recent bout with homelessness it still seems excessive unless all are pretty solvent. EACH gal buys a $60 gift for ALL FIVE others...seems odd to me.

OP that aspect now makes more sense (NOT a workplace secret Santa), just group of gals deciding together. Gotcha.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:55 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I would never, ever bend over backwards to buy a gift for any adult or even a child. Been there, done that. All it does is lead to more expectations and entitlement.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:00 AM

561 posts, read 324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
Well in the group chat everyone else agreed to do it. So i will as well. Im starting to shop for everyone else next week so I can have the gifts wrapped and ready to go. we are going to celebrate on christmas eve at one of their places. With Hailey I'm going to give the cash toanother person and so is everyone else so they can buy the switch. No one else seemed to have a problem with it. Only Lily and she hasn't really said anything else.

I dont know, actually I really dont have a problem with it. At least Hailey will get something she likes and will hopefully enjoy it. I mean i'd rather her get a gift she does like rather then get six gift she doesn't, if that makes any sense. I guess I was just worried that everyone would be mad, and that Lily was mad at me. Who knows. But no one else seems to be mind really.
So essentially Lily was shamed or guilted into spending more than she felt comfortable with for a Christmas Gift so she wasn't seen as the cheapskate......that's the real spirit of the season now days.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
So essentially Lily was shamed or guilted into spending more than she felt comfortable with for a Christmas Gift so she wasn't seen as the cheapskate......that's the real spirit of the season now days.
I have heard several times from others that she’s cheap but I honestly haven’t noticed but I haven’t hung out with just her one on one either. She’s really nice

Old 12-04-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Indeed; given this poster's hx I think these gals are taking advantage of her naivete and desperation to be liked. If her current job pays so well she can well afford dental care AND an expenditure of $300 for the secret Santa then sure, but...given these are new friends, and OPs recent bout with homelessness it still seems excessive unless all are pretty solvent. EACH gal buys a $60 gift for ALL FIVE others...seems odd to me.

OP that aspect now makes more sense (NOT a workplace secret Santa), just group of gals deciding together. Gotcha.
Im not desperate. I just made friends. One of the girls came up to me first. And then I met the others and now we are friends.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:17 AM

561 posts, read 324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle woods View Post
It doesn’t hurt anymore, like I said in the thread. It does sometimes but orajel fixes it.

"Thanks for all the suggestions. Trying to save up money to go to a dental college. Right now the tooth pain has gone but I still have pain there sometimes I honestly just use orajel and it works"

If you were my friend I would want you to go see a dentist before I'd want you spending money on expensive gifts that I could probably afford for myself if I wanted it that badly.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
$20 is my cutoff for “friends and coworkers”... I would go up to $50-$60 if it was a very close friend or say a long-time coworker in an extreme situation (diagnosis of cancer, loss of a child, or some other like scenario).
I agree.

Hello Belle, I'm glad that you are getting back on your feet.

IMHO, spending $60 on a Christmas gift for a friend, especially a new friend of just a few weeks, is completely out of line. IMHO, she was rude and selfish to even ask that of her friends. Do you really think that person will be spending $60 on each of her gifts for all of you? I rather doubt it. I bet that if I asked the younger adults (mid 20s to early 30s) that I know with excellent salaries ($50,000 to $100,000 a year) none of them would spend that much to purchase a holiday gift for a friend. Frankly, I suspect that this new friend is taking advantage of you and others in the group.

However, I should point out that among my friend group (most of us have been friends for 25 to 40 years) we never exchanged holiday presents. We had secret Santa at work where we exchanged names and bought one gift (over the years it changed from a maximum of $10 to $20) and we occasional did "White Elephant Gift Exchanges" (exchanged odd or unusual items from our homes). We also occasionally regifted nice, new presents that we didn't want and they would appreciate. But, I do know that some friend groups do exchange gifts, but usually exchange names so they just buy one gift.

All that being said, I am very happy for you that you have happy plans for Christmas. I am sure that means a lot to you.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
"Thanks for all the suggestions. Trying to save up money to go to a dental college. Right now the tooth pain has gone but I still have pain there sometimes I honestly just use orajel and it works"

If you were my friend I would want you to go see a dentist before I'd want you spending money on expensive gifts that I could probably afford for myself if I wanted it that badly.
I mean they don’t know about my teeth? I haven’t said anything bc it hasn’t been hurting. I couldn’t go to the dentist at the time bc I was saving all my money to move into my place. I have moved so now I can spend money again.

The gift exchange doesn’t have anything to do with my teeth. Someone else brought that up which was weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships