Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:07 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion of getting or giving gift cards as a gift?

My mate loves to get them and his family all.asks for them. My family recoils in horror if you give them one (except for a teenage cousin who likes getting them from a certain clothing store.) My family puts s big emphasis on handmade or very personal gifts and therefore doesn't like gift cards.

Do gift cards seem impersonal or are they a godsend for a busy holiday shopper? (Yes. Before the lecture starts let's assume everyone is grateful for any gift. But people do have preferences.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 02:25 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
What constitutes a homemade or personal gift? Something with me in mind, or the giver in mind?

I ask for gift cards. It's wonderful to go out for a meal, to a movie, or buy a new sweater and I have a gift card in my wallet to cover it.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
What constitutes a homemade or personal gift? Something with me in mind, or the giver in mind?

I ask for gift cards. It's wonderful to go out for a meal, to a movie, or buy a new sweater and I have a gift card in my wallet to cover it.
Let's see..

One year I got a stained glass lamp made by a relative who does that. Another year a beautiful quilt. I paint and often do portraits of pets, kids, the individual, their house. That kind of stuff. My nieces sewed dolls and bears for our baby.

Years ago I got a gift card to a very expensive restaurant from a fiancee's mom. I could not afford the tip on the meal as I was in school and struggling. I donated it to a women's shelter who used it to take several of the residents out. My almost mother in law never forgave me when she found out. That Christmas I had given her a pot I threw (I used to do a lot of pottery and taught classes in the evening.) She acted pleased but it went into the garage where I saw it on later visits. Not everyone values the same thing.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:39 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
I think it comes down to personal preference.

I ADORE gift cards, because I am generally very picky and hard to shop for. I can use gift cards to pick out what I want. I'm also often "saving" for larger ticket items, and can put the gift cards toward it.

My family has transitioned to using Amazon wish lists, so we choose individual items that we want and it works fairly well (except for the flurry of texts in November telling people to update their lists lol). My list is a mix of actual items I want, and stores that i would like gift cards to.

I would prefer not to receive anything homemade. It's not my style, and I find all homemade gifts to be the style of the giver, not the recipient. Not my taste at all. I'm grateful you wanted to give me a gift, but now I have to figure out where to stash this thing in my home until it's polite to get rid of it. It would have been easier to not exchange.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I think it comes down to personal preference.

I ADORE gift cards, because I am generally very picky and hard to shop for. I can use gift cards to pick out what I want. I'm also often "saving" for larger ticket items, and can put the gift cards toward it.

My family has transitioned to using Amazon wish lists, so we choose individual items that we want and it works fairly well (except for the flurry of texts in November telling people to update their lists lol). My list is a mix of actual items I want, and stores that i would like gift cards to.

I would prefer not to receive anything homemade. It's not my style, and I find all homemade gifts to be the style of the giver, not the recipient. Not my taste at all. I'm grateful you wanted to give me a gift, but now I have to figure out where to stash this thing in my home until it's polite to get rid of it. It would have been easier to not exchange.
True. Over the years I have been gifted some handmade stuff that was very thoughtful but not my style. And there's so much put into it you can't throw it out. But I have also gotten some gorgeous and unique things. I often lose gift cards and find them after they expire but at least they don't add to clutter.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
When I give a gift, I like to give a really good gift. Running into the grocery store and buying a card of the rack is very unsatisfying, though I realize that's about me, not the recipient.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Asian culture goes directly for the red money envelope... time to pick up that tradition

Old 12-04-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When I give a gift, I like to give a really good gift. Running into the grocery store and buying a card of the rack is very unsatisfying, though I realize that's about me, not the recipient.
Not always.

I love it when my mate gets something that shows he was really listening and I can't say that's ever been a gift card. He's pretty good at getting some incredibly romantic and beautiful gifts. I love finding the exact right thing for him too. But he's honestly happy with a gift card.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Asian culture goes directly for the red money envelope... time to pick up that tradition
Tell me about it.

My mate is Japanese American and Argentinian. The Asian relatives can be very angry if the gift card isn't big enough but they don't say anything directly. The Argentinian relatives only want gift cards to Gucci, Chanel, Prada, Versace etc.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:07 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
I love shopping for the perfect gift...but for some people, a gift card IS the perfect gift. Like, my husband prefers gift cards to Best Buy, and my brother prefers gift cards to Bass Pro Shop. As a matter of fact, they look forward to receiving those gift cards.

I've gotten to the point that I just ask people what they'd like. I've have my SIL's name this year, and I just asked her what she'd like. She'd like a new set of towels. I'm going to give her a new set of towels. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships