Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 04:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

i like the bottle of scotch suggestion and maybe a neck/shoulder massage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 05:10 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
However, it is always unprofessional to give your boss a present. Even if it is a trivial gift, you will be putting him in a false position.
That's news to me, my colleagues, and our boss... we often give each other little gifts, not only for the holidays, but also maybe if we traveled somewhere interesting. Guess we just have a friendlier work environment, and aren't so hung up on the "boss vs employees" nonsense. That could be due to the nature of our profession, as it's not corporate and we all have the same degree (MLIS) + similar backgrounds. So we're less like underlings to her, and more like equal counterparts who just don't have as much responsibility.

Now, I'm not talking about anything elaborate or expensive - LITTLE things, like a pretty bookmark with my boss's name which I got her on a recent trip. She collects bookmarks and has an old-fashioned name you don't always see on personalized stuff these days, so I knew she'd like it. The bookmark is now hanging in her office, and she was really touched by the thought! Also just gave her a bag of gelt (chocolate coins) for Chanukah, which cost me a whopping $2.75.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:20 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Speaking of work-appropriate gifts, we're doing a gift exchange at our staff holiday party tonight... the limit was $10, and I actually had a tough time finding something for that! Ended up getting a nice hot cocoa (actually called "sipping chocolate") mix + a package of apple cider, put together in a little gift bag. We do this every year, and most people stick with things like gift cards, chocolate, wine, kitchen utensils/ware, funny socks, and other universally-acceptable items. We're a very diverse crowd, with people of all religious beliefs and cultures, so I try to steer away from Christmas-specific items. The one year I did get something Christmas-related (an ugly sweater cookie kit), it ended up in the hands of a Hindu/Indian employee - which is even funnier because of the fact that I'm Jewish.

Anyway, the items I listed are generally safe for work situations; and if they don't like it for whatever reason, they can always re-gift later! We do the exchange "White Elephant" style, and the ones people tend to fight over are the wine and gift cards. So if you wanna be popular, go with one of those.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:27 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
However, it is always unprofessional to give your boss a present. Even if it is a trivial gift, you will be putting him in a false position.
Do most of you agree with this?

I'm a senior, and it was always expected to give at least your immediate supervisor something, and this has been my husband's experience as well. Have times changed?

Btw, neither my husband nor I have received any negative feedback about this. Usually the 'big boss' and one's immediate supervisor gets something like a bottle of nice wine, and the employees all receive a $50 supermarket certificate with their checks.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:06 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A nice card with a note wishing him a happy holiday season and mentioning how you look forward to working with him in the New Year would probably be enough. If you don't know him well you don't need to be buying him a gift (and if he's senior to you, at work gifts should flow down, not up.)
That's true, for sure. If a senior employee provides a lower-ranking one a gift, it's obviously done to acknowledge a job well-done. But if an underling sends a gift to someone higher on the ladder, it would probably be seen as attempting to butter them up.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Do most of you agree with this?

I'm a senior, and it was always expected to give at least your immediate supervisor something, and this has been my husband's experience as well. Have times changed?

Btw, neither my husband nor I have received any negative feedback about this. Usually the 'big boss' and one's immediate supervisor gets something like a bottle of nice wine, and the employees all receive a $50 supermarket certificate with their checks.
YES, I agree that I would never buy my boss a gift and neither has my DH. I don't agree since my boss is also the owner of the company and makes WAY more than I do. If anything, it should be the other way around.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
That's way too much to spend.
I agree. $50 on a coworker you barely know is WAY too much. If anything, get a $10 starbuck's card. I still think no gift would be best.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:45 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
Starting a new job in a couple of wks, just in time for Christmas. I would be working alongside one person (this person was responsible for me getting hired). I would like to get him something small and thoughtful. I don't know him so i don't want to spend much. But i would like to do something a bit better than just a Starbucks gift card. Any suggestions?
I'd love a Starbucks gift card! Maybe a Starbucks gift card with a nice note.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:37 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
A bottle of wine or a small box of high quality candies seems pretty inoffensive to me. They can alway regift if they cant use it. I guess they could be diabetic or a non alcohol drinker but I think you can suss that out pretty easily without giving away that your assessing gifting possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships