Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 06:54 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

I was at Walgreen's the other day queued up with a few chatty women. Another woman joined the line and joined the conversation. Having nothing further to contribute, I turned away and started looking at photos of our new home on my phone. There's a 3D app on Zillow that I hadn't been able to get to work on my laptop but I saw it was working on my phone.

So I'm doing 360 degree views of various areas in the house when a voice says, "House hunting?" I said no, this is the house we bought a few weeks ago.

I wasn't offended by the intrusion but it got me to thinking later how maybe our eyes are involuntarily drawn to those little glowing screens and maybe we don't realize it. Do people try to look at your phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:12 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I was at Walgreen's the other day queued up with a few chatty women. Another woman joined the line and joined the conversation. Having nothing further to contribute, I turned away and started looking at photos of our new home on my phone. There's a 3D app on Zillow that I hadn't been able to get to work on my laptop but I saw it was working on my phone.

So I'm doing 360 degree views of various areas in the house when a voice says, "House hunting?" I said no, this is the house we bought a few weeks ago.

I wasn't offended by the intrusion but it got me to thinking later how maybe our eyes are involuntarily drawn to those little glowing screens and maybe we don't realize it. Do people try to look at your phone?
People are inherently curious (aka nosey ) so it wouldn't surprise me if they have. However, no one has ever made a comment to me about it.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:32 AM

587 posts, read 423,507 times
I do quick side turns every once in awhile when on my phone, as if to see something from the side, but it's a way to combat peering eyes.

A few times I've caught the motion of someone quickly turning away, so I presume they were looking at my direction, whether at my phone who knows.

I usually position my phone that people can't really see over.

Where do you live that 1) Walgreens has long lines 2) people "join in line conversations"?

Old 12-07-2018, 07:41 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Perfectly acceptable in a public place anything being displayed is fair game.

If you don’t like it go read your twitter feed in privacy.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:46 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
Someone was looking at mine out of the corner of her eye a couple of days ago. Not sure why people are really drawn to look, yet do it surreptitiously. I could see this woman look quick out of the corner of her eye at my phone, look straight down, look quick at my phone, look straight down. She got into it so that she didn't notice me look at her out of the corner of my own eye. She was looking at my phone and frowning a little like she was trying to figure out what she was even looking at on my phone. So I helped her out and enlarged it. I had no doubt she was looking at my phone when she gasped and moved away quickly. I was looking at pix of the copperhead I had recently come across.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Where do you live that 1) Walgreens has long lines 2) people "join in line conversations"?

Silicon Valley.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I was looking at pix of the copperhead I had recently come across.

Maybe she initially thought it was a trouser snake.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:01 AM

587 posts, read 423,507 times
This post of people looking at others' phones reminded me of an incident earlier in the year when a lady saw the man next to her on the plane texting mean things about her...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ntervened.html

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Yes I typically dim my screen when I'm viewing sensitive information or wait until nobody is around to mobile banking.

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Rude and irritating. I don't carry a phone (strange I know) with me and use a pc as a phone at home so this would never happen to me BUT if it did I would be pissed.

I always avert my eyes when near someone using a phone so as to NOT see what they're doing; I'm big into boundaries like that.

How pathetically desperate for human interaction must someone be to look at a stranger's phone and COMMENT on what is displyed thereon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships