Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:50 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times

Advertisements

That all those folks in our lives...you know, the ones, the family members and friends that are constantly bragging about how much money they have, constantly...appear to be 'broke' or living on Social Security when you need them the most...? Give and give and give...then when you 'ask'... nada. Never felt so alone and sad in my life. I feel like an orphan...
K

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-07-2018 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Edited thread title for clarification; moved thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:55 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
That all those folks in our lives...you know, the ones, the family members and friends that are constantly bragging about how much money they have, constantly...appear to be 'broke' or living on Social Security when you need them the most...? Give and give and give...then when you 'ask'... nada. Never felt so alone and sad in my life. I feel like an orphan...
K
I'm sorry. So you asked them for money and they said no?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:55 AM

157 posts, read 89,405 times
Quote:
K

It's also possible they're just BSing you about how much money they have. Keeping up appearances and all......

Old 12-07-2018, 11:57 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Why do you "give and give and give" if you can't afford to do so? No need to answer, just something for you to think about.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:35 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Sometimes, in phases of life, people can be "in the money" and then life circumstances happen, and they're not "in the money" so much anymore.

For instance, they bought a house, or have a big hospital bill, or had more taken out of their paycheck for 401K, or they're living on a fixed income, put a kid through college, and on and on and on.

Old 12-07-2018, 12:38 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Do you feel they owe you for some reason? Resentment feelings...?

Old 12-07-2018, 12:38 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
That said, I used to have a brother in law, and his wife, who one year, for Christmas, they didn't give their nieces and nephew (just 3 kids at the time) any Christmas presents. They claimed they couldn't afford it that year. Meanwhile, she's sporting a new diamond necklace.

The kids were little. They would've been happy with a coloring book and crayons. So...I know "those folks" are out there.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:06 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
Quote:
K
Can you provide some actual example of ways that you have given and given and given? And what you asked for? That would make it easier to make a judgment.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:13 PM

51 posts, read 33,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Sometimes, in phases of life, people can be "in the money" and then life circumstances happen, and they're not "in the money" so much anymore.

For instance, they bought a house, or have a big hospital bill, or had more taken out of their paycheck for 401K, or they're living on a fixed income, put a kid through college, and on and on and on.
I agree, I used to be "in the money" a few years ago. Gave over 5 grand to get someone I have not talked to since I was a kid a pump to save her life, and also a friend that was in the hospital due to a serious problem and doctors told her she has to take time off but could not afford it, loaned her 4 grand and took 4 months off and got her dream job because of it. No longer "in the money" now, that stuff is hard to come by. So I try just being there for people now.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:14 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times
I’m reading this as the op has helped them in the past and is now in need of help and neither of them are helping him/her in need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships