Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Hey hey

Curious on how you balance out seeing family during the Holiday?

So my wife and I are on opposite holiday schedules. My wife works eves on holidays. I work Thanksgiving and New Year's Eve & Days. Wife works Christmas and uncertain what she will work for New Year's.

Now my mom works a part time job now where she works days during the holidays. Mom worked Thanksgiving. Worked days was a 2 hour drive with dinner at 5PM left work at 4PM so my wife, my MIL, and I had Thanksgiving at home.

I haven't seen my family side for 1 Christmas. My wife's side 2 Christmas's. Families both eat around 4 and are 90 mins apart.

Curious on any suggestions how to balance sewing both families this Christmas or impossible???

Thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I can't keep track of all that, but you need to look at all your schedules and find a time when you are all free. Or don't. With that many schedules, you might not find a time to get together with one or both families. I've never had that many odd schedules to contend with.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:44 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I can't keep track of all that, but you need to look at all your schedules and find a time when you are all free. Or don't. With that many schedules, you might not find a time to get together with one or both families. I've never had that many odd schedules to contend with.
Well the game plan the wife and I are thinking is:
Friend 1 Saturday before Christmas
Friend 2 & 3 Sunday before Christmas
Grandma and Grandpa from my side of the family Christmas Eve Lunch
Mom Christmas Eve Dinner
Wife and I Christmas Morning
MIL & Wife's side of the family Christmas Day Afternoon
Then Christmas Day Evening up in the air lol

Old 12-12-2018, 10:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
way too much effort - the holidays are just not that important - you already have it worked out, so no need to give it more thought

Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 PM

23,301 posts, read 18,837,889 times
There is no way I would orchestrate holidays that tightly. I would exercise my hard-earned ability to just say no (but in a very charming manner) and plan to visit some of those people at other times. Unless they really look forward to welcoming someone who is poised to bolt out the door shortly in order to make the next appointment.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:41 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
OP, sounds like you and your wife would be candidates for "Christmas in July" celebrations. lol

Old 12-13-2018, 07:50 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Be thankful for satisfactory jobs to provide and family to enjoy life with. Everything else works itself out.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Maybe host a party the week before or after Christmas at your house for both families.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Well the game plan the wife and I are thinking is:
Friend 1 Saturday before Christmas
Friend 2 & 3 Sunday before Christmas
Grandma and Grandpa from my side of the family Christmas Eve Lunch
Mom Christmas Eve Dinner
Wife and I Christmas Morning
MIL & Wife's side of the family Christmas Day Afternoon
Then Christmas Day Evening up in the air lol
Oh my, I'm getting a headache just reading that schedule.

What we did, and what many of my friends did, was celebrate one holiday with one side of the family and a different holiday with the other side of the family (ie. Thanksgiving with my parents & Christmas with the in-laws). Plus, especially when our children were young we sometimes just spent a holiday with our immediate family in our own home.

I always thought that it was ridiculous for young couples (especially after having children) to rush between several houses on a holiday. I once had a co-worker who would eat three Thanksgiving meals, first one at her parent's house, then another meal at his mom & step-dad's house & finally another meal at his dad & step-mom's house. They did that for several years as all of the parents insisted that they were the "priority". IMHO, if you are old enough to be married you are old enough to have a quiet holiday at your own home with just your spouse (if that is what you want to do).

Old 12-13-2018, 08:29 AM

924 posts, read 752,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Oh my, I'm getting a headache just reading that schedule.

What we did, and what many of my friends did, was celebrate one holiday with one side of the family and a different holiday with the other side of the family (ie. Thanksgiving with my parents & Christmas with the in-laws). Plus, when our children were young we sometimes just spent a holiday with our immediate family in our own home.
My uncle James and Aunt Myrtle did something similar - Thanksgivings were spent with her family, and Christmas would be spent with his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships