Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:00 PM

388 posts, read 471,924 times

Advertisements

There is terrific food available this time of year, even though I avoid religions.

This week I purchased a spiral-cut ham, cut off fat and skin yesterday for freezing excess, and the bone has been making broth in the slow cooker all night. Today: filtering and freezing.

This weekend I'll make my favorite stuffing and eat it with mushroom gravy I made during Thanksgiving (froze half).

See's has a holiday pop-up shop here so I've been enjoying some of their fresh chocolates - a fav from childhood.

This time of year brings with it quite a bit of drama with families, etc. I enjoy being alone anyway and now is definitely the time to do so.

Great food, good books, the internet, and a dog to cuddle - a great recipe for happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
There is terrific food available this time of year, even though I avoid religions.

This week I purchased a spiral-cut ham, cut off fat and skin yesterday for freezing excess, and the bone has been making broth in the slow cooker all night. Today: filtering and freezing.

This weekend I'll make my favorite stuffing and eat it with mushroom gravy I made during Thanksgiving (froze half).

See's has a holiday pop-up shop here so I've been enjoying some of their fresh chocolates - a fav from childhood.

This time of year brings with it quite a bit of drama with families, etc. I enjoy being alone anyway and now is definitely the time to do so.

Great food, good books, the internet, and a dog to cuddle - a great recipe for happiness.

Exactly! My favorite day too only mine involves cats

Enjoy, profnot...

Old 12-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'll be with my team in a foreign country prior to deploying. We'll probably sit down for a team dinner and enjoy each other's company.

If I was home in Honolulu, I'd probably make a traditional southern dinner for the Christmas period, and watch the fireworks at my building for the New Year.

After each, I'd snuggle up on the couch next to my cat while watching something on Netflix.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE!

Be safe in your journeys....

Old 12-22-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I won't be alone this Christmas, for a change. While I still haven't decorated at all, I will put up a tree this weekend, as well as stockings. It feels so strange to be doing this stuff after a decade of doing nothing and mostly being alone. I'm trying to be excited about it and appreciate it. While I'm glad I finally won't be alone, it kind of feels bittersweet. I don't know how to explain it exactly. Maybe its just middle age and a bit of cynicism. Makes me miss being a kid, or having a family of my own. I know I'd be more excited about it if I'd had kids.

In addition, I do have the week off, so there's that. However, my s.o. and I don't have big plans for the week after Christmas. It will be nice to sleep in, go the gym, or just read and binge watch something.

I know the feeling of trying to be excited....but you are decorating! Bittersweet feelings when you don't fit the televised "perfect family Christmas". But another blue million of us don't have or participate in those types of holidays...and that's ok too...it's not bad just different. No kids? Give to the toy drive or support a family for Christmas.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:07 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,641,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
we used to hang socks on the end of our beds and mum would put an orange and quality street sweets in and 50p. We were poor but those were some fond memories.
Wow. You just reminded me about the quarters. We had the orange and the sweets, but now I'm remembering she'd put in some quarters too. She's coming in a few days.. I'll have to ask her and see if she remembers. It's been 30 years since she made me a stocking!

Old 12-22-2018, 10:16 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,641,742 times
I'm not quite alone, but it can feel that way. I've been employed as a pet sitter for the last 5 Christmas seasons and I spend most of the day working. It sorta sucks for the kids, but their dad is home and he steps in to make it better.

Yesterday I took time out of the day to take a short hike in a neighborhood that butts up against a wilderness preserve on one of our local mountains. I timed it so that I would be walking at the time of the solstice and the weather was unusually favorable to witness and enjoy the sun at the moment fall turned into winter. That's not an experience I would want to have shared with anyone anyway.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm not quite alone, but it can feel that way. I've been employed as a pet sitter for the last 5 Christmas seasons and I spend most of the day working. It sorta sucks for the kids, but their dad is home and he steps in to make it better.

Yesterday I took time out of the day to take a short hike in a neighborhood that butts up against a wilderness preserve on one of our local mountains. I timed it so that I would be walking at the time of the solstice and the weather was unusually favorable to witness and enjoy the sun at the moment fall turned into winter. That's not an experience I would want to have shared with anyone anyway.

You're right...that kind of experience is best alone...
great idea to watch it! Never entered my mind.
I know owners are so pleased to have you as their pet sitter...very important job!!

Old 12-22-2018, 02:10 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,629,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Again this year, I'd like to hear how single CD posters, who will be alone on Christmas and New Years, or Hanukkah, will be spending their days until January 2nd.

Will you cook up a storm for yourself?
Will you buy yourself something special?
Maybe build a fire and read with pets close by?
Or do home projects, hobbies?
Or possibly no real plans?
Nope not cooking. Hoping to find a Hibachi place open when I get off work on Xmas eve.
No real plans. Probably laundry (most from my trip in Cleveland this weekend) and Xbox. Roommates are gone so the house to myself.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:43 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Again this year, I'd like to hear how single CD posters, who will be alone on Christmas and New Years, or Hanukkah, will be spending their days until January 2nd.....
I have been disengaged from the idea of Christmas and New Year's Eve as special days for decades. They are simply extra Sundays, but with almost everything closed. So, I pick out old books and music to spend these two days enjoying again, no special cooking or any decorating. The rest of the days in this period are pleasant, normal days.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Nope not cooking. Hoping to find a Hibachi place open when I get off work on Xmas eve.
No real plans. Probably laundry (most from my trip in Cleveland this weekend) and Xbox. Roommates are gone so the house to myself.

Hibachi sounds really good to me! Enjoy your quiet time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships