Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:46 AM

323 posts, read 218,751 times

Advertisements

Haha sorry i laughed at what he spray painted on your house...that just seems like an immature thing to spell.
Anyway well he's running from someone or something with using your address. Yea legally you can figure out where he is.

Also you can just write no such name return to sender.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:16 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Simply cannot understand why anyone, admittedly informed, experienced or not, would permit this. OP stop enabling this "stranger". No way would I continue to allow someone to expose me to trouble in this manner.

There must be a question you need to answer that you are not sharing here. What do you owe him? Why does he have this hold over you? You happen to share DNA but it sounds like that's about all.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
he do this? I haven't seen him in a decade. Long story for another post Let me answer first, yes; I'd be somewhat open to reconciliation. That is not the question or the issue here.

I am a professional private investigator and I have a fair amount of knowledge of the law. I have a masters in a related field and over 25 years of experience. Over the years, I've seen many weird and effed up things.

Usually address fraud has a reason - voting, getting benifits from living in a certain area, voting, education - reduced instate tuition, or a better school district and a myriad of other things.

My son is NOT using our address for any of these reasons. He is 30, and obviously; I'm not responsible for his debts, which appear to be considerable.

We receive his mail - ALL of it. It upsets my wife a lot, for some reason. Lately, I have found it annoying.

Legally, although I can, I am not at liberty to investigate his credit - which could give me an idea of where he resides.

My question is - why in the world would he continue to use my address and not his own? Accidentally, seeing my last name on what looks like a bill - my wife goes by her maiden name - I opened up a bill from a state university in Florida that says that he can't register for classes because of an out standing balance. So, I know that he is still attempting to complete his undergrad degree, in nursing, it appears. We live in OH so he is not using the address to get lower tuition.

My wife is not comfortable with him knowing our address and with us not knowing ours. He hates her. He has had mental health issues, which run in his mother's family. He has broken things, smashed windows and spray painted "douchbaggers live here" on our former house before leaving to live at his maternal uncle's home.

He once threw my wife to the floor. At the time, I prevented her from calling the cops and pressing charges because I did not want him to have a criminal record. He was 15 at the time. I realize now that I should have let my wife call the police, but I was being protective of my son.

My wife has always thought that he was capable of violence. Even to the extent of murder. I do not.

It appears that he has lived in FL. NY. Washington State and OR. However, his ADDRESS is always mine.

1. Why would he hide his address?
2.. If fraud is not the intent, has he broken the law?
3. What can he glean from doing this?
4. He is bi-polar and my wife thinks he is not suited for the nursing profession. I think she's right. Should she do anything about that?
5. Should I be concerned with this?
6. Should I call the board of elections? The DMV? Our address is on all of this.

Do you think my wife is over reacting? She never wants to see a piece of mail from him again. Am I missing something? If I report this to the post master, won't we be on the wrong side of the law for opening his mail?

I need advise.
As a private investigator, I assume you are too emotionally fraught to understand this situation the way you normally would if it was someone else . . . First of all, send every piece of mail back to the sender - write on the envelope: RETURN TO SENDER - Addressee NOT at this address!

There is no way to know what he is doing and if you send the mail back, you won't have to wonder.

I don't think you should report him to anyone - just send the mail back and move on.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:22 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So you haven't seen your son in a decade. And, don't know his real address.

What have you done with all of those years and years of mail?
Good question!

Old 12-26-2018, 02:55 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There must be a question you need to answer that you are not sharing here.
I agree.

He knocked your wife down, OP, and you favored him by letting him get away with it. I have no doubt your wife remembers that.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
Haha sorry i laughed at what he spray painted on your house...that just seems like an immature thing to spell.
Anyway well he's running from someone or something with using your address. Yea legally you can figure out where he is.

Also you can just write no such name return to sender.
I am aware of this. I just can't figure out WHY he uses our address. People do things for a reason Motive. I am decidedly NOT looking for this "kid".

What does he get from using my address? Admittedly, I am too close to the situation. Also, I know I was afraid to "lose" him, and I let him get away with things that I never should.

I will admit that I do not know why it bothers my wife so much that she can't let it go. I have no interest in him.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
I will admit that I do not know why it bothers my wife so much that she can't let it go. I have no interest in him.
Because you appear to be doing nothing to STOP it. You KNOW what needs to be done, but you won't do it. Why not?

It may not be accurate, but it appears that through your inaction you are valuing his feelings over your wife's, even though you don't see or speak to him.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:21 PM

407 posts, read 369,918 times
Quote:
You've stated that he has mental health issues. That he hates her. That he's vandalized your property many times. That he PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED her.

And you wonder why she can't let it go? She's not worried about your interest in him. She's worried about her own safety. I would be too if I were her.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:40 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
OP; you could find him if you darn well wanted to. You don’t really want to.

I’m wondering; is your wife not his mother? Open the mail & let it create a paper trail for you:

Quote:
A federal statute known as 18 USC Section 1702 makes it illegal to open correspondence addressed to someone else. However, the law cannot be applied if you did not recognize that the mail was not yours when you opened it.
https://thelawdictionary.org/article...ressed-to-you/

“Oops, darn last name; did it again!” Not that you would ever be questioned. I highly doubt you are receiving ALL of his mail. He’s probably getting a PO Box wherever he goes & uses your address as his “physical” address.

Quote:
Usually address fraud has a reason - voting, getting benifits from living in a certain area, voting, education - reduced instate tuition, or a better school district and a myriad of other things.

My son is NOT using our address for any of these reasons. He is 30, and obviously; I'm not responsible for his debts, which appear to be considerable.

We receive his mail - ALL of it. It upsets my wife a lot, for some reason. Lately, I have found it annoying.
That’s because you are only getting the “annoying mail”. Like bills n stuff.

Quote:
He once threw my wife to the floor. At the time, I prevented her from calling the cops and pressing charges because I did not want him to have a criminal record. He was 15 at the time. I realize now that I should have let my wife call the police, but I was being protective of my son.

My wife has always thought that he was capable of violence. Even to the extent of murder. I do not.
Interesting dynamic ... I have 6 grown sons & if one of them threw me to the floor in front of their old man? They’d be screaming “Please call 911!”

Quote:
4. He is bi-polar and my wife thinks he is not suited for the nursing profession. I think she's right. Should she do anything about that?
5. Should I be concerned with this?
Do you think my wife is over reacting? She never wants to see a piece of mail from him again.
I don’t think he will make it through nursing (RN since 1992) & your biggest problem is that she doesn’t want to see HIM ever again.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:44 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
You've stated that he has mental health issues. That he hates her. That he's vandalized your property many times. That he PHYSICALLY ASSAULTED her.

And you wonder why she can't let it go? She's not worried about your interest in him. She's worried about her own safety. I would be too if I were her.
Exactly. I would have left the OP the day his son assaulted me and he didn't call the police.

There are many reasons why the son may be using his father's address. He could be living on the street, he could be couch surfing, he could be hiding from the debt collectors. He could be doing it because he's Mentally I'll. OP is making a simple problem with the mail difficult. All he has to do is take the mail back to the Post Office. He can also get a post office box and have his street delivery stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships