Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 09:39 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times

Advertisements

he do this? I haven't seen him in a decade. Long story for another post Let me answer first, yes; I'd be somewhat open to reconciliation. That is not the question or the issue here.

I am a professional private investigator and I have a fair amount of knowledge of the law. I have a masters in a related field and over 25 years of experience. Over the years, I've seen many weird and effed up things.

Usually address fraud has a reason - voting, getting benifits from living in a certain area, voting, education - reduced instate tuition, or a better school district and a myriad of other things.

My son is NOT using our address for any of these reasons. He is 30, and obviously; I'm not responsible for his debts, which appear to be considerable.

We receive his mail - ALL of it. It upsets my wife a lot, for some reason. Lately, I have found it annoying.

Legally, although I can, I am not at liberty to investigate his credit - which could give me an idea of where he resides.

My question is - why in the world would he continue to use my address and not his own? Accidentally, seeing my last name on what looks like a bill - my wife goes by her maiden name - I opened up a bill from a state university in Florida that says that he can't register for classes because of an out standing balance. So, I know that he is still attempting to complete his undergrad degree, in nursing, it appears. We live in OH so he is not using the address to get lower tuition.

My wife is not comfortable with him knowing our address and with us not knowing ours. He hates her. He has had mental health issues, which run in his mother's family. He has broken things, smashed windows and spray painted "douchbaggers live here" on our former house before leaving to live at his maternal uncle's home.

He once threw my wife to the floor. At the time, I prevented her from calling the cops and pressing charges because I did not want him to have a criminal record. He was 15 at the time. I realize now that I should have let my wife call the police, but I was being protective of my son.

My wife has always thought that he was capable of violence. Even to the extent of murder. I do not.

It appears that he has lived in FL. NY. Washington State and OR. However, his ADDRESS is always mine.

1. Why would he hide his address?
2.. If fraud is not the intent, has he broken the law?
3. What can he glean from doing this?
4. He is bi-polar and my wife thinks he is not suited for the nursing profession. I think she's right. Should she do anything about that?
5. Should I be concerned with this?
6. Should I call the board of elections? The DMV? Our address is on all of this.

Do you think my wife is over reacting? She never wants to see a piece of mail from him again. Am I missing something? If I report this to the post master, won't we be on the wrong side of the law for opening his mail?

I need advise.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

He once threw my wife to the floor. At the time, I prevented her from calling the cops and pressing charges because I did not want him to have a criminal record. He was 15 at the time. I realize now that I should have let my wife call the police, but I was being protective of my son.

My wife has always thought that he was capable of violence. Even to the extent of murder. I do not.
I think you know why but you don't want to admit it.

This is your profession. You were sure to tell us your professional credentials at the beginning of this post, yet you claim not to know why your own son would do this. It sounds like you're still deep in denial.

If I were your wife, I'd be PO'd that you are dismissing my concerns and aren't being more proactive about this.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:37 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Your wife isn't over-reacting and you better start taking her concerns more seriously or your dismissive attitude could be the cause of you becoming estranged from your wife too.

Get your head out of the sand about why he's using your address - you know why he's doing it - and stop ignoring your civic and legal responsibilities and your wife's fear of your son. You know that what he's doing is wrong and if you don't report your son's criminal behaviour to authorities you could end up being held accountable for his criminal activity yourself and be charged with collusion in fraud and who knows what else, maybe violence. Is that what you want?

If you really are the professional investigator that you say you are then you know what you are obligated to do.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
He doesn't want to be found.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:38 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Why have you not informed the post office, or put “not at this address” or “return to sender”?

And give me a flippin’ break, you could easily find his address and then forward his mail.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:40 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Let me answer first, yes; I'd be somewhat open to reconciliation.
The fruit of your loins attacked your wife and threw her to the floor. And yet...

Quote:
We receive his mail - ALL of it. It upsets my wife a lot, for some reason.
"Some reason"? Her attacker is letting her know he knows exactly where you live.

Quote:
My wife is not comfortable with him knowing our address and with us not knowing ours.

Gosh, I wonder why.

Quote:

I'll take your wife's instincts over yours. She is correctly interpreting her fear of him and not ignoring it, as you do.

Quote:
Do you think my wife is over reacting?

Not in the least. But clearly you want to think that.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:49 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The fruit of your loins attacked your wife and threw her to the floor. And yet...

"Some reason"? Her attacker is letting her know he knows exactly where you live.

Gosh, I wonder why.

I'll take your wife's instincts over yours. She is correctly interpreting her fear of him and not ignoring it, as you do.

Not in the least. But clearly you want to think that.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:52 AM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
Yes, contact the DMV and the Board of Elections and let them know. Did he vote using your address? Since he doesn't live there, that's vote fraud.

Find out his address and send in a change of address form to the USPS.

Problem solved.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:29 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
So you haven't seen your son in a decade. And, don't know his real address.

What have you done with all of those years and years of mail?

Old 12-26-2018, 11:45 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
So you haven't seen your son in a decade. And, don't know his real address.

What have you done with all of those years and years of mail?
I was wondering the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships