Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 04:40 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmichael View Post
No, thank you and politely decline the person. this is the best way to refuse the drinks.
really, why refuse the drink? it did nothing wrong. take the drink and on your way out, thank the person who bought it.

like someone ordering some hot wings for you at a restaurant, never turn down good wings

maybe they have money to spend or will learn to stop buying drinks for strangers without needing a 3rd party to run notes.

Quote:
And herein lies the problem for all men. We women can't tell from looking at you whether you're really a nice guy or you're Ted Bundy.
technically the men can't tell if the women wouldn't kill them either, but as long as they think they might get somewhere, they don't mind dying happy
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 AM

314 posts, read 439,783 times
You do not need to talk to the person sending the drink. Just tell the bartender No thank you. You don't owe anyone an explanation.

However, if you want, just tell the bartender you are not drinking that night, you don't drink, you are not available, you are already in a relationship, etc.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:54 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
really, why refuse the drink? it did nothing wrong. take the drink and on your way out, thank the person who bought it.

You can't be serious. There's a quid pro quo attached to it.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:34 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Minivan, you rarely post anything I truly disagree with.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You thanked them for the drink... If they wanted sex, they would have offered a condom instead

Old 01-11-2019, 08:56 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Just reading through some of the discussion, and the question is posed as an etiquette question from the point of view of the recipient... how to best refuse a 'gift' from a stranger in a bar.

The question assumes a sender who is capable of responding to a situation with grace. As we read above, in a bar, there is a good chance that the sender is a jerk or a drunk. There is no polite answer for drunk jerks. They're going to behave like drunk jerks, and that's not the fault of anyone else. In that case, he is the bar's responsibility to manage, not yours. Ask for their help if you are uncomfortable or threatened.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Just reading through some of the discussion, and the question is posed as an etiquette question from the point of view of the recipient... how to best refuse a 'gift' from a stranger in a bar.

The question assumes a sender who is capable of responding to a situation with grace. As we read above, in a bar, there is a good chance that the sender is a jerk or a drunk. There is no polite answer for drunk jerks. They're going to behave like drunk jerks, and that's not the fault of anyone else. In that case, he is the bar's responsibility to manage, not yours. Ask for their help if you are uncomfortable or threatened.

Why is there a good chance the sender is a jerk? Does drinking alcohol in public automatically push one into jerk territory?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,101,553 times
This thread is almost depressing. The first time I go to a bar & don't get hit on; I'm going to be depressed.

This isn't directed at the OP specifically but look:

Women can go wherever they want & whenever they want but if a woman can't handle going to a bar & either politely declining or accepting a drink; then maybe she shouldn't be there. This isn't a "Men vs Women" issue, this is an "I'm a grown-up" issue.

If you take your work to the one place where others go to escape it; don't expect a great working environment. Don't go to a social venue & complain when someone tries to socialize. If you want to call "house rules" then stay home.

I'm not a drinker. I go to bars anyway. Bartenders don't just appear bearing some cup of mysterious, tainted love potion when a guy buys you a drink! They either bring you another of what you previously ordered, or they say "What would you like?"

Either way, I get a glass of ice water with lemon. Or nothing; if I don't feel like it. Either way, I say "Thank you!" to the guy. Geez, they deserve at least that, just for having the b***s to deal with us, if nothing else.

Never have I felt obligated to provide them with more than a smile & a thank you. Never has any guy taken it there (Nightclubs might be the exception). I suppose if I acted ugly; I could expect ugly back ... I don't get a pass on that because I'm a woman. I might get a pass on that if I were a child but I'm not. I'm a grown-up.

When & if I've wanted to; I've "provided" way more than a smile to guys who both bought me a drink or didn't buy me a drink. (Add; "whoever I want" to the list above)That's my privilege; I'm not going to surrender it, nor apologize for it.

So go on & go to the bar; when, where & why you want to. Don't try to call house rules just play by your own rules. If you can't take the heat in the kitchen? You don't turn off the stove; you leave the kitchen. Seriously, if men don't understand women; its probably because we over-complicate very simple things.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,507,028 times
To be honest, anyone who sends me an unsolicited drink automatically gets lumped in the "inconsiderate, presumptuous d-bag" category. It's a move on par with cheesy pickup lines.

First of all, he's assuming I want a drink (and no, being in a bar doesn't automatically mean I want an alcoholic beverage. Perhpas I'm looking for someplace quiet and just want a soda or iced tea), and he assumes I'm going to like whatever drink he chooses. Men often assume that women like fruity, sugary drinks ... I'd rather have a bourbon neat.

The guys who still try the "send a drink from across the bar" move do it because they think it's a cool move. It's not. If someone's interested in buying me a drink, I'd much prefer that he come over and ask "could I buy you a drink? What would you like?"

Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
No thank you is enough said.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships