Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Take the job, save your money until you can move out on your own. Get a roommate if you must. While you are working at this despised job, you are free to look for other, better employment.
E-Twist for the win. Best answer. Really no need for anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Simple. You take the job and you keep taking money from your parents. You didn't ask about self respect, so mooching off the parents is obviously okay with you; it's the idea of a job you don't want that's the problem.

Take the job, save your money until you can move out on your own. Get a roommate if you must. While you are working at this despised job, you are free to look for other, better employment.

The fact that you are asking this question leads one to feel you are not very mature, and still need the guidance of your parents. In real life, we all have to do things we sometimes don't want to do, and that might be to take a job that isn't fulfilling.

I was about to write a response, but it pretty much mirrors this one. Either you are adult enough to support yourself or not. If parents are supporting you, and you don't want to let that go, take the job until you find something better.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:04 AM

23,282 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi everyone,
I am a college grad.I dont have the best degree because I was not the best at math.I have been applying for jobs. I interviewed for a job doing physical labor.I want to apply for more jobs but my parents are making me take this job.
Your parents want you to take THIS JOB, not every other job in your future. They want you to start earning your keep. Too bad it's not what you want to do at this moment, but you don't have other viable choices at this moment. The point they are making is that you need to take the stepping stool job until something better comes along. Time to step up.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:04 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am a college grad.I dont have the best degree because I was not the best at math.I have been applying for jobs. I interviewed for a job doing physical labor.I want to apply for more jobs but my parents are making me take this job.They say they will take hundreds a month away from me and wash their hands of me if i dont take this job.Moving out is not an option in the city I live because rent is so high.What should I do?Is it normal for parents to choose the jobs for their children and impose such strict consequences if they dont comply?I feel like I cant resist them because I dont want to disrespect them.I dont know what to do....Im afraid they will take away a lot of money from me if I dont take it. I pay my parents rent out of my savings.
What you should do, is apply for more jobs, to increase your options ASAP. Sounds like you have a generic BA. Apply for office jobs at your local community college, apply for university office jobs, city office jobs. All it takes is a BA. I assume you know Microsoft Office and Excel, at the least. If not, apply for college/university mail room jobs. Apply to the Post Office. What have you been wasting your time on, since graduation?

Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
I actually pay them rent out of my savings.
Find a room to rent in a shared house or apartment.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:36 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I am a college grad.I dont have the best degree because I was not the best at math.I have been applying for jobs. I interviewed for a job doing physical labor.I want to apply for more jobs but my parents are making me take this job.They say they will take hundreds a month away from me and wash their hands of me if i dont take this job.Moving out is not an option in the city I live because rent is so high.What should I do?Is it normal for parents to choose the jobs for their children and impose such strict consequences if they dont comply?I feel like I cant resist them because I dont want to disrespect them.I dont know what to do....Im afraid they will take away a lot of money from me if I dont take it. I pay my parents rent out of my savings.
Who paid for you to go to college? Where did your savings come from? Are you a trust fund kid and are your parents in charge of your trust fund? What will you do when you've used up all your savings if you aren't working?

You spend a inordinate amount of time playing around on the CD forum every day. Only a member for 26 months on the forum and already you've racked up more than 16,000 utterly mindless games and trivia posts and other one sentence posts of no importance. So it appears that you're lazy and waste most of your time playing around in Lala-Land on internet doing and saying nothing of consequence, and you don't want to work at any job if you can avoid it. That is a waste of a mind and a waste of education and money.

It sounds like your parents are getting fed up and tired with you being underfoot and not working and pulling your weight. If you're going to continue staying at your parents house and not risk being kicked out or cut off or disowned by them then you need to smarten up, get off internet and get cracking at becoming independent.

You need to take the labour job that your parents want you to take if that job has already been offered to you. Nobody is too good or too special to do honest labour while looking for something more meaningful. Take the labour job so you have an income and in the meantime you can continue applying for other jobs until you find something more suited to your capabilities and education. Then move.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:04 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
You've done a VERY good job of making choices and drawing conclusions that paint you deep into a corner.
I suspect you actually like it back in there. Change your outlook if you want to change your life.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Move to a city that has jobs in your field. Midland is a blue-collar town, where most jobs are in the oil industry.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,136 times
I wasn't good at math either so I got a degree which only required one statistics class for graduation. I got a temp job at a company, nothing to do with my major, which then hired me permanently as an employee with benefits less than a year later. Then I worked my way up the ladder, getting promoted every 3-4 years and then I went to get my Master's degree. It also required just one statistics class to graduate. Now I have a career with a six figure salary because I literally started as a temporary employee who got hired at entry level and then through very hard work and perseverance worked my way to where I am today. It took a long time but it was worth it. Because I stuck it out and didn't give up.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:51 AM

811 posts, read 622,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
I wasn't good at math either so I got a degree which only required one statistics class for graduation. I got a temp job at a company, nothing to do with my major, which then hired me permanently as an employee with benefits less than a year later. Then I worked my way up the ladder, getting promoted every 3-4 years and then I went to get my Master's degree. It also required just one statistics class to graduate. Now I have a career with a six figure salary because I literally started as a temporary employee who got hired at entry level and then through very hard work and perseverance worked my way to where I am today. It took a long time but it was worth it. Because I stuck it out and didn't give up.
Bada Bing, Bada Boom. Well done.
Very inspirational.

I'm afraid many young people these days not only fail to take a long view, they haven't been taught to Work Hard. And many certainly have no concept of perseverance. They lack character and are their own worst enemy.

So it begs the question: What does it take for someone like this to recognize their shortcomings and change their ways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships