Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:22 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times

Advertisements

For God sakes, all this bashing of Liberal Arts degrees. Millennials are not lazy or lack character. After the 2008 recession, entry positions have NEVER come back to their pre-recession levels.

For new college graduates in 2018/19, this is the reality:

First, job searching is done on the internet sites like indeed.com and idealist.com. It may take a full year to find your first job. Going to a temp agency is a good idea. The competition for temp jobs is tremendous.

Second, you can work while submitting your resume online. You will have to call in sick for interviews.

Third, serious why are you paying your parents rent? Is the rent to cover their payment of student loans? Do they just want you to be more responsible?

My son graduated in May with honors. He has applied to over 300 companies online. Beginning in July, he took a position at a supermarket. In December, he had an interview with a temp agency which claimed to have numerous positions which he would be great for. He wrote a thank you letter and emails the agency weekly. They are still working on finding him a position. From Linkin, he had inquiries from companies with extremely high turnover. He's still looking.

My daughter's unpaid internship turned into a full time paid position. If my son finds an unpaid volunteer or internship position, I would be happy with it.

Honestly, I wouldn't ask any of my children for rent until they were 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 08:27 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,403 times
It is extremely unlikely that the OP will find that unicorn job that pays a high salary just for showing up and being decorative. Whatever first job he/she gets is going to be a McJob of some sort, likely tedious, possibly physically demanding, and definitely not glamorous. The sooner he/she accepts that and just gets started with something, the closer he/she will be to getting launched into real life.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:53 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Ruth4Truth's posts are spot on.

Get a roommate and start applying for a range of entry-level jobs. And develop an action plan: tell your parents that you'll be out by such-and-such a date, and keep them informed of which jobs you're applying for

It's a really tight labor market these days. If you have any interest in anything tech/software related, get a continuing-educating certificate from a software coding "boot camp" such as General Assembly and you'll be golden.

Last edited by PuppiesandKittens; 01-13-2019 at 09:58 AM..

Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
I've been doing recruiting for our organization. One of the colleges we recruit at has an excellent career center that keeps statistics on their graduates. They don't hide these statistics, and make them available to students right up front when choosing degrees. They list all their degrees, percent of graduates working, and what they earn with that degree. So it's very easy for students to see that an electrical engineer earns X and has this hire rate vs an English degree that earns Y with some other hire rate. Couple of other interesting statistics included the impact of student research participation and internships/co-ops on hire rate and an overall unemployed rate of <4% for 2018 graduates.

The point for the OP is go use your college's career center. There's no reason for a student in today's world to be uninformed on what degrees and programs have the highest impact on getting hired.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

My son graduated in May with honors. He has applied to over 300 companies online. Beginning in July, he took a position at a supermarket. In December, he had an interview with a temp agency which claimed to have numerous positions which he would be great for. He wrote a thank you letter and emails the agency weekly. They are still working on finding him a position. From Linkin, he had inquiries from companies with extremely high turnover. He's still looking.

May I ask what work experience your son has?

Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi everyone,
I am a college grad.I dont have the best degree because I was not the best at math.I have been applying for jobs. I interviewed for a job doing physical labor.I want to apply for more jobs but my parents are making me take this job.They say they will take hundreds a month away from me and wash their hands of me if i dont take this job.Moving out is not an option in the city I live because rent is so high.What should I do?Is it normal for parents to choose the jobs for their children and impose such strict consequences if they dont comply?I feel like I cant resist them because I dont want to disrespect them.I dont know what to do....Im afraid they will take away a lot of money from me if I dont take it. I pay my parents rent out of my savings.
Sounds like you are an adult, not a child. You have a college degree, but are still living with your parents? And they want you to get a job? EGADS, the HORROR of a parent wanting a co-dependent adult offspring to get a job!!

Take the job, and keep it until you find another one. Be an adult. Set yourself up financially to move out. If you move out, you won't have to listen to your parents anymore.

I never took a penny from my parents after the age of 18... time to grow up.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:36 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Quote:
I actually pay them rent out of my savings.
They're giving you money, you said.

So, if you're paying them rent, and they're giving you money, I'm confused....

Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
I realize I have to get a job.They made me interview for that job.Its a liberal arts degree.
So when you were in school getting this liberal arts degree, what was your plan for after graduation? What kind of job were you thinking about getting after you were out of school?

I, too, have a liberal arts degree, but I always knew what kind of career path I wanted to be in and I made sure that I took the courses and did the internships and met the people who would help me get my foot in the door.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Simple. You take the job and you keep taking money from your parents. You didn't ask about self respect, so mooching off the parents is obviously okay with you; it's the idea of a job you don't want that's the problem.

Take the job, save your money until you can move out on your own. Get a roommate if you must. While you are working at this despised job, you are free to look for other, better employment.

The fact that you are asking this question leads one to feel you are not very mature, and still need the guidance of your parents. In real life, we all have to do things we sometimes don't want to do, and that might be to take a job that isn't fulfilling.

This. True, being an adult means doing things we'd rather not do...take the job with a goal of looking for a more appropriate one. Pay your parents out of your earnings, not your savings.

What are your interests? Focus on a goal of a job you could invest in...then move out, stand on your own.
This is what your parents want for you as well. Likely you'll be miserable until you do...

Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
the cost of living where i live is too high to do that on a McJob.
Yet people manage to do it.

What you’re really saying is that you cannot afford to live in the manner to which you’ve become accustomed. Otherwise, you’d do what millions of students/recent grads do, which is share a crappy apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships