U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 AM

37,855 posts, read 14,739,896 times

Advertisements

Offering your spare bedroom and feeding guest breakfast seems all right if you are up for it and enjoy their company.

But paying for their meals out? I don't know about that.

Those who stay with us always pay for the meals we eat out.

Those who don't grab the check, get their split of the bill, and the next time they call, we say we would love to get together when they are in town, be sure and get in touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 09:02 AM

37,855 posts, read 14,739,896 times
We have relatives who used to stay and always wanted to "take" us to spendy restaurants.

The first time it happened they ordered appetizers, drinks, bottles of wine, desserts, and, of course, expensive entrees. We didn't want to take advantage of their hospitality, so we ordered more reasonably priced entrees, and passed on the cocktails.

When the bill came, they threw down three twenties for "their share."

The bill, $300 before the tip, ended up on our credit card.

This happened again the next time they were in town. At the start of the meal, I asked for separate checks, but that didn't occur. Not sure why, but it didn't. I pulled out twenties for our part of the meal, but it turned out their credit card wasn't working, so it ended up on ours again.

The third time they suggested we go to that "wonderful little place again," I said I'd already made a reservation. It was at a Turkish restaurant that did not serve booze, and the appetizer platter was $15.

When the bill came, I said that we'd pay tonight and they could pick up the tab tomorrow night at Restaurant Ridiculously Over Priced.

As luck would have it, we ended up ordering Chinese take-out the next night. They paid.

Turkish food and Chinese take-out has been our tradition ever since.

I enjoy their company. Love that they make the effort to visit. Don't mind changing the sheets and treating them to a reasonably priced dinner. But I'll be damned if we're going to pick up the tab for a big night out.

What galled my spouse was that their carrying on like Lord and Lady Bountiful, ordering another plate of oysters, another bottle of wine, etc. ... and then sticking us with the bill.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:12 AM

1,669 posts, read 551,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We have relatives who used to stay and always wanted to "take" us to spendy restaurants.

The first time it happened they ordered appetizers, drinks, bottles of wine, desserts, and, of course, expensive entrees. We didn't want to take advantage of their hospitality, so we ordered more reasonably priced entrees, and passed on the cocktails.

When the bill came, they threw down three twenties for "their share."

The bill, $300 before the tip, ended up on our credit card.

This happened again the next time they were in town. At the start of the meal, I asked for separate checks, but that didn't occur. Not sure why, but it didn't. I pulled out twenties for our part of the meal, but it turned out their credit card wasn't working, so it ended up on ours again.

The third time they suggested we go to that "wonderful little place again," I said I'd already made a reservation. It was at a Turkish restaurant that did not serve booze, and the appetizer platter was $15.

When the bill came, I said that we'd pay tonight and they could pick up the tab tomorrow night at Restaurant Ridiculously Over Priced.

As luck would have it, we ended up ordering Chinese take-out the next night. They paid.

Turkish food and Chinese take-out has been our tradition ever since.

I enjoy their company. Love that they make the effort to visit. Don't mind changing the sheets and treating them to a reasonably priced dinner. But I'll be damned if we're going to pick up the tab for a big night out.

What galled my spouse was that their carrying on like Lord and Lady Bountiful, ordering another plate of oysters, another bottle of wine, etc. ... and then sticking us with the bill.
To each his own. I respectfully say I could not have stood for that myself.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:17 AM

1,222 posts, read 891,049 times
LaciLynn, who are these people? Are they friends, family, or both? Are they just showing up, or are they asking if they can come first?

When family visit we pay for everything, although they will pay for a couple of restaurant meals.

As a host, I would never ask someone to contribute toward the cost of them staying at my home if it was for a reasonable amount of time, but I also would not decline any contribution offered.

As a guest I would never stay at someone’s home and not offer to contribute - even if it was only picking up some groceries and washing the guest linens before leaving. I would also expect to treat my hosts to at least one restaurant meal.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 453,884 times
I can't imagine why someone would voluntarily go to Florida. Florida is the Theological Place of Eternal Punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships