Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:48 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

Settle a debate for me....

We have a client named Sandra. Which I pronounce Sand-druh and my mate pronounces Sohn-druh. This client has not corrected us (new client, I plan to ask her when we next talk) but in the meantime is there a correct pronunciation of this name? Are both acceptable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 04:54 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
The only “correct” pronunciation is the one she uses. Both are possible ways of saying the name, but if she goes by Sohn-druh, then Sand-druh is incorrect and vice versa. Good plan to confirm with her, or someone who knows her well.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:35 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,084 times
I am guessing it is Sand-druh. My mom's name is Sondra and it is pronounced Sohn-druh. However, that is speculation.

I think is perfectly acceptable to ask her, so good plan.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:36 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
It can go either way

Old 04-09-2019, 07:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The only “correct” pronunciation is the one she uses. Both are possible ways of saying the name, but if she goes by Sohn-druh, then Sand-druh is incorrect and vice versa. Good plan to confirm with her, or someone who knows her well.
This is the only correct answer. A quick confirmation is all that is required.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:26 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Not saying that's what's going on here, but it reminds me of the friend in college who insisted that I pronounced my name wrong. She was completely serious. I pronounce my own name incorrectly. Rude!

Old 04-09-2019, 07:55 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not saying that's what's going on here, but it reminds me of the friend in college who insisted that I pronounced my name wrong. She was completely serious. I pronounce my own name incorrectly. Rude!
Whoa your friend was pretty arrogant and yes rude.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 AM

880 posts, read 531,268 times
My cousin grew up believing her name was kaylie. That's how everyone addressed her and how she filled out any applications etc, when she was 15 she received her National Insurance card and low and behold her name was actually Kylie. Her non native english speaking parents wrote it incorrectly on her birth certificate. She still goes by Kaylie and has to explain why its spelled Kylie.
This doesn't help OP but a bit of a funny story.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:10 AM

561 posts, read 323,993 times
My mother's name is Joan. It's pronounced Jo-Ann. Why my grandmother did that I have no idea but it is what it is and when I see Joan I hear it in my head as Jo-Ann. Name pronunciations are funny things sometimes and the only right way is the way the person that "owns" the name says is the right way. In Grandma's case I think she did it just to be difficult and buck the system but it set my mother up for a lifetime of no one ever saying or spelling her name correctly unless they personally know her.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:16 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
My mother's name is Joan. It's pronounced Jo-Ann. Why my grandmother did that I have no idea but it is what it is and when I see Joan I hear it in my head as Jo-Ann. Name pronunciations are funny things sometimes and the only right way is the way the person that "owns" the name says is the right way. In Grandma's case I think she did it just to be difficult and buck the system but it set my mother up for a lifetime of no one ever saying or spelling her name correctly unless they personally know her.
Yep, even if it's non-traditional or looks plain messed up!

Way back in the day I worked for a local newspaper, and my editor taught me to never assume the spelling of a name from what someone told me. Yes, Bob Smith would look at me funny if I asked him to spell his name, but one day I might have run into Bobb Smyth. Or like the post above - "Kaylie" whose name is spelled Kylie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships