Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by head librarian View Post

So, would you approach a new neighbor who just moved in just to say hello and introduce yourself?
Not if they constantly created new accounts on C-D just to post one fictional topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 12:07 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal.M.I. View Post

But, ya know, ya never know when neighbors are going to have to help one another.
Keep being a good neighbor, pat yourself on the back and smile. It doesn't cost you anything.

The need for people to help one another is basic to our humanity and might make the difference in our survival someday. But I have two sets of neighbors now who never gave the slightest indication that they were going to acknowledge my existence. I finally just started talking to one of them after four months, but that turned out to be futile. Their avoidance of the neighborhood and everyone in it, seems socially pathological to me. However, their two young daughters smile and wave at me, whenever they can. They have not yet been taught to shun people.

Most of the others on our street range from being just courteous when it's unavoidable, to very friendly and interested in their neighbors. There are several of us who help each other with things, when it's needed. That other set of disconnected neighbors lives on the far end of a duplex next door. Even when I'm out on the sidewalk watering or passing by, they studiously ignore me when they come and go. I'm sure they've never interacted with anyone else around here. Those on this street range in age from 4 to 93 and there is no correlation between their ages and their friendliness. There are many people who walk by from the outer areas of the neighborhood, who are quite friendly towards me and so are their dogs.

Where I grew up, everyone within a block or two, seemed to know everyone else and to anticipate when someone might need assistance. It was common for those with professional skills to do small tasks without charge for their neighbors. All the adults would look out for the safety of all the kids. Often, people would share produce from their gardens with neighbors or the bounty from fishing or hunting trips. People would lend tools frequently and they always came right back. Books, magazines and newspapers circulated among us. The neighborhood grapevine got the news around about everything, that was local or international, before social media was invented.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:40 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
I live in a Townhouse and have neighbors on either side of us. The townhouse on one side of us was empty for a few months but a few weeks ago a new couple moved in. I saw them come out of their home and went over to introduce myself. (We share walls so we have common interests.)

I was completely shocked by how cold and standoffish they were. They seemed insulted and bothered that I would take even a minute of their valuable time to approach them and introduce myself. Their reaction seemed to be that there was no reason to bother them just because we were neighbors. I just wanted to talk to them for a minute or less knowing how busy people are today.

My wife asked me why I even bothered because nowadays most people don't talk to their neighbors. So the new neighbors likely thought I was bothering them. They thought: "You live next door, SO?"

So, would you approach a new neighbor who just moved in just to say hello and introduce yourself?
Yes. I do it to gauge the person. No neighbor is perfect so maybe one day, you do something that annoys them or they need your help. Then you can talk to them like a civilized person which they did not offer to you. That might break the ice.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I don't know if I would have knocked on the door of the new neighbors but if I saw them coming out of their townhouse or wherever, I would have introduced myself. There was a time when neighbors used to bring a pie or something to the new neighbors. I guess nobody does that anymore.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:57 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
I live in a Townhouse and have neighbors on either side of us. The townhouse on one side of us was empty for a few months but a few weeks ago a new couple moved in. I saw them come out of their home and went over to introduce myself. (We share walls so we have common interests.)

I was completely shocked by how cold and standoffish they were. They seemed insulted and bothered that I would take even a minute of their valuable time to approach them and introduce myself. Their reaction seemed to be that there was no reason to bother them just because we were neighbors. I just wanted to talk to them for a minute or less knowing how busy people are today.

My wife asked me why I even bothered because nowadays most people don't talk to their neighbors. So the new neighbors likely thought I was bothering them. They thought: "You live next door, SO?"

I would not want to be approached by a neighbor for small talk. I kind of like to be left alone since I’m not very social. Thankfully, where I live, neighbors keep to themselves for the most part.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

Where I grew up, everyone within a block or two, seemed to know everyone else and to anticipate when someone might need assistance. It was common for those with professional skills to do small tasks without charge for their neighbors. All the adults would look out for the safety of all the kids. Often, people would share produce from their gardens with neighbors or the bounty from fishing or hunting trips. People would lend tools frequently and they always came right back. Books, magazines and newspapers circulated among us. The neighborhood grapevine got the news around about everything, that was local or international, before social media was invented.
Wow, that seems like a perfect community to me. You were lucky. I wish there were more communities like that today. Now it seems like people are just suspicious of each, which is a sign of the times, I guess.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
oh im one of those who definitely likes when the new neighbors come to introduce themselves and I then take the opportunity to tell them about what I know of the neighborhood . I also share some tomatoes and squash and whatever else I have out of the garden . I was taught to be a good neighbor from my dad . When he moved into the senior mobile home park he had neighbors galore and I was glad because they all would watch after each other .

Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:

I usually don't approach my neighbors for conversation, but I would be open to striking up an acquaintance or more if the opportunity presented itself.

There was a lady who lived in my last apartment, and she didn't have a job, she just kind of hung around the front of the building looking for people to talk to.

A lot of times I would just say Hi and beeline it inside.

I felt a little guilty about that, but I really didn't have anything to talk to her about and I was tired from work.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:36 AM

104 posts, read 110,752 times
Personally, I think the established home should introduce themselves to the new homeowners. None of ours have though..
Maybe just introduce yourself but say "I'm sorry if you were busy but I just wanted to introduce ourselves, stop by sometime if you want to talk.."

Old 01-18-2019, 10:26 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:

Yes, but then I live in a friendly place. Sad that they were unfriendly but perhaps you caught them at a bad time and it isn't who they really are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships