Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

I would probably wait until we were both outside at the same time, smile and say hello. If they seemed open to more, I’d introduce myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
On another note, my dh does a lot of work for our friend in another state and every time he is doing something outside someone comes up and asks him what he's doing. One day one of the HOA board members came by, and due to this, he was able to find out that indeed the roofs were covered by the HOA fees which my friend didn't think were based on the covenants as she understood them. Also found out that the HOA does termite and bug control and if you have any damage from termites their insurance covers replacement costs. (Unfortunately all the exterior doors my dh replaced were due to wood rot not termites). All things she didn't know because she works and rarely sees anyone plus many of the units are rental. It's good to talk with people and ask questions.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:26 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A neighbourhood is a community and good neighbours look out for each other. I think it's a good survival tactic for people to introduce themselves and know who their neighbours are and at least be on nodding terms with them when they encounter them. It doesn't mean neighbours all should be chatty, friendly best buddies and on a first name basis but it never hurts to be polite. The survival tactic is that when you know enough about them to recognize who all your neighbours are that belong there then you will also know enough to recognize who the non-neighbours are that shouldn't be there hanging around casing the neighbourhood and up to no good.

Facts!

Old 01-18-2019, 11:28 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I wouldn't be thrilled to have a neighbor knock on my door, but I would have no problem with them saying hello if I was outside gardening or washing the car.

That's kind of how it was when I lived in the city. Now that I live in the country I probably have more interactions with my neighbors. It is still not a lot and it's positive. I can understand, though, the fear of getting pesky neighbors.
True

Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by head librarian View Post
I was completely shocked by how cold and standoffish they were. They seemed insulted and bothered that I would take even a minute of their valuable time to approach them and introduce myself. Their reaction seemed to be that there was no reason to bother them just because we were neighbors. I just wanted to talk to them for a minute or less knowing how busy people are today.

My wife asked me why I even bothered because nowadays most people don't talk to their neighbors. So the new neighbors likely thought I was bothering them. They thought: "You live next door, SO?"

So, would you approach a new neighbor who just moved in just to say hello and introduce yourself?
Everyone will react differently. Some people will appreciate it, and as you witnessed, some won't.

I personally wouldn't approach a new neighbor, but that's just me. I'm introverted and not good with initiating conversation with someone. But my husband will.

Old 01-18-2019, 03:07 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I already commented, but I’m thinking, that when someone lives with others in close quarters there are two kinds of people, those who want nothing to do with their neighbors, and those who need to feel a part of a unit of people.
I’ve only lived in houses, not apartments or condos, but if my next move takes me to a condo, I would be glad to mind my own business, but I would prefer at least an acquaintance with my neighbor. I don’t want to drop by, I don’t want to be your best friend, but if I get locked out of my house, I hope you’d give me a cup of coffee until help arrived.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:38 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,248 times
I see nothing wrong with what you did. I'd prefer to know who my neighbors are in case of emergencies, or if I need a hand with something, etc. There are a few people we live by who've never come by to introduce themselves, they won't even give a friendly wave if we see them from afar. I think it's kind of strange, like there's a difference between shy/introvert and loner.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM

46 posts, read 35,404 times
I don't mind it if a neighbor introduces themself, as long as it's a simple introduction and they don't try to get too pushy and try to become friends right away. I live in a rental unit-I've been here for over a year, and I'm on a first name (and only first name) basis with all my neighbors. We all get along with each other, but beyond that we mind our own business. I personally know who lives in what unit and what car belongs to who, but that's because I work nights. (If I see something happen like a neighbor's car getting broken into late at night, I can let the neighbor know what I saw.) But beyond that, we leave each other alone. So a new neighbor simply introducing themself to you so you know who they are, no-I don't see a problem with it.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:55 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A neighbourhood is a community and good neighbours look out for each other. I think it's a good survival tactic for people to introduce themselves and know who their neighbours are and at least be on nodding terms with them when they encounter them. It doesn't mean neighbours all should be chatty, friendly best buddies and on a first name basis but it never hurts to be polite. The survival tactic is that when you know enough about them to recognize who all your neighbours are that belong there then you will also know enough to recognize who the non-neighbours are that shouldn't be there hanging around casing the neighbourhood and up to no good.

It also means, you would know if one of the neighbor families is planning a move or not. In my parents' neighborhood long ago, everyone saw a moving van in the neighbor's driveway one day. Everyone thought to themselves, "We didn't know the So-and-so's were moving". Well it turned out, the neighbors weren't moving. Thieves had rented a moving van, and, pretending to be movers, cleaned the entire house out in broad daylight. After that, any suspicious moving vans in the area got reported to the police.

This was a neighborhood, in which many of the neighbors socialized with each other fairly regularly. They don't make 'em like that anymore, it seems.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times
Not knowing the neighbors makes it more "anonymous" to bang on the walls when they are being too loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships