Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 03:45 AM

9 posts, read 5,123 times

Advertisements

I live in a Townhouse and have neighbors on either side of us. The townhouse on one side of us was empty for a few months but a few weeks ago a new couple moved in. I saw them come out of their home and went over to introduce myself. (We share walls so we have common interests.)

I was completely shocked by how cold and standoffish they were. They seemed insulted and bothered that I would take even a minute of their valuable time to approach them and introduce myself. Their reaction seemed to be that there was no reason to bother them just because we were neighbors. I just wanted to talk to them for a minute or less knowing how busy people are today.

My wife asked me why I even bothered because nowadays most people don't talk to their neighbors. So the new neighbors likely thought I was bothering them. They thought: "You live next door, SO?"

So, would you approach a new neighbor who just moved in just to say hello and introduce yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 03:51 AM

334 posts, read 227,104 times
Nope. I would also be annoyed if they knocked on my door (The likelihood of me opening it is slim at best if I am not expecting anyone).

Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by head librarian View Post
So, would you approach a new neighbor who just moved in just to say hello and introduce yourself?
That’s a different question than the thread title.

But I get it. It’s easy to become confused Now that you’re Retired.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:55 AM

273 posts, read 102,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by head librarian View Post
I live in a Townhouse and have neighbors on either side of us. The townhouse on one side of us was empty for a few months but a few weeks ago a new couple moved in. I saw them come out of their home and went over to introduce myself. (We share walls so we have common interests.)

I was completely shocked by how cold and standoffish they were. They seemed insulted and bothered that I would take even a minute of their valuable time to approach them and introduce myself. Their reaction seemed to be that there was no reason to bother them just because we were neighbors. I just wanted to talk to them for a minute or less knowing how busy people are today.

My wife asked me why I even bothered because nowadays most people don't talk to their neighbors. So the new neighbors likely thought I was bothering them. They thought: "You live next door, SO?"

I would have done the same as you. I wouldn't think anything of saying ,"hi" the next time I saw them again, either, say, when I was taking garbage cans in or out.
Maybe they're new to the area and this custom is not familiar to them? They don't speak english? They've had bad neighbor experiences in the past? Maybe they're like Mr. Wilson on Dennis the Menace (crabby by nature)? Who knows.

But, ya know, ya never know when neighbors are going to have to help one another.
Keep being a good neighbor, pat yourself on the back and smile. It doesn't cost you anything.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:05 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Old 01-16-2019, 05:27 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
Maybe they recognized you from all your posts on City Data and were shocked to realize they'd moved in right next door to you!

Old 01-16-2019, 05:31 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,165 times
I think introducing yourself to neighbors is a good thing. Especially with lost pets, missing packages and all the other issues that crop up. I wouldn’t worry about it. Now you know not to say anything to this couple in the future. I’d still make introductions to future new neighbors.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:34 AM

7,015 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Took the words right out of my mouth. Er....fingers?

Old 01-16-2019, 05:41 AM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I think introducing yourself to neighbors is a good thing. Especially with lost pets, missing packages and all the other issues that crop up. I wouldn’t worry about it. Now you know not to say anything to this couple in the future. I’d still make introductions to future new neighbors.
Exactly. Maybe (not likely but maybe) you just caught them at a really bad time when they were dealing with something stressful and they wouldn't react in such a standoffish, awkward manner all the time. You could always give them the benefit of the doubt and just do a wave or hi if you see them outside but not really go out your way to knock on the door to visit and see if the reaction is any more gracious on their part.

Not everyone has to be best friends with the neighbors but until there's a good reason to do otherwise, it at least makes sense to be pleasantly cordial.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:43 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,554,002 times
Goes to Best Buy for teenager approved stereo and Ozzy Osborn CD, then introduces self to arrogant new neighbor at 1:30 am...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships