U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 PM

9,078 posts, read 8,217,916 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have no problem with this.

I also go to movies by myself and have no problems traveling solo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 09:00 PM

48 posts, read 15,394 times
Nope, rather to go liquor store and buy my beer. If I had people to go with sure, but last time I drank I woke up the next morning in my own puke in my bathroom. I can't stop until I am passed out but apparently I am fun and funny.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:08 PM

3,453 posts, read 1,565,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Today I was talking with a few friends: all people in their mid-30s to early 50s, and both men and women.

I mentioned that I wouldn't go to a bar all by myself.

They looked shocked and said that it's totally fine to do that.

So:

Do you go to bars by yourself, or know people who do?

I always viewed bars as places to go to to see pre-existing friends and co-workers. You can certainly meet people once you're at the bar with others, but going initially by yourself? Not for me.
It seems like the stigma of going to a bar by yourself varies between ages and sexes. (By "bar", I'm referring to the places without a dance floor.) The stigma is strongest for men age 21 to 27. That's when most men won't dare go to a bar alone, as it's considered very creepy to do so. At best, all women will bolt from him. At worst, I don't want to think about it. I went to a bar alone once, shortly after turning 21 (to try out my new ID). I got enough dirty looks, that I hightailed it out of there in less than 20 minutes.

The stigma subsides as the man gets older, and disappears almost completely by age 35. At least that's what I noticed. (The stigma may persist for nightclubs, but I haven't gone to one in four years.) Many a time recently, I sat alone in a bar waiting for my Meetup group, and nobody looked at me twice. Even one time when the group was a dud, and everyone else no-showed. A waitress was kind enough to offer me a comped consolation drink when I told her what happened, but I declined, since I was getting ready to leave.

For women, there really isn't much stigma associated with going to a bar alone. A woman, at least a young woman, in a bar by herself may be seen as foolish or naive, but definitely not creepy.

It seems like on a cruise, the "creepy" stigma for men goes right out of the window. (Overboard?) When cruising solo, I walked into the ship's nightclub by myself every night. Because hey, what else was I to do? And not only did nobody look at me twice, I even had one woman ask me to dance when a Latin song came on. I was 31 at the time. I can't imagine having the same experience in a trendy city neighborhood or a family-centric suburb.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 PM

4,548 posts, read 1,733,171 times
Nope.

Tried it once, wanting a "Cheers" experience, and then came back to reality.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM

4,548 posts, read 1,733,171 times
On vacation, I might make an exception.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 PM

3,092 posts, read 2,181,248 times
Since I've started seeing the woman I'm with, I haven't been going to the regular watering hole. She's done a great job in keeping me away from the drama. Some of you know the backstory - man, that place is a soap opera!

Old 01-16-2019, 10:18 PM

17,631 posts, read 11,084,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Today I was talking with a few friends: all people in their mid-30s to early 50s, and both men and women.

I mentioned that I wouldn't go to a bar all by myself.

They looked shocked and said that it's totally fine to do that.

So:

Do you go to bars by yourself, or know people who do?

I always viewed bars as places to go to to see pre-existing friends and co-workers. You can certainly meet people once you're at the bar with others, but going initially by yourself? Not for me.
When I was younger, I always went to night spots alone. There was less baggage to handle when I hooked up with some dancing partner or companion for the night. Having a buddy there would just complicate things.

But, if you are talking here about strictly BARS, I rarely frequented them, just nightclubs.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:53 AM

5,904 posts, read 5,253,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It seems like the stigma of going to a bar by yourself varies between ages and sexes. (By "bar", I'm referring to the places without a dance floor.) The stigma is strongest for men age 21 to 27. That's when most men won't dare go to a bar alone, as it's considered very creepy to do so. At best, all women will bolt from him. At worst, I don't want to think about it. I went to a bar alone once, shortly after turning 21 (to try out my new ID). I got enough dirty looks, that I hightailed it out of there in less than 20 minutes.

The stigma subsides as the man gets older, and disappears almost completely by age 35. At least that's what I noticed. (The stigma may persist for nightclubs, but I haven't gone to one in four years.) Many a time recently, I sat alone in a bar waiting for my Meetup group, and nobody looked at me twice. Even one time when the group was a dud, and everyone else no-showed. A waitress was kind enough to offer me a comped consolation drink when I told her what happened, but I declined, since I was getting ready to leave.

For women, there really isn't much stigma associated with going to a bar alone. A woman, at least a young woman, in a bar by herself may be seen as foolish or naive, but definitely not creepy.

It seems like on a cruise, the "creepy" stigma for men goes right out of the window. (Overboard?) When cruising solo, I walked into the ship's nightclub by myself every night. Because hey, what else was I to do? And not only did nobody look at me twice, I even had one woman ask me to dance when a Latin song came on. I was 31 at the time. I can't imagine having the same experience in a trendy city neighborhood or a family-centric suburb.
Men 21 to 27 are probably the most likely to go to a bar alone. I don't know many men that worry about creepy or even use the word.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:22 AM

6,063 posts, read 2,792,798 times
I was given a challenge by my therapist ...to actually cross a self made barrier. Going out on my own. Moving away from tribal mentality.

I dined alone.
I went to a movie alone.
Skied alone.
Travelled overseas a bit alone.

Turns out I was welcoming those adventures ...
But I have zero desire to toss back a drink

Tbh ...I no longer understand the importance of having to sit across from someone to eat a meal. My chewing and taste buds stay the same...

My therapist did a great job in recommending getting comfortable with one Ness. I really am not anti social. Most independent in their own skin can do a lot without the pack...

Nope...bars are for prison...alcohol does that....

Old 01-17-2019, 05:51 AM

3,453 posts, read 1,565,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Men 21 to 27 are probably the most likely to go to a bar alone. I don't know many men that worry about creepy or even use the word.
Not in my world. At that age, I absolutely always went to bars with friends (or an occasional girlfriend); I never saw a young man there alone. And I clearly recall hearing women and even other men say that's it creepy for a man to come to a bar by himself. It's always men over 30 that I sometimes see alone; I guess it's not considered creepy for an older man to do so, or maybe they just don't care.

I suppose it has much to do with perceiving a threat. A young woman sees a 25-year-old man alone in a bar, and may think: "That creep with no friends will try to hit on me!", even when he just sits in a chair. But when she sees a 40-year-old man alone, he's just some older dude who wants to escape his wife and work stress.

Now, I did cruise alone and had a blast. But when it comes to social norms, cruises are an anomaly, not the mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or