Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:39 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Absolutely. Being firm doesn’t mean being impolite.

It doesn't mean sucking up with wine either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:17 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
I found the neighbor!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=gVoMqZ6ItiQ

Old 01-21-2019, 01:12 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
This problem has been resolved. I spoke to him today and he said he would not snow blow my driveway anymore.

Just wanted to add, last year, he quick put up blinds in my house because two men were running around my house and peeking in the windows. I paid him for that task and a couple of other chores.

Then he started just randomly snow blowing. One time he said he thought I overpaid him for the work he had done for me. So most likely, he was just trying to be helpful and didn't pay attention when I told him he didn't need to snow blow my driveway. Or else, he's a stalking psycho.
Is that what you told him at the time? You don't Need to snow blow my driveway?
that is a lot different than I would prefer you not snow blow my driveway.

If it was the first way I can see why he kept doing it.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:23 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
All seems weird to me. We often do favors for our neighbors and they do the same in return. None of this drama going on.

To me it would be natural if it is a shared driveway, one person has a snowblower and one does not - to do the whole thing. It is probably the work of a few minutes.

Anyway a friendly conversation would probably get to the bottom of it.
the neighbor doing the snow blowing is NOT the one that owns the other half of the driveway, it is the neighbor across the street.

I just wanted to add that once when we were on vacation a neighbor lady snow blew our yard, and happend to go over an electric cord we had out in the yard. Lucky she didn't electrocute herself.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:31 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Not sure how we're the worst neighbors. Maybe you're okay with near strangers just coming onto your property and doing whatever they like? I'm not.

Wanted to add, if I'm outside, he doesn't just come over and start snow blowing. There's a sneakiness to it. He only does it if I'm not out there. He doesn't knock on my door or text me saying, "Hey I'm going to snow blow, want me to do your driveway?" To me, that is what a normal person would do. This thing he does has a weird, sneaky feeling to it.
How are you near strangers if you text message each other? I am near strangers with my next door neighbors - in that I don't know not only their phone numbers but their names. In fact, I could probably not even pick them out in a lineup if I had to. THAT is being near strangers.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:47 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I wonder how you phrased your denial of help to him. Maybe it was unclear?

For instance, in my old two family apartment, my downstairs neighbor would always come out to snow blow out my car and the rest of the driveway and walks. I'd always feign politeness and tell him he didn't have to do it, but I was absolutely delighted. I'm neither elderly nor infirm and short of a serial killer, I'll let anyone help get my car out. I might have even accepted the help of a serial killer with yesterday's heavy, icy snow. I don't think offering to help with a machine meant for making quick work of snow has anything to do with the offerer's assumption of your ability to do it.

I notice that you posted yesterday at 10:30 a.m. I'm practically your neighbor (15 minutes from Worcester) and I've gotta say, if you hadn't gone out to do at least a first pass by 9 or 10 yesterday, then I can completely understand why a neighbor would come help. It was some of the heaviest, iciest snowfalls I remember in a long time with rapidly dropping temps throughout the day. Just as you were posting, there was a wintry mix falling that turned the already heavy snow into absolute cement. Any of the cars that didn't shovel out yesterday in the parking lot of my complex are going to have to wait until later on this week when the temps warm up to get out. There's no breaking through the half a foot of solid ice encircling their cars. I've watched a few try. Maybe your neighbor was about to go in for the day and didn't want you to get stuck because you were waiting around to shovel?

Old 01-21-2019, 04:42 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
I said it too casually and subtly last year. This time I clearly stated not to snow blow my driveway and added the parts of Ted getting mad and the gravel flying around.
Why are you dragging poor old Ted into this and making up stories about him? Stand on your own two feet, woman!

Old 01-21-2019, 04:55 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
My neighbor, right across the street from me, is out there with his snowblower and the noise is so loud, I wonder if he's blowing my property?

I told him nicely last year to please not snowblow my driveway as I like the exercise. Plus, I don't want to be obliged to him in any way and my driveway is a bunch of little rocks, I don't want the snowblower spewing rocks all over and possibly breaking a window or causing a hole in the side of the house.

And my other neighbor, the one I share the driveway with, grumpily shouted at me one day that he didn't want other people on our property, that HE would snowblow his side of the driveway.

I can hear the snowblower out there now. Not sure if he is blowing my property or if he's just doing his. Hopefully he doesn't do mine because then I will have to get MAD. Why can't he just listen and do what I asked and mind his own business?
You got all worked up enough to type all of this and haven’t even looked out to see if he is indeed on your property? Forgive me but, exactly what is your problem?????

Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Okay, I went out there and yes, he did snow blow my driveway all the way to the back patio. I understand he's trying to be nice, but I am not a senior citizen and I do not need his help. He didn't do any snowblowing for any other neighbor.

I did that for my neighbor across the street and she was very happy. Different strokes....

Old 01-21-2019, 09:03 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Inquiring minds want to know if he's blowing it onto his yard or into the street?

We recently had the 'named' winter storm Harper blow through this past weekend and while the cities for the most part have done a good job cleaning up after 8 to 16 inches too many idiots blow the snow into the street. They should all be fined some extra money no reason to blow it onto their yards (they all have them).

A frustrated driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships