U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 01:26 PM

12,163 posts, read 10,344,414 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the first 20 minutes of one of those "First 48" stories on the crime TV channels.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:39 PM

12,596 posts, read 7,530,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Why didn't I think of such "easy" solutions?

Here's the thing: when the house has no soundproofing and it's loud bang! bang of wood against wood- door frames and drawers, you hear it from other floors and definitely from my room. Only solution is moving out, she doesn't seem to be open to feedback to change her ways.
Because it's her house. You are just an airbnb renter. It's not supposed to be a permanent living situation. Move!

Old 01-28-2019, 02:00 PM

359 posts, read 188,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Because it's her house. You are just an airbnb renter. It's not supposed to be a permanent living situation. Move!

Airbnb hosts are supposed to be courteous. I should've trusted my gut when I noticed she had 0 reviews on a new room listing after she had just deleted her previous listing following a bad review. Superhosts need to maintain an average rating close to 5/5 stars and tend to be more hospitable but the pricing is also reflecting of the higher level of service provided. This woman is not a new host but not a superhost either. She's middle of the road, has 4 years experience with occasional bookings, most of them at her condo located elsewhere.

I know it's not a permanent living situation, I didn't think I would be here that long. But just because it's her house, doesn't mean she should do whatever she wants and ignore her guest's reasonable demands such as quiet after 11pm. Which airbnb host/landlord/roommate, whatever.. in their right mind thinks it's OK to shower with the bathroom and bedroom doors open after 1am , even after multiple requests from a guest who's paying for a room in their home? She promised me to "try" to prepare for bed (that includes showering or washing her feet) earlier but she continues to make it impossible for me to sleep on time.

If it wasn't for the occasional benefits that I described in previous posts, I'd be long gone.

But first I'd have to spend time searching and visiting prospecting month to month rooms before actually making the move. It all takes time and I could risk ending up with a worse situation.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:24 PM

12,596 posts, read 7,530,391 times
Quote:
Airbnb hosts are supposed to be courteous. I should've trusted my gut when I noticed she had 0 reviews on a new room listing after she had just deleted her previous listing following a bad review. Superhosts need to maintain an average rating close to 5/5 stars and tend to be more hospitable but the pricing is also reflecting of the higher level of service provided. This woman is not a new host but not a superhost either. She's middle of the road, has 4 years experience with occasional bookings, most of them at her condo located elsewhere.

I know it's not a permanent living situation, I didn't think I would be here that long. But just because it's her house, doesn't mean she should do whatever she wants and ignore her guest's reasonable demands such as quiet after 11pm. Which airbnb host/landlord/roommate, whatever.. in their right mind thinks it's OK to shower with the bathroom and bedroom doors open after 1am , even after multiple requests from a guest who's paying for a room in their home? She promised me to "try" to prepare for bed (that includes showering or washing her feet) earlier but she continues to make it impossible for me to sleep on time.

If it wasn't for the occasional benefits that I described in previous posts, I'd be long gone.

But first I'd have to spend time searching and visiting prospecting month to month rooms before actually making the move. It all takes time and I could risk ending up with a worse situation.
You really need to live alone if someone showering is keeping you up at night. Any noise would easily be masked with earplugs, a fan, or a white noise machine. But it doesn't seem like you want to solve the problem yourself.

I shower before I go to bed. It's relaxing, and it's my routine. I like going to bed clean, and I wouldn't feel clean if I had instead showered earlier in the day. If a person staying in my house tried to demand I shower on their schedule... Sorry, I don't care if you're paying, it's still my house. I'm going to be respectful and keep noise to a minimum... But showering? You should be able to sleep through someone showering in another room.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You really need to live alone if someone showering is keeping you up at night. Any noise would easily be masked with earplugs, a fan, or a white noise machine. But it doesn't seem like you want to solve the problem yourself.

I shower before I go to bed. It's relaxing, and it's my routine. I like going to bed clean, and I wouldn't feel clean if I had instead showered earlier in the day. If a person staying in my house tried to demand I shower on their schedule... Sorry, I don't care if you're paying, it's still my house. I'm going to be respectful and keep noise to a minimum... But showering? You should be able to sleep through someone showering in another room.
Umm, if you think showering in a house with zero soundproofing , with doors wide open and at 1am is normal and that your guest should get over it, you would make for a bad host with ratings that reflect this. Ultimately too many bad reviews would lead to suspension of your airbnb hosting account and you'd lose out on potential revenue you could've received had you acted in a reasonable manner.

I get that it's relaxing, you and my host like to feel clean...but why not shower at 10-11pm instead of 1am? Most people have common sense and think of others' needs besides their own. My parents are in bed by 10:30pm and so are a lot of people who work full time jobs during regular business hours.

Also, you don't have my ears and you're not in this house so you have no idea how far the noise travels through walls, floors, ceiling....so easy to claim that earplugs, fan and white noise machine should mask it...you'd be surprised how noisy water running through pipes is.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:35 PM

693 posts, read 236,659 times
Quote:
Umm, if you think showering in a house with zero soundproofing , with doors wide open and at 1am is normal and that your guest should get over it, you would make for a bad host with ratings that reflect this. Ultimately too many bad reviews would lead to suspension of your airbnb hosting account and you'd lose out on potential revenue you could've received had you acted in a reasonable manner.

I get that it's relaxing, you and my host like to feel clean...but why not shower at 10-11pm instead of 1am? Most people have common sense and think of others' needs besides their own. My parents are in bed by 10:30pm and so are a lot of people who work full time jobs during regular business hours.

Also, you don't have my ears and you're not in this house so you have no idea how far the noise travels through walls, floors, ceiling....so easy to claim that earplugs, fan and white noise machine should mask it...you'd be surprised how noisy water running through pipes is.
If I recall correctly, when you lived with your parents they used to complain about the late hours you kept, as well as sleeping until late morning. Doesn't your work contract end in February? You only have a few days left in January, and you haven't lined up any job interviews. Soon you'll be back home, annoying your parents with your late night schedule, it's the circle of life!

Old 01-28-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
If I recall correctly, when you lived with your parents they used to complain about the late hours you kept, as well as sleeping until late morning. Doesn't your work contract end in February? You only have a few days left in January, and you haven't lined up any job interviews. Soon you'll be back home, annoying your parents with your late night schedule, it's the circle of life!
What a lovely person you are to wish ill will against a stranger.

P..S Roommate complained of feeling cold so she was wearing a jacket inside. OK.. She needed some assistance assembling another item so I obliged. She became active and lucky me, she was wearing loose shirt again. I feel like a perv for writing this, but this woman chose her clothing and chose to bend down in my line of sight, so who am I to act awkward and look away? She gave me what I wanted, so I guess we're even (for now - that is until she keeps me up tonight again).

Still, can you imagine a thread in the romantic relationship forum one day about this very roommate? I doubt it would happen though because I just helped her assemble yet more furniture with banging drawers and I don't see us being together in "that way". It would probably be more productive to work on myself, develop a social circle, get a stable place of my own, go to the gym...have a stable job/income and THEN try to get back into the dating game. But for now the shenanigans will continue until either she or I decide it's time for me to move on.

Last edited by sedonaverde; 01-28-2019 at 04:54 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 08:41 PM

43,200 posts, read 41,793,678 times
Quote:
What a lovely person you are to wish ill will against a stranger.

P..S Roommate complained of feeling cold so she was wearing a jacket inside. OK.. She needed some assistance assembling another item so I obliged. She became active and lucky me, she was wearing loose shirt again. I feel like a perv for writing this, but this woman chose her clothing and chose to bend down in my line of sight, so who am I to act awkward and look away? She gave me what I wanted, so I guess we're even (for now - that is until she keeps me up tonight again).

Still, can you imagine a thread in the romantic relationship forum one day about this very roommate? I doubt it would happen though because I just helped her assemble yet more furniture with banging drawers and I don't see us being together in "that way". It would probably be more productive to work on myself, develop a social circle, get a stable place of my own, go to the gym...have a stable job/income and THEN try to get back into the dating game. But for now the shenanigans will continue until either she or I decide it's time for me to move on.
Is she a roommate or a landlord? You can't even keep it straight.

You have no right to complain about what she does at 1 am because you willingly stay there.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Is she a roommate or a landlord? You can't even keep it straight.

You have no right to complain about what she does at 1 am because you willingly stay there.

Now you're just splitting hairs. Read the thread title. Still confused? Reread the entire thread then report back.

And just because someone is selfish and inconsiderate towards their guests, doesn't make it OK.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:20 AM

43,200 posts, read 41,793,678 times
I’ve read the whole thing, unfortunately, so I don’t need to report back. There are no hairs to split. She’s your landlord, not your roommate.

One thing that is obvious: You need professional therapy, preferably an inpatient setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or