U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,370 posts, read 35,864,624 times
Reputation: 62726

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Does be know he can do that? Does he know your pictures are also downloaded from social media, and not a scanned original? You originally said your dad sent them to you, which I had thought was through emaiI. Maybe he doesn't realize where you got them from, and was thinking you had better quality of these pictures saved to your computer. Saving a picture someone uoloaded on social media isn't that great of quality, especially with older photos.
My dad worked for decades on photos - collecting them, saving them, enhancing them, cropping them, labeling them. He emailed some to me. He posted a lot on social media which I just went and got. I do have most of the originals but they are packed away in boxes in my attic with about a thousand other boxes of STUFF from my parents' - some of which is my brother's (he has given me instructions on how to handle "his" other stuff as well). I am not going to go through boxes of old photos, and I am not going to give them all to my brother either.

The only reason he wants "the originals" is because if he has those, he won't have to do anything else. And then I won't have the originals, which is a notion that he likes. I know how his brain works. It's not pretty.

He hoards stuff, and doesn't take care of anything. I mean, NOTHING. Not his vehicles, not his clothes, not his house, nothing. He is a mess. He would simply pile these originals in their boxes in a corner somewhere, and if he moved or whatever, he'd leave them. He's done that with all sorts of items over the years. He is not a good person to have possession of original photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:23 PM
 
12,405 posts, read 7,457,768 times
Reputation: 23243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That being said, I did get some good advice that I had honestly not thought of, which was to simply download the photos onto a flash drive and give it to him. Now, I know that won't actually work because he will claim that he can't open them or whatever, but that's as far as I'm willing to go.
You could also share them with him through a (free) Dropbox account. That way he doesn't have to download anything and there wouldn't be a compatibility issue. He can either sign into Dropbox through their website, or download an app on his tablet. Then the pictures are basically already right there in a folder on his tablet. If he's able to sign in to an account he is able to access the photos.

There is a limit to the amount of space you can use to store photos in the free account, but I have hundreds of photos in my account, and still have plenty of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:29 PM
 
12,405 posts, read 7,457,768 times
Reputation: 23243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My dad worked for decades on photos - collecting them, saving them, enhancing them, cropping them, labeling them. He emailed some to me. He posted a lot on social media which I just went and got. I do have most of the originals but they are packed away in boxes in my attic with about a thousand other boxes of STUFF from my parents' - some of which is my brother's (he has given me instructions on how to handle "his" other stuff as well). I am not going to go through boxes of old photos, and I am not going to give them all to my brother either.

The only reason he wants "the originals" is because if he has those, he won't have to do anything else. And then I won't have the originals, which is a notion that he likes. I know how his brain works. It's not pretty.

He hoards stuff, and doesn't take care of anything. I mean, NOTHING. Not his vehicles, not his clothes, not his house, nothing. He is a mess. He would simply pile these originals in their boxes in a corner somewhere, and if he moved or whatever, he'd leave them. He's done that with all sorts of items over the years. He is not a good person to have possession of original photos.
I don't think anyone has suggested you send him the oriignals. If you do mail him pictures, everyone has suggested either copies or a digital file.

I understand not wanting to send the originals. I have a lot of family photos too, and would happily give anyone who asked a copy. But the origianls are mine, I would never give those out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 PM
 
3,135 posts, read 1,640,344 times
Reputation: 8580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You could also share them with him through a (free) Dropbox account. That way he doesn't have to download anything and there wouldn't be a compatibility issue. He can either sign into Dropbox through their website, or download an app on his tablet. Then the pictures are basically already right there in a folder on his tablet. If he's able to sign in to an account he is able to access the photos.

There is a limit to the amount of space you can use to store photos in the free account, but I have hundreds of photos in my account, and still have plenty of space.

I was about to suggest this. Dropbox is great for this. And he can get it on his phone too.
BTW if the photos are from a professional photographer (like if they are obviously portrait photography or wedding photos), places like Walgreens will request a waiver from the photographer saying you can reproduce them. They wouldn't make copies of my wedding photos until I gave them this letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,370 posts, read 35,864,624 times
Reputation: 62726
Sheeze, now he's texting me asking me where all our dad's binoculars are. Dad has been dead for years. He gave them away. I have already told my brother that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,370 posts, read 35,864,624 times
Reputation: 62726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You could also share them with him through a (free) Dropbox account. That way he doesn't have to download anything and there wouldn't be a compatibility issue. He can either sign into Dropbox through their website, or download an app on his tablet. Then the pictures are basically already right there in a folder on his tablet. If he's able to sign in to an account he is able to access the photos.

There is a limit to the amount of space you can use to store photos in the free account, but I have hundreds of photos in my account, and still have plenty of space.
Interesting. I will look into this. I got on Shutterfly and I realized that I already have an account there, but I can't see how he would access my photos without logging onto my account. I don't want him logging onto my account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,370 posts, read 35,864,624 times
Reputation: 62726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't think anyone has suggested you send him the oriignals. If you do mail him pictures, everyone has suggested either copies or a digital file.

I understand not wanting to send the originals. I have a lot of family photos too, and would happily give anyone who asked a copy. But the origianls are mine, I would never give those out.
Oh, I know no one is suggesting that. I just keep saying it because that's what HE keeps saying "Just give me the originals and I'll get them back to you." No he won't, and I know he won't. No way.

None of this will work because he doesn't really want to print photos. He just wants the originals. So basically I'm considering the best ways to share photos with him without giving him the originals, even though I know this is really all a waste of time on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Rochester, WA
5,394 posts, read 3,002,848 times
Reputation: 14772
Create an account for this purpose and share a link with your whole family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,370 posts, read 35,864,624 times
Reputation: 62726
OK, now I am the ignorant, non techie one. Does anyone know if there is a website where I can upload photos at no charge and he can access them without having to use my user name and password? It seems like shutterfly and dropbox both would require him to sign in under my name to access my photos. Am I wrong about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,370 posts, read 35,864,624 times
Reputation: 62726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Create an account for this purpose and share a link with your whole family.
OK I will do this. Thanks.

These are photos that are for the most part downloaded by me from social media. I mean, some of the older ones were from my DVDs or emails that my dad sent me, with ones scanned from originals. There are hundreds of them. This will take me awhile, and frankly, no one else is asking for this.

We are awash with photos. My kids (the grandkids) have hundreds. My older brother has hundreds. I have hundreds. My younger brother USED to have photos, and he's certainly had access to the same ones over the years, but they were never in one place for him to just claim, if that makes sense. In other words, they haven't been a priority to him at all, because he'd have to download them, save them, print them, that sort of thing, and now suddenly, now that he knows I have boxes of them, he wants them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top