U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:41 AM

9,014 posts, read 2,942,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I am a member of a book club that I really enjoy. There is only one problem: the books. They are not the genre I like at all. I enjoy the ladies very much, we socialize a while before the monthly meeting starts, and they are great people. But the books are chosen a year in advance, and most of them are these boring feel good fiction novels I would never choose for myself. I'm a noob, so I won't have any input on choices for a long time. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to drop out because I enjoy the women's company and don't socialize much as it is, but I don't like paying for and reading books I don't like either. I was thinking about faking it, reading the reviews for them on Amazon, and pretending I read them, but of course that's cheating. Thoughts?

I discovered something about myself and my reading preferences, when I was forced to take a year-long sequence of an American literature course, as a college requirement. I went into the course, assuming that I would hate it and looking at the one-a-week book list, I couldn't see a one that I would ever have read, on my own.

Well, with the very first book, I found that I was enjoying it a lot and I had no trouble finding time to read it. In fact, there wasn't a single book from the whole year, I didn't like. My whole sense of literary appreciation was overturned and all because I was dragged into it, against my wishes. Some of the great titles were, "Old Jules", "My Antonia" and "McTeague". I would not want to have missed those and all of the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 AM

2,928 posts, read 1,527,309 times
All groups are exciting at first, until you see the lack of influence you have. I would look into other ways of spending time with them. How much of the conversation involves the books you are reading?

Old 01-24-2019, 09:02 AM

14,559 posts, read 8,390,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
When it is your turn to pick I suggest "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson. If not for book club, read it anyway..... trust me. It isn't a feel good novel.

I think I would be faking it. I would love the social aspect of a book club, but I like intense books. Actually, I enjoy a wide variety of books, but not romance and feel good sorts. I can read pretty fast, but I hate wasting time on books I don't enjoy. Maybe you could just cheat part of the time, or read just parts of the books?
I thought about that too. Maybe I could skip over parts of them and skim some too. The nice thing about our club is they don't insist the members read the entire book every time. If we don't like them, we can just quit before we are finished. About half the meeting is chatting and the other half is book talk. Of all the genres these books could be about, this is a rare one I dislike. I like almost every genre except shiny happy novels. Then if I skim, I might discover I actually like it and read the whole thing.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:33 AM

20,975 posts, read 11,624,951 times
I'm curious about the process of how the books are selected, meaning is there one person who kind of drives the process so all the options end up being her preferred choices and everyone else just follows the path of least resistance, or does the group as a whole really want to focus on this one specific genre? If it's the former rather than the latter, I'd try to suck it up for this year where the list is presumably set, but then try to stage at least a partial coup for next year to broaden the list about. Not zero happy shiny books but getting in at least a few other types too. And definitely all the suggestions about getting books through the library or by other inexpensive means so you can at least skim through to the extent you want to participate.

But if everyone else really wants this genre, then you may have to just accept that even with nice people you enjoy socializing with, it may not be the book club for you. In that case, I might go ahead and explain that and say that you don't want to disrupt the club but would love to schedule some alternate social events with the group.

And maybe you and that other volunteer can start up a second book club with a more diverse book list. My book club disbanded when a few people moved away but while it lasted, one of the things I liked about it was that I did read books I wouldn't have otherwise chosen, and ended up really enjoying them. But we had a mix and the two that I think I enjoyed the most were non-fiction books, definitely not happy shiny ones (although we did read a few of those too)

Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM

14,559 posts, read 8,390,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm interested in the titles of the books you're reading, OP.

I really need a light "feel good" book occasionally - as long as they're well-written.

I'm also interested in what genre you would prefer?

A poster earlier mentioned in her book club the hostess picks the books - which is what my book club does also. Makes for a good variety of books.

Also, I almost never pay for books. Our library has most of them.

We did get stuck in WWII a couple years ago.
The latest books have been The Rosie Project,, The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto then we had The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper and we had The Alchemist. Now that I consider the content, it may not have been the specific genre that I don't care for but the fact that we don't ever read nonfiction. I really like nonfiction (history, business, medical, science, etc. . . ) but I know many people read as an escape and nonfiction is more educational, which many readers consider dull. We always meet in the same place and the same person runs the group for a whole year. Then another leader can take over the next year if she wants. Whenever we have a gap in book selection for a month, the leader of the group accepts suggestions and we all vote on them. Majority rules.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:29 AM

12,568 posts, read 13,984,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I am a member of a book club that I really enjoy. There is only one problem: the books. They are not the genre I like at all. I enjoy the ladies very much, we socialize a while before the monthly meeting starts, and they are great people. But the books are chosen a year in advance, and most of them are these boring feel good fiction novels I would never choose for myself. I'm a noob, so I won't have any input on choices for a long time. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to drop out because I enjoy the women's company and don't socialize much as it is, but I don't like paying for and reading books I don't like either. I was thinking about faking it, reading the reviews for them on Amazon, and pretending I read them, but of course that's cheating. Thoughts?
I was in pretty much the same situation once. I finally just read the reviews and skimmed the book, and I listened carefully to what others said about the book, which gave me ore info. I enjoyed the people as you do, and when I was able to engage in more activities I dropped out and did other things. I remained on a "let's have coffee " basis with some of the people in the group for awhile.

You like the people, enjoy them. If it means faking the reading, so what...it ain't church.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:28 AM

1,697 posts, read 535,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm curious about the process of how the books are selected, meaning is there one person who kind of drives the process so all the options end up being her preferred choices and everyone else just follows the path of least resistance, or does the group as a whole really want to focus on this one specific genre? If it's the former rather than the latter, I'd try to suck it up for this year where the list is presumably set, but then try to stage at least a partial coup for next year to broaden the list about. Not zero happy shiny books but getting in at least a few other types too. And definitely all the suggestions about getting books through the library or by other inexpensive means so you can at least skim through to the extent you want to participate.

But if everyone else really wants this genre, then you may have to just accept that even with nice people you enjoy socializing with, it may not be the book club for you. In that case, I might go ahead and explain that and say that you don't want to disrupt the club but would love to schedule some alternate social events with the group.

And maybe you and that other volunteer can start up a second book club with a more diverse book list. My book club disbanded when a few people moved away but while it lasted, one of the things I liked about it was that I did read books I wouldn't have otherwise chosen, and ended up really enjoying them. But we had a mix and the two that I think I enjoyed the most were non-fiction books, definitely not happy shiny ones (although we did read a few of those too)
Iím sure it must vary among various clubs but for the one my wife attends, whoever is scheduled to host the gathering gets to pick the book, so once once every 12 months or so, my wife gets to pick one.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 AM

26,811 posts, read 5,726,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It doesn't seem that changing the group's chosen genre is likely, so your only two choices would be sucking it up and reading the selections so you can continue with the group, or finding a new book club that more closely matches your preferences. I don't think faking participation is fair to anyone.

You could always invite these ladies to do things outside of the book club to keep the connection going.

And start your own club with more appropriate books.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:11 PM

9,183 posts, read 9,159,768 times
First of all, you can buy the book used, cheaply.

Second, since this is January, if you're saying you'd have to wait for an entire year of boring books - if it were me, I'd say, "I love this group of people so much, but it dawned on me that I usually gravitate toward different kinds of books. Since you're locked in to your titles so far in advance, I might not be coming as often, but I enjoy everyone's company so much that I'd love to have you all come over for brunch some time next month. Could I interest you all in that?"

If you're lucky, you'll start off a round of non-book socializing. Or they may ask what you like to read, and you may start them thinking about a new direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or