Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:21 PM

68 posts, read 35,306 times

Advertisements

My parents have never been together but i always had bi weekly visits with him growing up until he got married and changed his phone number, cutting off all communication because his new wife was jealous he had a life before her. This happened 9 years ago and i came across his profile on facebook and debated adding him. But I'm so scared he won't accept. And if he does then what? I'm worried one day I'll find out he passed away and wonder what could have been. I figure if i add him i made an attempt to reach out and if he rejects it that's on him. I don't know if I'll be able to take another rejection from him. What would you do?

Last edited by mellyy; 01-19-2019 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 08:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
What are you hoping to accomplish? He abandoned you, and if he regrets doing so, the attempt to reconnect should come from him. Your plan provides him with the power to hurt you again. Don't let him. I don't have any respect for a man who would cut off his child to appease a jealous wife. I'm sorry he treated you this way.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
You'll 'wonder what could've been'?!? He abandoned you!! What do you think is going to happen?

I can't fathom why you'd be remotely interested, unless you have some Disney movie idea of how it'll end up. And remember--its not like HE sought YOU out. He gladly turned his back on you and even changed his number and yet you want to hopefully be there in his old age.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:07 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
I doubt he’s wondering what could have been because he made the decision to cut you off and obviously has no interest in reaching out. So I have to wonder why you would ever think there would be “ could have been” anything?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
You'll 'wonder what could've been'?!? He abandoned you!! What do you think is going to happen?

I can't fathom why you'd be remotely interested, unless you have some Disney movie idea of how it'll end up. And remember--its not like HE sought YOU out. He gladly turned his back on you and even changed his number and yet you want to hopefully be there in his old age.
I appreciate your reply but this comes across as harsh. I'm sure you don't intend for it to come across this way. I know tone is hard to decipher over the internet. Maybe I'm just sensitive because this is a sensitive topic for me. I don't have a disney movie idea that things will somehow work out. I honestly don't think i can emotionally handle a rejection so I've decided not to reach out. The computer and the phone goes both ways. He knows my name, he could search me up on facebook if he really wanted to and obviously chose not to.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What are you hoping to accomplish? He abandoned you, and if he regrets doing so, the attempt to reconnect should come from him. Your plan provides him with the power to hurt you again. Don't let him. I don't have any respect for a man who would cut off his child to appease a jealous wife. I'm sorry he treated you this way.
You're right. Thank you for your post. I don't want him to have the power to hurt me again. I don't have respect for either of them. His jealous wife has children of her own too so obviously she had sex before she met my father.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:23 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyy View Post
I appreciate your reply but this comes across as harsh. I'm sure you don't intend for it to come across this way. I know tone is hard to decipher over the internet. Maybe I'm just sensitive because this is a sensitive topic for me. I don't have a disney movie idea that things will somehow work out. I honestly don't think i can emotionally handle a rejection so I've decided not to reach out. The computer and the phone goes both ways. He knows my name, he could search me up on facebook if he really wanted to and obviously chose not to.
No, that's the tone I intended, I don't sugar coat anything. I'm irritated at your 'father' for abandoning you the way he did--I hate any 'man' (I use the term loosely) who would do that. I'm hoping you won't let nostalgia (for lack of a better word) lead you into doing this. He's not worthy of you or your attention. Abandoned you? No idea of how your life turned out, whether you've lost loved ones or gained a family of your own, and he doesn't care (again, he didn't contact you). There was a woman who posted awhile back about the same issue, only in her case the 'parent' now had terminal cancer and wanted to re-connect. Not out of any sense of guilt or loyalty, mind you, just someone at the end of their life who--with no real time left to mend fences--wanted to go to her grave with a clear conscious. Please.

Glad to see you've made a decision in YOUR best interests, not the loser's.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
No, that's the tone I intended, I don't sugar coat anything. I'm irritated at your 'father' for abandoning you the way he did--I hate any 'man' (I use the term loosely) who would do that. I'm hoping you won't let nostalgia (for lack of a better word) lead you into doing this. He's not worthy of you or your attention. Abandoned you? No idea of how your life turned out, whether you've lost loved ones or gained a family of your own, and he doesn't care (again, he didn't contact you). There was a woman who posted awhile back about the same issue, only in her case the 'parent' now had terminal cancer and wanted to re-connect. Not out of any sense of guilt or loyalty, mind you, just someone at the end of their life who--with no real time left to mend fences--wanted to go to her grave with a clear conscious. Please.

Glad to see you've made a decision in YOUR best interests, not the loser's.
Thank you for clarifying! I felt like you were angry at me for some reason lol. No you're right. Reaching out would bring me nothing but pain and disappointment. Why reopen old wounds?

Old 01-20-2019, 05:39 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
No.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyy View Post
My parents have never been together but i always had bi weekly visits with him growing up until he got married and changed his phone number, cutting off all communication because his new wife was jealous he had a life before her. This happened 9 years ago and i came across his profile on facebook and debated adding him. But I'm so scared he won't accept. And if he does then what? I'm worried one day I'll find out he passed away and wonder what could have been. I figure if i add him i made an attempt to reach out and if he rejects it that's on him. I don't know if I'll be able to take another rejection from him. What would you do?
I didn't meet my dad until I was 18. I had to find him. My mom wouldn't speak about him. It turned out he lived 5 miles down the road from me my whole life. I made several attempts to form a relationship with him and my effort wasn't matched. He never formally met his grandson. We were in Subway one day and he walked in and he stopped to speak to me. My 6 year old son at the time said, "Mom you know you shouldn't talk to strangers". It was a very sad moment. He was a stranger. The last time I spoke I to him was after Hurricane Matthew. We had several trees down in our yard and didn't have a chainsaw. I asked to borrow his and he was more worried about his equipment being damaged even though my husband knows how to operate it perfectly fine. More now than ever, I am realizing that I have given people way too many chances and I have chose to see the glimmer of good in people, instead of seeing them for who they really are.

My point is...sometimes people are just sorry. Don't let him break your heart. I wouldn't reach out of Facebook. I would call or see him face to face. It's a better gauge. If their is no reciprocity then let him go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships