U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2019, 10:13 PM
 
786 posts, read 626,296 times
Reputation: 251

Advertisements

Here is the situation we are going through custody cases now regarding our 5 year old daughter. Currently I live in SJ north in a nice spacious studio alone. Taking adv. of winter rate, I am contemplating to move to 1bedroom if i chose to live alone and occsaionally bring my daughter. I also have an option to consider which is renting 2 bedroom with another roommate with most likely a stranger. Which one do you think will be better in the situation like this? For the $$ saving obviously the second option better but 1rd option is more expensive but offers privacy. I also have some doubts about living alone (although I am not weird type) and have lived for years alone and not sure if this fact will be a concern during our custody case hearing. I also have an interest to live with roommate but I have been through during my college years and now how it looks like. Incompatible and messy roommates are hard and any issue could spiral into a major issue when you have a legal contract in regards to rent payment. Also issue of sharing bathroom and kitchen.
Thanks..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2019, 02:27 AM
 
3,140 posts, read 1,645,731 times
Reputation: 8585
This is not an issue for the Caregiving forum...but to answer your question: No, you should not be rooming with a stranger if you have a 5 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 06:50 AM
 
28 posts, read 9,712 times
Reputation: 132
Definitely not the 2 bedroom option with a stranger in your home with a child there. The 1 bedroom sounds like the best option. What are your doubts about living alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,665 posts, read 4,379,291 times
Reputation: 11623
If you are going thru a situation where your living arrangements will be evaluated by a 3rd party such as a court appointed social worker then your roommate will also be scrutinized (including a criminal check) so you certainly will complicate your process. Also another person for your child to have to adjust to. I think a roommate is a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
5,084 posts, read 5,359,309 times
Reputation: 12586
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
If you are going thru a situation where your living arrangements will be evaluated by a 3rd party such as a court appointed social worker then your roommate will also be scrutinized (including a criminal check) so you certainly will complicate your process. Also another person for your child to have to adjust to. I think a roommate is a bad idea.
I concur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
26,910 posts, read 5,779,241 times
Reputation: 30152
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
This is not an issue for the Caregiving forum...but to answer your question: No, you should not be rooming with a stranger if you have a 5 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Scrapple country
1,547 posts, read 1,268,569 times
Reputation: 4572
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 09:27 AM
 
5,320 posts, read 2,296,726 times
Reputation: 14772
Obviously not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Louisiana and Pennsylvania
2,755 posts, read 5,311,617 times
Reputation: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcd951 View Post
Here is the situation we are going through custody cases now regarding our 5 year old daughter. Currently I live in SJ north in a nice spacious studio alone. Taking adv. of winter rate, I am contemplating to move to 1bedroom if i chose to live alone and occsaionally bring my daughter. I also have an option to consider which is renting 2 bedroom with another roommate with most likely a stranger. Which one do you think will be better in the situation like this? For the $$ saving obviously the second option better but 1rd option is more expensive but offers privacy. I also have some doubts about living alone (although I am not weird type) and have lived for years alone and not sure if this fact will be a concern during our custody case hearing. I also have an interest to live with roommate but I have been through during my college years and now how it looks like. Incompatible and messy roommates are hard and any issue could spiral into a major issue when you have a legal contract in regards to rent payment. Also issue of sharing bathroom and kitchen.
Thanks..!
Never, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2019, 10:02 AM
 
48 posts, read 14,067 times
Reputation: 137
If you have a roommate, you know that sooner or later you are going to impose child caring responsibilities on them (e.g., can you watch my daughter for 5 minutes while I run to the corner store to buy some milk? And then you show back up in two hours). The roommate will eventually grow to resent this, and there is your hostile living situation.


Live alone. I do not understand why you even had to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:59 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top