Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 11:00 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He still on vacation, and he has no idea that the OP has not been getting his mail.
The OP apparently has heard from the neighbor because he knows that the neighbor "extended his vacation" (who does that?). Seems reasonable that the OP could let the neighbor know what's going on. This isn't the OP's problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 11:09 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The OP apparently has heard from the neighbor because he knows that the neighbor "extended his vacation" (who does that?). Seems reasonable that the OP could let the neighbor know what's going on. This isn't the OP's problem.
OP agreed to get the mail for neighbor. I think he should have let neighbor know he was going away rather than let the neighbor's mail pile up in the box to the point it was so overstuffed the post office took it all back and put a security hold on the mailbox. To me that is kind of rude. He agreed to take care of his mail. I would be upset if my mail was piling up in my box that much, letting everyone know I'm not home and risking personal information being stolen.

All he had to do was say "I agreed to get your mail till the 10th, but I'm going away myself the week after" when neighbor extended. Then neighbor could have either asked someone else to get his mail or went online and have it held and redelivered at a later date. To me it's irresponsible to agree to do something for someone then stop doing it and not let them know to make alternate arrangements.

Thank goodness he didn't ask OP to feed his cat, lol.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:17 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
He could have just concluded that his neighbor extended the vacation when he didn't come home on the date he was expected. It doesn't mean he's heard from the neighbor.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:39 AM

23,860 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
OP agreed to get the mail for neighbor. I think he should have let neighbor know he was going away rather than let the neighbor's mail pile up in the box to the point it was so overstuffed the post office took it all back and put a security hold on the mailbox. To me that is kind of rude. He agreed to take care of his mail. I would be upset if my mail was piling up in my box that much, letting everyone know I'm not home and risking personal information being stolen.

All he had to do was say "I agreed to get your mail till the 10th, but I'm going away myself the week after" when neighbor extended. Then neighbor could have either asked someone else to get his mail or went online and have it held and redelivered at a later date. To me it's irresponsible to agree to do something for someone then stop doing it and not let them know to make alternate arrangements.

Thank goodness he didn't ask OP to feed his cat, lol.
I don't think he has their phone number to let them know and he's assuming the neighbor extended his vacation. Read his initial post

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
My neighbor in apt community went on a vacation and was suppose to be back in early-mid January, but looks like their vacation got extended. They gave me their mailbox keys to collect their mails. In between I went on a vacation for a week and I wasn't able to check their mails and they seem to have got a lot of mails. Anyways, since the mailbox must have got full beyond capacity, USPS took all their mails back to post office and have left a letter for them to collect their mails from post office within 2 weeks, else their address will be considered as vacant.

Am not sure when my neighbors are arriving back. I don't have a problem collecting their mails, but I guess USPS won't hand it over to me since they might need an address proof from me.

Any idea if I can request USPS to hold their mails for more time so they can go collect it once they are back? I just don't want them to lose their mails which are on hold and also any future mails if their address becomes vacant.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:03 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't think he has their phone number to let them know and he's assuming the neighbor extended his vacation. Read his initial post

Maybe. it seems odd to me though to trust someone enough to give them your mailbox keys and not have a phone number, e-mail etc. Maybe the guy died on vacation then, who knows?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:08 PM

23,860 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Maybe. it seems odd to me though to trust someone enough to give them your mailbox keys and not have a phone number, e-mail etc. Maybe the guy died on vacation then, who knows?
Very possible or he got sick and is in the hospital.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:02 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,472,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Very possible or he got sick and is in the hospital.

Could even be in jail. I read a book once about something similar, and the box holder was getting drugs through the mail.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:55 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
In the past, I've had reciprocal arrangements with friends. When we went on vacation, they would pick up our mail. When they went on vacation, we would pick up theirs.

We much preferred doing it that way because once I put in a request with the local post office. I filled out a form and asked them to start holding our mail starting on a certain date. Instead, they started holding it before we even went on vacation. Then, when we got back, no mail was even being delivered to us. I had to call the post office about all of this. They then made a special trip to bring the mail to our home the same day I called.
Did you include a date when you wanted regular mail delivery to resume? If you don't, the PO will continue to hold.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:16 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,368,504 times
Quote:
It’s not his mail, it’s the neighbors mail. OP offered to get it while the person was away, but then he stayed longer than he was expected and OP went on vacation himself without making arrangements or letting neighbor know. If the neighbor knew, he could’ve gone on the post office website and had his mail held at the post office for a week and then re-delivered to the box when OP returned.
You missed who this was directed towards, not the original OP.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:26 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,368,504 times
Quote:
People hiding from their misdeeds. The next step will be the OP's neighbor offers a house key to bring the mail inside to the house and while inside two tough looking fellows will show up and mistaken the OP for the neighbor's alias, Mr. George Kaplan and a kidnapping will take place being whisked away to the Townsend estate in Glen Cove, Long Island.

Let this be a lesson, never accept to pick up someone else's postal mail, and always use online USPS hold mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships