Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,319 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who only talks about himself. I usually just let it slide for a long time and its pretty annoying. We have been really good friends for awhile. Basically our conversation goes him just spilling his stuff on me and i listen. I talk about what is going on with me and i either get no response or "nice." our conversation is basically revolves around him. I act like I am interested, ask leading questions just being a good conversationalist. What would you do? let him know or just let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 04:02 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,547 times
ugh, that reminds me of the POS I dated, and how mad I am that I put up with it for so long. I remember the last time, I was like, I'm just not gonna say anything, and see how long it takes him to ask about me. and he never did. and of course I just got so annoyed that I finally just went back to talking...what a lame POS. I should have just came right out and said "sooooo, you really have no interest in me, do you?"

it really makes me wonder if that's how those people are, or if it's just because they're not interested in you, and think hey here's someone that'll listen to me, or maybe if I just keep talking about myself they'll get annoyed and leave.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:12 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdtalk12 View Post
I have a friend who only talks about himself. I usually just let it slide for a long time and its pretty annoying. We have been really good friends for awhile. Basically our conversation goes him just spilling his stuff on me and i listen. I talk about what is going on with me and i either get no response or "nice." our conversation is basically revolves around him. I act like I am interested, ask leading questions just being a good conversationalist. What would you do? let him know or just let it go.
Give him a chance and tell him what is wrong and what you expect from him. If he doesn't change, cut contact.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:57 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdtalk12 View Post
I'd fade out and find a new friend. How did you two become friends in the first place?

Old 06-24-2019, 06:04 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,800 times
I have a few friends like this...going out and trying to have fun with them always ends up with a monologue of stories about them. It's no fun. I normally cut bait with these types...

Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd fade out and find a new friend. How did you two become friends in the first place?
This is the real question. I'm always fascinated by people who have such strange and inexplicable friend selection criteria.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This is the real question. I'm always fascinated by people who have such strange and inexplicable friend selection criteria.
If you don't want to work very hard at making friends but just want to have someone to hang out with, the guy who can't stop talking about himself is always available because he's alienated everybody else.

The idea of befriending quality people is apparently quaint and archaic, judging by the number of people who come here to complain about their friends.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:11 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"The idea of befriending quality people is apparently quaint and archaic, judging by the number of people who come here to complain about their friends."
complainers talk/post.

that is like the old Burnt Toast joke:

A little 6 year-old boy won't talk.
His Mother takes him to the doctor, who says,"He's fine. Just give him time." A couple months later, his Mother takes him to a Child Psychologist, who says, "He's fine. Just give him time." A couple months later, his Mother is cooking his breakfast and she accidentally burns his toast. Scraping the burnt toast over the sink, She thinks to herself, "He'll never know the difference". And she serves the toast. As she turns back to the sink, the little boy says,"This damn toast is burnt!" Shocked, the Mother turns and says,"What did you say?" "This damn toast is burnt!" She says,"Omigod! You're talking! What happened? Why did you take so long to talk?" "Up till now, everything was OK."

Old 06-24-2019, 09:36 PM

743 posts, read 876,806 times
Your friend sounds just like my mother. My mom will say, "what are you up to?". THAT is my only chance to say anything about myself. If I say "nothing much", that's it about me. She won't give me another chance even if I try. I've gone so far as to over talk her with something about myself. It doesn't do any good. She doesn't remember anything I say anyway.

If I were you, I'd move on. Your friend is oblivious to anyone but himself. And he won't change either.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:02 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I've been acquainted with several people like that, some have been close friends, some relatives, some business acquaintances. They're mostly pretty good-hearted people but can carry on and on at times. After a while of listening about them I will just start consistently changing the subject so that we're mostly talking about mundane things that have nothing personal to do with either one of us so that we aren't talking about ourselves. If they manage to swing the conversation back around to their personal selves again I gently change the subject again to a different mundane, non-personal topic.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships