U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 04:33 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,139,165 times

Advertisements

If you were a flopping, vomiting drunk, then I'd have to agree with him, but as you say, you only have a few drinks and don't throw up. I find it very strange that what you call a GOOD??? friend would refuse to give you a ride home. I'd rethink this friendship OP.

I'd drive for hours through the night in a snow storm to pick up one of my friends if they didn't have a way to get home, sober or drunk. If drunk, I'd ask them to let me know RIGHT AWAY if I need to pull over for them to puke.

I know my friends would do the same for me. That's what GOOD friends do. We take care of each other.

If I were you, I'd take a taxi but I'd certainly make this friend aware that you aren't impressed with his decision not to help a friend out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 AM

24,845 posts, read 23,772,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Okay, based on this description, the likelihood is he has some sort of brain or neurological impairment or a form of autism is high. However, he seems to have no lack in the good sense department.
That's what I think, too.

I love The Brave Little toaster.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:38 AM

2,194 posts, read 920,020 times
Who knows what the REAL reason is for not wanting to be your DD. I wouldn’t do it either, but that’s because I can’t stand being around drunk people and there are always drunk people at any bar. No thanks. I wouldn’t get worked up about it either. You asked-they declined. Find another way.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:57 AM

717 posts, read 475,838 times
I wonder if he would still comply if he knew you bashed him behind his back in screenshot texts shared with friends and on these forums.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:18 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,187,092 times
Is this really the new generation of men? One is grounded at age 28 (WTF???) and the other is feeling entitled to others time and efforts?

Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 AM

717 posts, read 475,838 times
Right?! ...just remarkable.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:31 AM

6,449 posts, read 2,317,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Yup, I sure did! And I am NOT ashamed. I left the situation alone as you all advised me, but he changed his mind out of his own volition. If you guys still have a problem with that, then there's nothing else I have to say. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but that's the way the situation is. You all were much ruder to me than I was to you.

Did he? Or did your other friend have that talk with him?

I have a question. Why does he drive you and your friends all over town? You said he drives you to the bowling alley and other places. Why?

Oh...and another question...how old are you and these other friends? I'm curious why you all can't drive yourselves around town, and how in the heck you all got into the notion that he some how owed you.

Honestly, to me it sounds like you and your other friends typically take advantage of this guy, and someone held a little bit of emotional black mail over his head. Grade schoolish "We won't like you anymore unless you do*****"

But hey, you got your way.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:41 AM

12,890 posts, read 15,383,757 times
No...your neighbor is NOT being "unreasonable".....YOU are...incredibly unreasonable.
And for what???a free ride home?
Grow up...take care of yourself....it's not your neighbors attitude that's a problem...it's your sense of entitlement that's your problem.

From the last post above, I gather you got your way...guess your neighbor once again fell for being used by you....hope you're happy.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:48 AM

32,032 posts, read 13,067,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Let us know if you puke in his car.
Hahaha! What a weird a$$ situation

Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 AM

688 posts, read 234,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
My birthday is coming up on Saturday, and I am going out to a local bar for some drinks with 3 friends. One of the people who is coming is a longtime friend, who also lives a few houses down the street from me, and this person doesn't drink at all. Not even the occasional beer or glass of wine. He is still perfectly fine with coming and wants to, and I figured he would have no problem picking me up, since he lives right down the street, and being my designated driver so I could have a few drinks. I am a responsible drinker also and was only planning on having 2 or 3 drinks. I texted him to see if he could hitch a ride with me there and back, expecting it to be no problem, and he responded with, "No, sorry, I won't be able to pick you up. I don't know how many drinks you plan on having and I dont want you getting sick in my car." I responded with, "Don't worry, I could understand why you'd be hesitant, but I'm only planning on having 2 or 3 drinks, which I've had plenty of times at parties and never gotten sick or even drunk with that amount. Now that you know that, will you pick me up? I'd really appreciate it and would give you gas money also" And he responded with, "No, sorry. Find your own way there."

I don't even know what to think here. I told this guy I'm planning on being responsible, we've been friends for years, and he lives right down the street from me so he can't use the excuse that it's out of the way. All I wanted him to do was give me a ride so I could enjoy a few drinks on my birthday. And he was so rude about it also. I'm not even sure if I want him to come anymore, given how rude he is being, but there are only 4 of us going in total, and he is just as good of friends with them as I am. I actually texted one of the people going with screenshots of his texts, and they responded with, "Wow, that is so rude of him. I'm going to talk to him and try to fix this, and if he won't, then we'll figure it out." I appreciate that very much, but if they still can't convince my "friend" to drive me, I'm going to have to Uber or drive myself and have maybe one beer or so. I feel that he should pay for it if I Uber if he's going to be this ridiculous. He's excited about Saturday otherwise, but part of what bothers me is how rude he was about the whole thing. He doesn't trust that I'm not going to be sick, and I don't even want to get plastered like that. I simply wanted to have a good time. My other friend will be speaking to him tomorrow to try and straighten him out because she agrees that he's being rude, but I am thinking of approaching it myself and telling him I don't want him there or that he has to at least pay for an Uber.
When drivers get pulled over for DUI, how many drinks do they say they had? Two or three drinks, just like you. Have a good time, and take Uber. Your friend is not required to drive you, or pay for your transportation. Happy Birthday, may you grow older and wiser with age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or