U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2019, 12:57 PM
 
16,801 posts, read 14,458,044 times
Reputation: 37861

Advertisements

To answer the question... I guess so? But how would I know how they really felt, since they don't come out and say it. There are some people I don't click with and I always assume it's because I'm a strong personality and some folks get to feeling insecure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2019, 01:37 PM
 
2,677 posts, read 1,059,804 times
Reputation: 5166
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
There's this gas station on my morning commute that I've stopped at a few times. Every time that I've gone in there it's been the same lady behind the counter. There will be a hand full of people in front of me, and you can hear her laughing and joking with the customers. When I get up to the counter I get the cold shoulder, no smile, asks me if I want my receipt and that's it.
This isn't one of those things that I'm losing sleep over, or I feel that I've been slighted in some way, but it makes me curious as to why someone would react like this?
Who knows why people do the things they do? We are mostly only thinking about ourselves. So if someone is the brunt of our behavior we often don't even realise it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 09:05 PM
 
3,092 posts, read 2,183,902 times
Reputation: 5175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
No. They always have a reason. It's because they're jerks.
Agree. I've encountered people who don't like me for whatever reason. I just pretend that they don't exist when I see them. In the words of Kevin O'Leary from Shark Tank: "They're dead to me!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Texas
9,190 posts, read 3,552,236 times
Reputation: 19013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Agree. I've encountered people who don't like me for whatever reason. I just pretend that they don't exist when I see them. In the words of Kevin O'Leary from Shark Tank: "They're dead to me!"
Same here. I forget about them and keep enjoying my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 11:30 PM
 
1,928 posts, read 945,761 times
Reputation: 5154
I had this happen once or twice, and my reaction was to return the sentiment (cold indifference, just take my order/give me my change). One young woman who had consistently had this attitude changed her tune after she saw me laugh with one of her friendly co-workers, but no thanks, miss, stay the way you were, not interested (continued cold indifference). I honestly think in some cases they exhibit this behavior as some form of 'crush' and then get offended when you don't display your psychic ability to see that she's really a nice person and wants to befriend you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 11:31 PM
 
6,084 posts, read 2,804,574 times
Reputation: 15392
Intuition does seem to kick in when the vibe is of discontent or dismissive attitudes. I commend some of the folks here that seem to think t1t for t@t is the en vogue way to handle it. (complimentary sarcasm)

I tend to think when a stranger is being anti social or carrying a rather negative attitude...a bit of spice is needed....A kind word...or a quick one liner. On the rare occassion when the person needs a mirror...I usually provide it with a glimmer of hope that they can modify that character defect.

As someone that was on the wrong side of a situation one day....I was given that "wake up" call for how inconsiderate and yes down right rude I was. I can say without a doubt that Gent was correct....I really was making assumptions thru my behavior and stand offish attitude. He put me straight in a direct and "Maybe you need to look at yourself .." guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 PM
 
1,928 posts, read 945,761 times
Reputation: 5154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
To answer the question... I guess so? But how would I know how they really felt, since they don't come out and say it. There are some people I don't click with and I always assume it's because I'm a strong personality and some folks get to feeling insecure.
Precisely this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 12:21 PM
 
791 posts, read 434,901 times
Reputation: 698
I encountered this when I worked at a department store, with one of the sales associates in another department. I don't recall specifics, or what/what started it, but "Carolyn" was never particularly friendly towards me (including the few times I was a customer in her department), and I just had a strong feeling that she disliked me/I annoyed her.

As far as I knew, I'd never said or done anything to Carolyn, and since our respective departments were on different floors, I saw very little of her at work. (only thing I could think of it was it was a racial thing on her end.....she and I are two different ethnic backgrounds)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 03:09 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,112 posts, read 6,518,110 times
Reputation: 13901
There could be endless reasons for why some people don't like other people for no reasons that are immediately apparent to the people being disliked.

- body odor, breath odor, eye, hair or skin colour, height, weight, gender, age, accent and tone of voice, their choices of fashion and colours of clothes and shoes, wrong hair style, wrong glasses, their choices of cars, music, foods and other consumables, politics, place of origin, level of education, popularity, notoriety, too loud, too quiet, got kids/got no kids, lawn too short/lawn too tall and weedy, wrong partners or friends, too wealthy, too poor ..... and yada, yada, yada.

The important thing to remember is that it's not important. Everybody, without exception, has their own weird little idiosyncrasies and eccentricities about what they like or don't like in other people and it's not possible for everyone to please everyone else all the time. Don't sweat the small stuff and don't worry about the people you don't click with, just be yourself and focus on the people you love and who love you back.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 03:20 PM
 
9,188 posts, read 9,169,503 times
Reputation: 11555
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
There's this gas station on my morning commute that I've stopped at a few times. Every time that I've gone in there it's been the same lady behind the counter. There will be a hand full of people in front of me, and you can hear her laughing and joking with the customers. When I get up to the counter I get the cold shoulder, no smile, asks me if I want my receipt and that's it.
This isn't one of those things that I'm losing sleep over, or I feel that I've been slighted in some way, but it makes me curious as to why someone would react like this?
Maybe the real question should be, why would you expect everyone to like you, and even though you say your not losing sleep, why do you care enough to post about it? Up until now, has everyone you've ever encountered liked you?

By the way, if it does bother you - you don't mention anything about trying to break the ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top