Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 11:13 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times

Advertisements

I'm interested to see if anyone has met someone with whom they had an online debate in order to continue the debate in person. I had a half silly/half serious debate with someone online, who insisted a city I like is dump, while I defended the city. He said he was sure I would never say all that I was saying to his face, because I would be too afraid of him. I disagreed. He wanted to meet for coffee to discuss it, while in the same post saying I could not change his mind and my opinion meant nothing to him. I declined, saying that I didn't think it was worth my time, as he was not interested in others' opinions. I don't think it is. (Yes--I do see the irony of the fact that I am still talking about it, just elsewhere).

So here's my question: have you ever followed through with meeting a stranger you had a disagreement with online? How did it go? Was the person looking for a physical fight? Were they actually really cool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,322 times
No.

Why? What would be the point. You will never change his opinion, and he will never change yours. Plus, what if this person is really some kind of a nut.

This would be a ridiculous thing to do

Old 01-30-2019, 11:38 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
If I was in an argument with an opponent online who challenged me to get together in person to continue the argument so they could prove a point I would think that person is a very dangerous psychopathic predator who has ulterior motives and evil intentions to do harm to me.

Only a complete fool with no survival instincts and no good judgement of character would agree to such a meeting with an online opponent.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:59 AM

I'm the type whose default is "this probably isn't safe," but on the other hand, you could argue that as long as it's a public place, you can always just leave. I don't think I would ever agree to it myself, regardless, but it'd be interesting to see if someone actually went through with it and didn't wind up with a black eye.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:56 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm the type whose default is "this probably isn't safe," but on the other hand, you could argue that as long as it's a public place, you can always just leave. I don't think I would ever agree to it myself, regardless, but it'd be interesting to see if someone actually went through with it and didn't wind up with a black eye.

People get killed/injured in public places all the time. This person sounds dangerous don't do it.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:18 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
I know of 2 people who did this. Two guys.

It didn't go well. It was 2 people who were 'regulars' in the STLtoday forums.

One said the other pulled a gun on him after arguing.

IMO, if there's already animosity before even going out the gate...what's the point?

Old 01-30-2019, 04:02 PM

^ Damn. That is nuts.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
No, however I have dated someone I met online.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I was on an internet dog training/rescue forum and a long time poster asked for help from my area and I went and helped out with a dog transport to a rescue agency. I wasn't the least bit surprised when I met her - she was as kind and rational in person as she was online.

There was another event, posted on that same dog forum, about a protest of a pet shop that sold puppies. The poster organizing it seemed kind of nuts, and extremely aggressive and alpha male, so although I agreed with the spirit of the protest, there's no way I was going to show up and have him turn out to be as antisocial and aggressive as he came across online. No thanks.

I later had a private conversation with another poster who said he was a wimpy little worm. Wish I'da gone.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:49 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
but on the other hand, you could argue that as long as it's a public place, you can always just leave.
And they could always follow you.

You just don't know the type of person you might be dealing with, and meeting in public is no guarantee that you'll be safe. I would never meet a stranger to finish an argument. That sounds like a horrible idea, regardless of where you plan to meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships