Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:12 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Good luck.

I'm gonna guess the "sucka!" after "Good luck" was implied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 11:13 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Yeah, but I wouldn't live with a stranger

And I will never again let a friend, even one we've known for decades, move in with us.

It was an utter disaster. Friends take liberties, as you've discovered.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:50 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times
Quote:
He is paying rent. He's an old family friend. I've known him for over 20 years. He's not just a roommate to kick out. I'm just looking for a livable solution.
Okay, so he's paying rent and he's a family friend. But you seem to be afraid to tell him your expectations ....instead you're playing head games. A living solution is for YOU to make it clear to him that chores are to be shared. Dishes stacking up as you describe is ridiculous.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:41 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
The way I see it, you have 3 options.

1. Just have a conversation with him. Tell him the dishes are getting out of hand and if you both help load/unload the dishwasher it wont be an issue. Don't say it in passing, don't casually mention it, but sit down and discuss what's expected with two people sharing a space now.

2. Suck it up and load and unload it yourself. If you notice a dirty dish, put it in the dishwasher and don't let the sink get full.

3. Kick him out.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:49 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Increase the rent to an amount you won't resent.

Say "OK - when we agreed to the rent, I assumed equal split on the chores. If you want me to do all the cleanup, it will be $200 more (or whatever you think is fair) See what he chooses then!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 02-04-2019 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM

741 posts, read 590,524 times
All these ideas are great, and a couple are inventive and funny. But they’re only as effective as the OP’s willingness to enforce the implied threat of kicking him out for non-compliance. If there’s no threat to his living situation, there’s no real incentive for him to change. A lot of supposed adults operate this way in life. You have to hit them financially and/or “where they live” (literally, in this case) in order to effect change.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:18 PM

999 posts, read 553,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Increase the rent to an amount you won't resent.

Say "OK - when we agreed to the rent, I assumed equal split on the chores. If you want me to do all the cleanup, it will be $200 more (or whatever you think is fair) See what he chooses then!
Yes if OP isn't willing to kick him out, this is the best option.

I'd just be super direct about this.

"I value you as a friend, and I like living with you, but the dishes are becoming a big problem. Since you seem unable to keep up your end of the cleaning, I'm going to need an extra $200 a month to make up for the time I have to spend cleaning up after you. I'd prefer to not have to do this, but you've left me no choice."

Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 PM

134 posts, read 113,524 times
Before you have a really big blowout with him, just tell him "Your arms and legs aren't broken, so put your effing dishes in the dishwasher, and when it is full, run it, and when it finishes, empty it. It's not that hard."

Old 02-04-2019, 06:32 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I'm so interested in how many people are willing to work so hard to avoid a tiny little bit of work, to keep things going smoothly.

I reminded myself tonight of my college roommate, who I really liked. I put up with her very enormous but sweet friendly dog, and she put up with me NEVER TAKING OUT THE TRASH. Like, never. So when she graduated and moved out after 2 years of living together, I had to call her and ask when trash pick up day was because I certainly did not know.

On the other hand, I would cheerfully mop the floor frequently, or at least toss down a kitchen towel to pick up the bulk of wetness, because her big dog left slobber trails after getting a drink of water in the kitchen.

It's not so hard to get along. You don't have to turn everything into a big fight.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:56 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
I had a friend who needed a place to stay. I let him move into a spare bedroom. I have to tell him to do dishes. The problem persist.

I will fill the dishwasher, empty it, then wait for him to do the same. But the dishes just get pilled up and I can't even wash one in the sink, because it's piled high.

So I put about 1/3 of the plates and dishes in the highest cabinet, where it won't be easily accessible. We went through 1 cycle of dishes after that, where I did the dishes. Now all the dishes were in the sink dirty. I saw that that didn't work. But at least there were less dirty dishes. And yes, I had told him to do dishes a few times, but I can't keep that up.

Then I took 3 more large plates, 3 small plates and 3 bowls, washed them by hand and hid them

Now there is a half sink full of dirty dishes and bowls. But that is all the dishes and bowls in the whole kitchen. Aside from the hidden plates.

So he will have to take a dirty plate or bowl out of the sink and wash it, in order to eat. So he has no choice but to at least clean that plate. And the sink can't possibly be completely full of dishes, since there aren't enough to fill it.

I don't know what else to do, But obviously he can't manage a whole cabinet of dishes so we only have like 5 plates and 5 bowls. I don't want to kick the slob out.
Listen, this guy is flat out taking advantage of your generosity. Just how much longer do you intend to put up with this? Are you thinking all of your effort is somehow going to suddenly “take hold” and the light will go off in his brain and he’ll start pulling his weight? He’s playing you! Give him ONE ultimatum and then kick him out!
Don’t be this guy’s enabler!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships