U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 12:31 PM

23,565 posts, read 33,287,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no evidence for any alternate realities. At this point, such notions are merely theories, and there is no proof and no consensus.

So as of today, there is only one reality. And I am not imposing anything. Simply offering evidence and observations. One may accept or reject my arguments based on their own observations and analysis. My recommendation is simply for people to expand their friendships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't think anyone has asked for your recommendation.
Thank you, GiGi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 12:41 PM

7,947 posts, read 7,874,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sombrueil View Post
I agree that everyone needs some social contact. But some people get enough reading books, or keeping a cat.

As many other posters have mentioned, as one ages the fear of others' judgements tends to diminish. If I wanted to eat out at a fancy restaurant alone I surely would, and I guarantee you that I would not think for a moment about what anyone thought about it. I have found that the vast majority of people are too busy obsessing about their own selves to spare much thought for random strangers. And even if they did, who cares? Not me.

I am one of those introverts with little social anxiety. I have given speeches in front of large audiences, I have sung difficult music (opera arias) before hundreds of people, I can mingle at large parties and make clever smalltalk. I simply find it too draining; I pay for it physically, to the extent that it is worth avoiding.
Interesting. Iím like that too. I can function quite well in a group, have a good sense of humor, and no one guesses that I am an introvert and canít wait to leave! But it doesnít drain me physically, because when I finally do leave, Iím so happy!

Old 02-24-2019, 05:28 PM

21,575 posts, read 14,187,164 times
Quote:
I agree that everyone needs some social contact. But some people get enough reading books, or keeping a cat.

As many other posters have mentioned, as one ages the fear of others' judgements tends to diminish. If I wanted to eat out at a fancy restaurant alone I surely would, and I guarantee you that I would not think for a moment about what anyone thought about it. I have found that the vast majority of people are too busy obsessing about their own selves to spare much thought for random strangers. And even if they did, who cares? Not me.

I am one of those introverts with little social anxiety. I have given speeches in front of large audiences, I have sung difficult music (opera arias) before hundreds of people, I can mingle at large parties and make clever smalltalk. I simply find it too draining; I pay for it physically, to the extent that it is worth avoiding.
I just want to point out that keeping a cat and reading books are not social activities.

I also agree that social activities, especially among people you donít know well, can be draining. I also agree that most people donít wast mental effort on stuff like solitary diners in restaraunts.

I have posted before that I test out as a moderate extrovert.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:39 PM

246 posts, read 164,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I just want to point out that keeping a cat and reading books are not social activities.

I also agree that social activities, especially among people you donít know well, can be draining. I also agree that most people donít wast mental effort on stuff like solitary diners in restaraunts.

I have posted before that I test out as a moderate extrovert.
Extroverts, in my experience, typically find introverts unfathomable. They can be sympathetic but it is usually a kind of shallow external sympathy.

I get most of my social fix from animals. If you don't think being with animals is social, you define it far too narrowly. And, ditto books. When you read, you are in fact inside someone else's mind -- what is more social than that?

Old 03-02-2019, 12:05 AM

783 posts, read 210,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The reproductive act that produced every one of us is a SOCIAL ACT IN AND OF ITSELF.
Haha. Fitting. Because I'm childfree and celibate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
YOUR objectivist world view says that there is "only one reality." Other people have different views and believe there are unlimited versions of "reality."
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Why sadness? It could be a situational eating alone thing... When on a business trip, people eat alone sometime.
People should not ďprojectĒ their own emotions on others... It is you, not them...
Not only that, but going out to eat at a restaurant vs getting a takeaway order IS A SOCIAL ACTIVITY. When I go out to eat alone, it's usually because I'm in the mood for some people watching, a friendly chat with the server, etc. That's human interaction.

I do agree that human interaction is, in general, good for us. But I often get my fill simply by going outside where people are. I don't necessarily need to interact with them in the personal sense. Sometimes, even going for a nice drive through a city feels like "human interaction" to me. I guess that's how it is when your general need for it is very low.

Quote:
Totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Are you kidding? My cat, who is now sadly departed from this world, was my best friend of 16 years. He meant everything to me. He was the one I shared everything with and who was by my side through so much. I still visit his grave regularly and it has been years since he passed. My connection to him meant just as much to me as any human in my life if not more.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 PM

9,940 posts, read 6,095,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Guy is completely clueless. I pity the fool who relies on others as a crutch. You can tell which one is the dependant one when you see them out with the group, just happy to be there. I feel sorry for people who are that weak and empty inside.
Hates assumptions being made on him but does it towards others.

Classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships