Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 AM

245 posts, read 152,736 times

Advertisements

That's how I am. I'm polite and nice to others, but I don't really enjoy dealing with people. I stay in touch with my family because it is the right thing to do and it's important to have support, but I don't really miss them when I'm not around them. I'm a loner and I've gone a couple of weeks without talking to anyone else, and I didn't feel lonely or really miss other people at all. I'd say that would be to the far end of the introverted range.

I know extroverts who can't stand being alone and complain about being "lonely" when they are by themselves for any length of time. I guess we're all just wired differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 07:37 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times
I find dealing with people difficult.
I know this is different from what you're asking -- I do enjoy my own company but- to an extent.

Then when I want to be with people, I find it difficult bec. I judge people, and find them wanting.

So I envy you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
That's how I am. I'm polite and nice to others, but I don't really enjoy dealing with people. I stay in touch with my family because it is the right thing to do and it's important to have support, but I don't really miss them when I'm not around them. I'm a loner and I've gone a couple of weeks without talking to anyone else, and I didn't feel lonely or really miss other people at all. I'd say that would be to the far end of the introverted range.

I know extroverts who can't stand being alone and complain about being "lonely" when they are by themselves for any length of time. I guess we're all just wired differently.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:42 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
I do enjoy the company of others but I do not liked being judged,so i avoid them.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:02 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times
As an adult, it seems that spending time with people, solely out of enjoyment, is almost unheard of. People spend time with people as adults to get something out of them: customers, money, etc. So unless there's a clear and specific purpose, people don't seem to connect. Even at church, people seem to want to get together with me either to persuade me to volunteer for a committee or to increase my annual pledge. I have limited patience for that.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:14 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
As an adult, it seems that spending time with people, solely out of enjoyment, is almost unheard of. People spend time with people as adults to get something out of them: customers, money, etc. So unless there's a clear and specific purpose, people don't seem to connect.
This is so sad to read. What a hopeless outlook.

I have “my tribe,” a small group of different people who I adore and have great fun with. They can be annoying at times but so can I.

I’ve lived long enough to have learned that we weren’t put here to do this alone, so I learned how to find those who are worth doing “this” with.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Have been a loner my entire life and of course there are reasons why that happened. For most of my life I chided myself because I wasn't comfortable being social and/or being like others. Finally, in my later years, I've learned to accept who I am, which has resulted in a contentment never before experienced.

It's difficult for me to find common ground with other people. I do have one friend who is very much like me and although we don't spend a lot of time together, we do talk on the phone weekly and never run out of things to say.

We have seniors in my apartment complex that meet regularly in the clubhouse for snacks and chit chat; at times I join in but once I'm there I begin to feel trapped and can't wait to leave. I like meaningful conversations and have tried numerous times to get them started but it always ends up they prefer to talk about their aches and pains, their grandchildren or great grandchildren. It was the same when I was much younger and friends only wanted to talk about their kid's diaper rash, and not having children I would tune them out.

When out and about I'm at ease striking up conversations with complete strangers and I believe it's because I don't feel trapped and can exit stage left asap.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:35 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
I'm becoming a full blown hermit myself. It's not all bad.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:49 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
As an adult, it seems that spending time with people, solely out of enjoyment, is almost unheard of. People spend time with people as adults to get something out of them: customers, money, etc. So unless there's a clear and specific purpose, people don't seem to connect. Even at church, people seem to want to get together with me either to persuade me to volunteer for a committee or to increase my annual pledge. I have limited patience for that.
Reading some of your other posts here - interaction is a two way street.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post

Is there an actual question here?

Old 02-09-2019, 09:15 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
When I was younger, I loved being out and about with people. Now that I'm older, I treasure the time I have to myself outside of work and other obligations. Having to socialize would take that time away from doing what I actually want to do. I'm friendly, but really enjoy my own company more than anyone else I'd spend time with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships