U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2019, 09:02 AM
 
6,314 posts, read 1,239,569 times
Reputation: 16102

Advertisements

Yes, I have disagreed and would do so again -- but never to the point of a "fight" or lawsuit, unless it was a case of actual malpractice.

I have related the following many times on C-D, but we adopted our daughter when she was six (her bio mom was a cocaine addict), and we were told that she was at risk for Reactive Attachment Disorder. She showed unmistakable signs of Oppositional Defiance Disorder (according to all of the many books I read on the subject), and I took her to a therapist. Well, my daughter was intelligent and very manipulative (still is) and charming when she chose to be, and she completely fooled the therapist. After about ten sessions, the therapist basically told me that I was wrong. However, I lived with my daughter '24/7', whereas the therapist saw her for about 45 minutes once a week. Anyway, she agreed to continue to see her, and two weeks later, the therapist finally admitted that she was wrong -- my daughter had finally let down her guard enough so that the therapist could see what I was saying. When we moved to another state about seven years later, the exact same thing happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2019, 10:15 AM
 
3,598 posts, read 1,599,968 times
Reputation: 13451
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, I have disagreed and would do so again -- but never to the point of a "fight" or lawsuit, unless it was a case of actual malpractice.

I have related the following many times on C-D, but we adopted our daughter when she was six (her bio mom was a cocaine addict), and we were told that she was at risk for Reactive Attachment Disorder. She showed unmistakable signs of Oppositional Defiance Disorder (according to all of the many books I read on the subject), and I took her to a therapist. Well, my daughter was intelligent and very manipulative (still is) and charming when she chose to be, and she completely fooled the therapist. After about ten sessions, the therapist basically told me that I was wrong. However, I lived with my daughter '24/7', whereas the therapist saw her for about 45 minutes once a week. Anyway, she agreed to continue to see her, and two weeks later, the therapist finally admitted that she was wrong -- my daughter had finally let down her guard enough so that the therapist could see what I was saying. When we moved to another state about seven years later, the exact same thing happened.
Yes Iíve been through that. Even experts donít agree with each other . I fought with two of my sons doctors who in the end had completely misinterpreted my sons issue or felt the answer was to put him on an extremely powerful medication (he was 9 at the time). Heís an adult now and Iím so glad I stuck by my instincts ,research and need for second opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 10:18 AM
 
Location: planet earth
4,471 posts, read 1,700,565 times
Reputation: 10111
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Have you ever disagreed with a professional (doctor, lawyer, etc.) about something in the professional's (but not your) field of expertise, and kept at it, just you against the professional? If so, why would you do that?

A leader of my homeowner's association decided to pick a fight with me about legal matters, such as interpreting legal documents. I'm a lawyer; he's not.

Well, guess who won that disagreement, after months of battling, and guess who lost that disagreement and incurred a lot of damages? Go figure. (Hint: I won, he lost, and he even lost his role in the association because of it.)

I'm curious as to why someone would pick a fight with a professional in the professional's field of expertise. If I disagree with my doctor, perhaps I'll get a second opinion...from another doctor, but I'm not going to fight with him about his medical opinion. Same for a computer scientist; if I disagree with him or her about some software, I may enlist another computer scientist to battle with him, but I'm not battling him myself because I know very little about software.

Thanks.
This is very interesting.

To answer your question, I think some people take on "professionals" because there are a lot of dumb "professionals" out there who make gross mistakes . . .

To take on a true expert is another matter - I don't know what would drive that (besides the obvious, ego).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 10:31 AM
 
3,598 posts, read 1,599,968 times
Reputation: 13451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yes. I fought for several years with my former country GP when I was ill for 7 years. I suffered from horrible headaches, frequent bruising, and had a weird fatty neck and also a "beer" belly (I'm female). The doctor repeatedly told me I was just fat, even though my health kept deteriorating. I even did some reading on my own and asked him if I might have Cushing's Disease. His response was that I looked like it, but that I was just fat. When I finally got referred to a decent, knowledgeable specialist, it turned out that I had a brain tumor that was causing Cushing's Disease. What a surprise.
My feeling is that if a doctor or other professional is fully competent and secure they will will invite a second opinion. The dismissal of your symptoms as just because your fat is a one ive heard from other women and is part of a pattern of sexism in the medical profession. Women and elders really have to challenge and question professionals when it comes to health and medical services.

Glad you were able to get it resolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Camberville
11,951 posts, read 16,668,051 times
Reputation: 19451
I was 18 when I first asked my doctor if I had Hodgkin's lymphoma. I wasn't taken seriously then, or by the half a dozen other specialists I saw over the next 5 years until I finally got my diagnosis of stage IV Hodgkin's lymphoma. At that point, it had metastasized to my leg bones and spinal column with a tumor the size of a softball putting pressure on my lungs and heart.

Never again will I simply blindly trust medical professionals. My body has unfortunately been a zebra rather than a horse far too many times, and if I had truly pushed, I believe my cancer would have been diagnosed far earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 08:15 AM
 
5,290 posts, read 2,213,445 times
Reputation: 15988
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Have you ever disagreed with a professional (doctor, lawyer, etc.) about something in the professional's (but not your) field of expertise, and kept at it, just you against the professional? If so, why would you do that?

A leader of my homeowner's association decided to pick a fight with me about legal matters, such as interpreting legal documents. I'm a lawyer; he's not.

Well, guess who won that disagreement, after months of battling, and guess who lost that disagreement and incurred a lot of damages? Go figure. (Hint: I won, he lost, and he even lost his role in the association because of it.)

I'm curious as to why someone would pick a fight with a professional in the professional's field of expertise. If I disagree with my doctor, perhaps I'll get a second opinion...from another doctor, but I'm not going to fight with him about his medical opinion. Same for a computer scientist; if I disagree with him or her about some software, I may enlist another computer scientist to battle with him, but I'm not battling him myself because I know very little about software.

Thanks.

I don't know about that. There are times when a doctor or a lawyer isn't very good or is just downright lazy. Just because you have the degree doesn't mean that you are necessarily the end-all, be-all authority.

I had a legal matter, a case of outright intellectual property theft. The first plaintiff's attorney I consulted kind of shrugged and said, "Well, there's not much we can do about it."

So I went to another attorney. He took one look at my case and listened to my recap of my previous conversation. "What? That's crazy. That guy doesn't know what the hell he was talking about." A few letters back and forth, and the other people cried 'Uncle,' and sent me a check.

And then there was the time when I had a serious fever and a host of other symptoms. We had just gotten married and my wife dispatched me to the doctor. Well, the doctor sent me all over the planet for blood tests, gave me prescriptions, you name it. Nothing worked. He had no idea what was wrong and was going to put me in the hospital for tests.

I thought for a second and said, "Before you do that, can you test me for mono?" "Well, I can, but I don't think that's it."

Yep. I had mono.

So, no. I don't necessarily accept everything a doctor or lawyer says as the gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,535 posts, read 10,604,761 times
Reputation: 5613
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Have you ever disagreed with a professional (doctor, lawyer, etc.) about something in the professional's (but not your) field of expertise, and kept at it, just you against the professional? If so, why would you do that?


I'm curious as to why someone would pick a fight with a professional in the professional's field of expertise. If I disagree with my doctor, perhaps I'll get a second opinion...from another doctor, but I'm not going to fight with him about his medical opinion.

Thanks.
I see your point about not getting into an argument, but, to be sure, a lot of so-called "professionals" and so-called "experts" get it wrong, whether because of incompetence or self-interest or downright corruption or whatever reason, hence there are many reasons not to trust them.

Just for example, we encountered a fertility doctor who couldn't diagnose an existing pregnancy.

As you have read by now some 50-55 times, we could all go on with stories about how the so-called professionals and so-called experts got it wrong, even against a so-called amateur's common sense or gut feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 09:40 AM
 
3,821 posts, read 2,693,500 times
Reputation: 7028
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
You're right. They are often wrong.

My point, which I didn't make clearly, is that if you want to pick a fight with a professional, why have the fight just by yourself if you have no or limited experience and knowledge about the professional's field? Doesn't it make sense to just get a second opinion from another professional and enlist that help of the second professional, if you're going to battle the first professional?

For example, if you're going to battle a lawyer, isn't the sensible approach to get your own lawyer to help you, instead of battling the lawyer all by yourself if you have no legal experience?
I'm going pro se next month against an attorney in a civil case where he sued us on behalf of his client. I also filed a counterclaim. Why? Because I was the one who was damaged, not the plaintiff. The plaintiff caused the damages. I did my research throughout the "issue" and collected evidence just in case I got sued. It's small claims court but in our state you can hire an attorney or represent yourself.

I've asked a couple of other attorneys general questions, I have dozens of similar cases printed out, I have talked with our local police, and I've researched extensively the defenses to the original claim, the causes of action for our counterclaim and the elements we need to prove. I've requested a jury trial, have prepared the voir dire questions and I'm currently writing out the questions for each of the witnesses to make sure I can get all my evidence submitted and accepted by the judge.

The legal professional on the other side, however, submitted his complaint with the wrong dates, incorrect address, wrong contract, and incorrect monetary claims. I'm hoping that helps my side a bit, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 12:45 PM
 
4,366 posts, read 1,307,170 times
Reputation: 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
a lot of so-called "professionals" and so-called "experts" get it wrong, whether because of incompetence or self-interest or downright corruption or whatever reason, hence there are many reasons not to trust them.
Yep. Always fact check anything a lawyer tells you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 06:07 PM
 
6,746 posts, read 3,771,840 times
Reputation: 14371
I notice that the consensus of opinion here has gone in favor of not blindly accepting the advice of a professional simply because they have been schooled in that which is in question.

I would also note that the OP has not been heard from in well over a week and through almost half the posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top