Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 02:12 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I live in Boston and have been to many reform and conservative (the latter being my family) Jewish funerals. Head coverings for women would be completely foreign to me.
Grew up in NY, lived in Boston for almost 25 years and now in Denver for 10+ years. Reform, although have attended some Conservative funerals as well. No head coverings for women in any of those locations.

As for giving a cash gift to the deceased's family, I am sure that in some situations, it is very welcome (and sadly necessary). However, I think it would be inappropriate coming from a business connection vs. a family member or close friend. A charitable contribution is better in those circumstances.

They may name a preferred charity in the death notice, otherwise, if there is a cause you are aware the husband/family supported, that would be fine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 05:01 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Unexpected death - heart attack

Business client of husband

Husband wants to be respectful but does not wish to go back to their home after if asked

We are not Jewish.

What is the proper etiquette?

Family not flush with money either - his wife is devastated as she was out of town for another funeral and was not home when he had the attack.
Do you know if there was a go fund me started for them? Lots of people do that these days. If you didn't donate to a charity in his name or send food; I honestly do not think it's out of line to "find out" if she needs help paying for it. You can easily find this out having a conversation with her if you bring it up right. I personally would rather give straight to the funeral home then to send flowers.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:54 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Just meaning family was not prepared for his passing and they were not prepared (financially).

<snip>

No ill will was meant.
Bette, you're one of the nicest posters here on City-Data. Sorry that you were "verbally spanked" by another member. I was able to read between the lines of your post, and I understood your concerns for the widow and her family.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:12 AM

350 posts, read 229,744 times
I'm Jewish and when my best friend's mother passed we went to her graveside service. I did not wear a head covering nor did my husband wear a yarmulke. We offered our condolences to her & the family while there. I also send food to the house.

We did not attend the shiva since my husband had other obligations. If you can't go don't feel guilty that you must.

ETA: This was last winter in NJ. Everyone wore black because most people have black coats and it was freezing out that day! (low teens). When my dad passed in south Florida I wore a conservative pair of pants in a dark shade but not black. None of the women wore head coverings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships