Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:52 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I wouldn't even have my bearings yet from the travelling and then would be time to pack up and leave... lol, no.

It's odd the daughter doesn't see this is not enough time to relax and enjoy a trip like that. OP should not have to make other plans for herself to go somewhere else, if she is not comfortable doing so.

Frankly, my mom would have my azz if I tried to pull something like that.
Exactly, most people wouldn't. Seems to be lost on some. The OP would really only have 2 days in Hawaii.

Why even unpack? Just bring an overnight bag...LOL.

It's a waste of time to have to travel for so many hours on a plane unless you're staying for a week or more.

The daughter doesn't sound very thoughtful at all, she didn't tell her mother that the canceled Hawaii trip was back on, than doesn't mention "we're staying for 11 days, you're coming for 4 days@(which was left out on purpose).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 09:07 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
A: plane travel can be changed. Get your ticket modified for return. MAKE it for a later return
It IS in your name.
B: book a room for the days you'd like to stay.

My son and his wife will be heading over to Europe ...I hinted that I'd meet up with them in Italy. They were thrilled! I'm a big ...fly by the seat of my pants so ..if and when we make the final arrangements...it will be alright with me on whatever we do. We each are on this earth just a brief time...let's make the best of it. Each adult can go against the grain.....or take the grain and make a meal of it ; )

Old 02-19-2019, 09:35 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The only thing that is "sunk" is the daughter's CC because she insisted on paying to get CC points.
The OP gave her daughter cash for the plane ticket.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:32 PM

160 posts, read 432,763 times
Really interesting reading all of your thoughts and suggestions. I think of myself as a very easy going and forgiving person. Truly believe in “I am Right” mentality will only get you a negative and destructive mind set. However, I do not feel comfortable with putting out so much effort and money for such a short trip. In the past I probably would have gone. At this point I just do not have the desire to go. So I will be cancelling this trip.

On a side note. With reading many of these posts stating how lucky I was to be invited at all and take what I can get....left me with such an odd feeling. I understand the vast variables in family relationships. But after raising your kids and putting your whole heart into them...lucky to be invited at all leaves me with such a hollow feeling.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
I think it all boils down to what you WANT to do, and your gut feeling about going or not going.

If your feelings are hurt, but you would still enjoy going, then go.

If your feelings are so hurt that you would not enjoy the trip, then don't go.

In either case, maybe plan another trip where you create the parameters.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:21 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
On a side note. With reading many of these posts stating how lucky I was to be invited at all and take what I can get....left me with such an odd feeling. I understand the vast variables in family relationships. But after raising your kids and putting your whole heart into them...lucky to be invited at all leaves me with such a hollow feeling.
I am close to my daughter. She lives more than an hour away. I see her at least once a month, mostly twice a month. She still sleeps over for holidays and birthdays. Once she marries this whole dynamic will change.

I kind of think vacationing her friends is a better option. With her friends, she'll have company to go out after dinner. I'm not dancing at a disco. I'm putting my pj on and my feet up. In 2017, we went to Rome for a week. It was perfect because her cousin was there with some of her college friends for three out of our seven days there. She got to go out with her cousin & friends while I stayed at the hotel after dinner.

At some point, mothers need to cut the cord.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I am close to my daughter. She lives more than an hour away. I see her at least once a month, mostly twice a month. She still sleeps over for holidays and birthdays. Once she marries this whole dynamic will change.

I kind of think vacationing her friends is a better option. With her friends, she'll have company to go out after dinner. I'm not dancing at a disco. I'm putting my pj on and my feet up. In 2017, we went to Rome for a week. It was perfect because her cousin was there with some of her college friends for three out of our seven days there. She got to go out with her cousin & friends while I stayed at the hotel after dinner.

At some point, mothers need to cut the cord.

I see my daughter less than two weeks a year and have been on one other vacation with her in 10 years. Cut The Cord!? I am very independent and own my own successful business. I am not clingy or desperate.It doesn’t sit well with me that this is what life is like after your children become adults.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:10 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
I see my daughter less than two weeks a year and have been on one other vacation with her in 10 years. Cut The Cord!? I am very independent and own my own successful business. I am not clingy or desperate.It doesn’t sit well with me that this is what life is like after your children become adults.
Ah, I think this is where the trouble crept in; why this is bothering you so much.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:12 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Really interesting reading all of your thoughts and suggestions. I think of myself as a very easy going and forgiving person. Truly believe in “I am Right” mentality will only get you a negative and destructive mind set. However, I do not feel comfortable with putting out so much effort and money for such a short trip. In the past I probably would have gone. At this point I just do not have the desire to go. So I will be cancelling this trip.

I agree, it seems odd to me too.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Ah, I think this is where the trouble crept in; why this is bothering you so much.
I am so baffled with this question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships