U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 04:37 AM

6,061 posts, read 2,789,135 times

Advertisements

Having a Good Sense of Judgment is Key to survival. Otherwise it would be a life of Gee follow the monkey. (Monkey see, monkey do). Most have the decency to be inquisitive towards others and from that form a final Good sense of Judgment about interaction or giving Space.

I work in the public sector and can say without a doubt my sense of judgment can be skewed at time. Been duped many a time ...so pardon if my good natured skepticism comes into play around when someone is feeding me a line.

I recall an interaction with a Person who delighted in dressing in drag....the Over the top Persona ...the enamored inquiries by this person ...took me off guard. Was I judgmental...sure! I really didn't care for this persons' " You HAVE to accept me! Because the Govt has laws on "anything Goes". In Which I replied....Indeed, you just reminded me..I must Go. Back to my humble abode ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 05:32 AM

134 posts, read 44,024 times
OP. Yes.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:11 AM

26,811 posts, read 5,726,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
The only way I judge people is in how they treat others and how they treat animals, kids, elders etc.

I won't judge you for having different life choices or values than my own but I WILL judge you for mistreating those weaker than you (kids/animals/elderly). It will not be a flattering judgment.

My company does lunch interviews and we interviewed this candidate for a managerial role with part of it at a restaurant--one of the nicer ones in the area. This candidate was perfectly courteous to all of us (upper management) but was rude and condescending to the table bussers, hostess, and wait staff. When we got back to the shop and I put him in the conference room, I realized I had forgotten my interview papers and walked back to my office. The receptionist stopped me and told me that the candidate had been very rude to her. I had no interest in hiring him at this point anyhow after seeing his behavior in the restaurant and it was upsetting to hear that he had been rude to the receptionist. I went back to the candidate, thanked him for his time and told him we'd be in touch. The hiring manager wants to bring this guy on but no way, I'm not letting that happen. There are plenty of other good candidates out there who aren't total a-holes to those who they see as somehow 'beneath' them.

Me too, MJ.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:39 AM

520 posts, read 243,071 times
I tend to have strong opinions about some things and sometimes wonder---where do you draw the line between having an opinion vs. being judgemental.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I tend to have strong opinions about some things and sometimes wonder---where do you draw the line between having an opinion vs. being judgemental.

An opinion is just that...your view.

Being negatively judgemental is an opinion gone awry in some instances. IMO, it is being extremely snide/critical of another and/or their actions without consideration of background, circumstances, whether or not the person has regrets, etc. Also seems to involve a degree of self-righteousness, jealousy, desire to hurt others and bitterness at times.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:59 AM

1,280 posts, read 426,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Do you find yourself being self-righteous?
Negatively judging others regarding their past, their status, their decisions?

How would you describe yourself?
Do you have an excessively critical view of others?

Yes, yes and yes. It's a big character flaw of mine. I've gotten better about it, but I have a long road ahead.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 AM

1,918 posts, read 339,402 times
I have found myself drawing negative conclusions about people based on a single encounter with them, only to find out later that I was FLAT OUT WRONG.

I'm trying so hard to suspend judgment now - and grateful to those who do the same with me.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:19 AM

43,408 posts, read 52,393,689 times
I find it pointless to judge anyone I don't intend to spend a lot of time with.

I do get more and more scrutinizing with people as they appear closer and closer within my "circle of trust." That's when it matters, right?

As for first impressions, I have very rarely been proven wrong. Decades of people watching, psychological research/contemplation, and the job I have. Makes it really easy to spot trouble.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I have found myself drawing negative conclusions about people based on a single encounter with them, only to find out later that I was FLAT OUT WRONG.

I'm trying so hard to suspend judgment now - and grateful to those who do the same with me.

Absolutely! My goal as well...suspend judgements. Someone got my thread!!

Old 02-23-2019, 10:53 AM

2,992 posts, read 1,994,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Just wondering how much insight you have...

1. Do you find yourself being self-righteous?
2. Negatively judging others regarding their past, their status, their decisions?

3. How would you describe yourself?
4. Do you have an excessively critical view of others?

5. Or do you live and let live?
1. Why, yes!
2. Of course!
3. A true pain in the (fill-in-the-blank body part).
4. You bet!
5. Nah.

It's all part of my unique charm. You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or