Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:53 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times

Advertisements

Sometimes the question is "even though this person annoys the heck out of me, does this relationship spark joy for someone I love?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 01:35 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
^^ That is a very good thing to consider! Thanks for putting that out there. Sometimes we have to accept or maybe just temporarily tolerate people we may not like very much if they are important to someone we do like very much or love. My family is having to do this right now, actually! So your post hit home with me.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:48 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
...Cut out toxic people, don't bother with relationships that aren't feeding your soul, etc.
Probably a good idea to stop and check whether we're giving folks the hatchet because they don't feed our "souls" or because they don't feed our egos.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:22 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Probably a good idea to stop and check whether we're giving folks the hatchet because they don't feed our "souls" or because they don't feed our egos.
The entire philosophy is about removing ego from the decisions, and not thinking about it at all. It’s very Zen, like meditation.... be in the moment with the object, see it, feel it, take note of feelings it brings up. Use that to decide if it’s worth keeping, not thought or logic. It’s the opposite of making decisions based on ego.

Her "method" of household organization is about changing the focus from "what do you want to throw out" to "what do you want to keep?", and she uses what feelings the object brings up to determine if it's important to keep. As an example, I have several things from my grandmother's house. I am planning on getting rid of a lot this spring. One item is a charcoal painting of my grandmother's mother and father. It has been in the house as long as I can remember. Another item is a plastic cup I took from her house, that I used to use all the time when I was a kid.

If I use the Marie Kondo method, I will feel nothing from looking at or holding the painting. When I hold the cup though and close my eyes and really "listen" to the feelings, I can see myself sitting in her sunny kitchen while she cooks, smell the hay outside. The cup sparks joy, while the painting does not. Using the Marie Kondo method, I would toss the painting and keep the cup. This does not mean I am going to be in some ecstatic state whenever I drink from the cup, and she never implies such a silly thing.

It was never meant for people, but really most seem to be making too much of it regardless and seem determined to mock it vs understand it. It's as good a method of deciding what to keep and what to toss as any other.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 02-28-2019 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 03:49 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Yes, if something does not bring you joy then why is it in your life?
Because there is a more extensive criterion and broader scope of people who can be in one's life than just those who spark joy. Sparking joy is way too narrow.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-28-2019 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 10:42 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink6 View Post
My underwear sparks joy.
Mine doesn't. So I quit wearing it.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
i marie kondo'd my place and forgot where i put half my things. This situation does not bring me joy.
Snorts coffee. LOL. Hilarious!

Old 03-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Absolutely. There are people who are the destroyers of happiness wherever they go. Get them out of your life.

However, one enormous caveat. That does not give you license to abandon friends who are going through a rough patch in their lives. You have a duty to have the back of those in life who have had yours. Because friendship isn't just about fun, you know.
Exactly. No one is condoning getting rid of friends or family going through a hard time.
I think it's a good general principle, with limitations. Material goods or people.

Do I feel good or awful after spending time with them?

Old 03-01-2019, 11:00 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
I'm curious about what these people "who are destroyers of happiness wherever they go" and who one should "get them out of your life" do that causes unhappiness or destroys happiness.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 AM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm curious about what these people "who are destroyers of happiness wherever they go" and who one should "get them out of your life" do that causes unhappiness or destroys happiness.
It’s probablt different in each person. I had an ex-bf who fit the description. He was angry at the world and every little thing set him off from a toddler in a restaurant to friends picking a restaurant where he doesn’t like the chairs, and he would have tantrums and ruin it for everyone. I spent my time walking on eggshells and trying to manage the environment so he wasn’t triggered. I stayed 3 years which was 2 years 9 months too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships