Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 12:17 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times

Advertisements

Really can't stand Marie Kondo and her catch phrase "spark joy." All she has is a cute face and a catchy phrase. People have been using her methods for years, long before she showed up. Basically keep the things you like and throw away (i.e. recycle, donate!) the things you dislike. I've seen before-and-after pictures of her tidying up kitchens, and a lot is just Putting Things Away and hiding clutter behind cupboards and closets. Duh.

Anyway, to answer OP's question, you'll have to find out how meaningful those people are in your life. No one is perfect, and while they may "spark joy" in your life right now, what will you think of them when they offend or hurt you, which is inevitable? Are you going to stick through it or cut them out of your life? Well, if you cut them out of your life, then you'll end up with no one. So figure out how important someone is to you. Family? A childhood friend? Keep them if they mean something to you and tolerate the times when they suck. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 12:40 PM

325 posts, read 207,427 times
I tried watching Marie Kondo's show.......she annoyed the heck out of me and I had to turn it off.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:50 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Thanks JrzD....your post made me google Marie Kondo and read a bit about her.

Since I need decluttering, I think that key question "Does it bring joy?" can well apply to not only decluttering, but people, jobs etc. as well.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:32 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks JrzD....your post made me google Marie Kondo and read a bit about her.

Since I need decluttering, I think that key question "Does it bring joy?" can well apply to not only decluttering, but people, jobs etc. as well.
Well, I mostly applied it to my wardrobe, and that worked great. Want to do the rest of the house, but the truth is, beyond my books and clothes, I don't have a lot of material possessions beyond the furniture I sit on.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:01 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Who the heck is Marie Kondo and what is she on about "sparking joy"?

I did see that phrase used. ONCE. In an episode of Disjointed. Kathy Bates is reading yet another self help book (this is a running joke through the series). She takes something out of the drawer and says "You no longer spark joy. Thank you for your service" and then drops it ("it" being a decidedly undersized rubber sculpture-of-a-certain-part-of-the-male-anatomy) into the trash bin.

Other than that, I've never heard of this woman, and don't care what she has to say about anything, especially not about how I should view my personal possessions. I've got a spine, and I use it.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:03 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
My post number 34 explains her method. I’m not sure what having a spine has to do with decluttering, though. I have a spine but still struggle with getting rid of things.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My post number 34 explains her method. I’m not sure what having a spine has to do with decluttering, though. I have a spine but still struggle with getting rid of things.
"I have a spine" and do not require someone ELSE to tell me how to do my job, whether that job is raising a child or decluttering (or not) my home. I also do not need someone else telling me what I should and should not value. Such as a decluttered home.

My "things" do not control me. It's fine if other people need to be told what seems to me to be glaringly obvious, and WANT to be told what to do. But I'm not among them.

That said, I've got my own characteristics that other people think are "problems" that they think could be "solved" by the "glaringly obvious", but those are things I don't care about, so I don't care about their opinions, either, LOL! If *I* thought it was a problem, I'd solve it. Since I don't, well, I DON'T.

I really think this kind of "self help" is close to nonsense. I don't need to ask an object if it sparks joy in me, *I* spark joy in me. My SON sparks joy in me. I love my Bosch mixer, but it doesn't spark joy in me. It's a tool that I use. If I don't use it, the best it can hope for is to end up back in the box in storage somewhere until I either find someone to give it to or just throw it out.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:46 PM

325 posts, read 207,427 times
Quote:

The poster is simply saying they are responsible enough to think for themselves and make decisions regarding the care of themselves and their home. They don't need advice from people like Kondo. They were stating their opinion. Something everyone is free to do here.

I agree.

I also dislike how this website will not let you undo a "rate this post positively" when you accidentally do it.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:02 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
The poster is simply saying they are responsible enough to think for themselves and make decisions regarding the care of themselves and their home. They don't need advice from people like Kondo. They were stating their opinion. Something everyone is free to do here.

I agree.

I also dislike how this website will not let you undo a "rate this post positively" when you accidentally do it.
That’s a ridiculous attitude. Why have any profession that gives advice then? Why have interior decorators or any other professional service? It’s a bit nuts to equate needing organization help with having it not having a spine. How silly. People just love having something to hate.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
That’s a ridiculous attitude. Why have any profession that gives advice then? Why have interior decorators or any other professional service? It’s a bit nuts to equate needing organization help with having it not having a spine. How silly. People just love having something to hate.
As I said - I have a spine. Not only do I have a spine, I also have a brain. I don't need interior decorators. I don't WANT interior decorators. *I* decide what the inside of my house will look like, and I can guarantee you it won't involve any grey anywhere.

Yes, people DO love having something to hate, don't they? Such as insisting that people need interior decorators and talking heads to tell them what they should do with their "stuff".

In any case you will not catch me running around the house picking stuff up and asking it if it sparks joy in me. Joy is only "sparked" by other people. Never by things. If you have people in your life to love and honor and who love and honor you, joy is possible. Things can never "spark joy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships