U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 06:03 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,483,994 times

Advertisements

The title says it all? What does being vulnerable mean/ look like to you? Bonus question: How vulnerable are you (and why)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 07:20 PM

43,417 posts, read 41,942,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
The title says it all? What does being vulnerable mean/ look like to you? Bonus question: How vulnerable are you (and why)?
IMHO it means you are comfortable being yourself around people without fear of judgment.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:39 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,008,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
IMHO it means you are comfortable being yourself around people without fear of judgment.
That is the OPPOSITE of vulnerability. If you are vulnerable, you are at risk. Vulnerability may also including being UNcomfortable with yourself and HAVING a fear of being judged. Doesn't have to, but it would be more likely than the other way around.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:32 PM

21,934 posts, read 14,414,141 times
A person who feels vulnerable will exhibit feelings of insecurity and unease.

Being vulnerable means being easy prey to some sort of predator or not having sound judgement in decision making.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:08 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,483,994 times
Hmm, it’s interesting how all three responses to this point vary so widely. Would it be accurate to say that to be vulnerable is to eschew self-protective behaviors? By doing so, you open yourself up to wonderful experiences that you might not have otherwise experienced, but also close yourself to potential pain and/discomfort?

For example, asking someone out, or trying a new dish. The opposite of vulnerability would be to stick with what is safe (the known). Vulnerability would mean I might experience a wonderful relationship (orfind a life partner). On the other hand, I might expose myself to a closet narcissist or have an allergic reaction.

Is that too simplistic? And if it isn’t, how do you avoid being preyed upon, like Silibran suggested?

Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 PM

4,852 posts, read 1,853,019 times
Means you are blubbering . . . (saying that half-way sarcastically, but it really does have to do with crying, in my mind).

Old 03-02-2019, 02:44 AM

43,417 posts, read 41,942,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
That is the OPPOSITE of vulnerability. If you are vulnerable, you are at risk. Vulnerability may also including being UNcomfortable with yourself and HAVING a fear of being judged.
You are at risk when vulnerable, but what you’re describing is insecurity, which is not the same thing.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:40 AM

5,188 posts, read 3,513,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
A person who feels vulnerable will exhibit feelings of insecurity and unease.

Being vulnerable means being easy prey to some sort of predator or not having sound judgement in decision making.

Yep, and the sharks can sense it readily, by your body language, and timidity, and they are ready to pounce.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:51 AM

21,934 posts, read 14,414,141 times
Being emotionally vulnerable is a relatively new way of describing being able to admit one’s shortcomings and deal with trauma. It was not clear from the OP how they meant the word to be defined.

I defined it the “original” way that I first understood it,

For some people, I suppose, being emotionally vulnerable is some sort of positive attribute. I think it might be a step toward acceptance or taking responsibility for an action. We would, for instance, be vulnerable when begging for forgivenesses.

But basically, in most cases being vulnerable is not a pleasant state of mind.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:37 AM

14,423 posts, read 7,937,494 times
What does being mean look like? You have to be a rectum with highly charged negative emotions and a willingness to emotionally and or physically hurt someone without conscience to be labeled mean in my universe. What does vulnerable look like. Well I saw it with our friend that is transitioning from male to female. She was worried about how we would respond about it and the email she sent us before our visit last Sunday was a lot to process. However, we told her that you are who you are on the inside, not the outside. I gave her a hug and told her that it made me sad that she suffered so long in silence all these years. I told her that reproduction is not a perfect process and creates many anomalies. I also told her that I was worried about her given this current political climate. Am I vulnerable? It pales in comparison to what our friend and her wife are going through. Being born different is never easy and some people who are mean and never outgrew their playground bully mentality prove it every day.

Rectums are emotionally stunted sometimes emotionally bankrupt people. It's unfortunate that the only way they feel better is to hurt someone else. It's a sick way to process hate.

Vulnerability? That's the easiest to control, unless you were born outside of societal norms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or