Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 12:42 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I really don't understand.

This is the reason. Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 01:27 PM

938 posts, read 446,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I'm constantly interrupted at work, and even weekends are spent running around. So I have few uninterrupted blocks of time.

So if I have a long flight, it's heaven, because it's uninterrupted time when I can actually read a book, do something else productive or just think. I usually put on headphones and that fends off talkers, but on a 3-hour flight one year, I recall being so thrilled because I could then read a book that I had been meaning to read...but the guy next to me started talking and wouldn't take a hint; I didn't want to be rude. So I was talked at for 3 hours. I didn't get to do what I wanted to do. I wanted to scream.

A nice comment when standing in line for ice cream is fine and I like that as long as it doesn't delay my day (don't turn it into a long conversation or keep me there).

Please also note that introverts generally despise small talk. I do. It's not productive time for me and I'm not good at thinking on the go--when acquaintances at the gym, for example, make small talk as we're coming and going, I end up with my foot in my mouth about 75% of the time.
You should learn to tell people "Don't take it personal, but I don't like talking to strangers. Please leave me alone." Or you could just give off an "I don't like people" vibe ... People will get the hint. I have a neighbor like this.
People will be more than happy to leave you alone.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:34 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
You should learn to tell people "Don't take it personal, but I don't like talking to strangers. Please leave me alone." Or you could just give off an "I don't like people" vibe ... People will get the hint. I have a neighbor like this.
Lovely--I think I'll decline to take that advice, thanks. It's good to come across as likeable and better to just deal with too much interest from people.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:35 PM

From reading this forum and from my own personal experiences, it seems that many 'introverts' are angry misanthropes who feel superior to and try to hide who they really are from others.

Last edited by Indiana Tony; 03-03-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Lovely--I think I'll decline to take that advice, thanks. It's good to come across as likeable and better to just deal with too much interest from people.
OK. Keep allowing others to make you miserable.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:03 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I've seen both extremes in the Hospital waiting room...

Some days it is as quiet as a morgue... poor choice of words so I will substitute Library...

Other days it is festive depending only on the mix of people present...

I much prefer the festive days.

I guess it comes down to some just have the gift to connect.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:15 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
From reading this forum and from my own personal experiences, it seems that many 'introverts' are angry misanthropes who feel superior to and try to hide who they really are from others.
Introverts simply don't have a need to say everything that's on their minds, or say things that don't need to be said. Babbling uses up energy that can be better spent on other things.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:27 PM

356 posts, read 175,885 times
Quote:
I agree 100%. Even in a few hours of looking around, I find it clear that these relationship forums are full of people that just plain don't like people and/or can't handle normal social interaction. Funny. Except not.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:43 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I'm not good at it, so it feels uncomfortale.

it doesn't make me a quiet, miserable person. I am actually very happy and friendly, just socially feel I don't have that charisma others do.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:27 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Well, because why would I interrupt what I'm doing to talk to someone I don't even know and try to come up with interesting things to talk about? I would not want to tell my life story to a stranger... none of their business at best, could be some sort of scammer at worst.

When I am out and about, I'm probably on my way to somewhere, or in the middle of doing something, or simply lost in my own thoughts (or, may be trying to remember something for later). So, no, I usually do not want to be interrupted to talk about the length of my hair, or to have to tell someone I don't work at the place, or do a fake-laugh at whatever cutesy thing some older guy wants to say to me, or whatever. If I'm somewhere I know I'll be waiting a long time, I am probably reading a book or the news on my phone, and also do not want to be interrupted. At those times, the only time I want someone to talk to me is to say things like "excuse me, your shoelaces are on fire" or "excuse me, but Godzilla just came in and you might want to hide" or "excuse me, you're standing in the street and there's a bus coming", or "excuse me, Harrison Ford is over there looking lonely."

If I want to talk, you'll know-- usually that's when I'm looking around, obviously interested in a person or people, or someone else's conversation. This happens rarely, though. If I'm looking at things in a store or other place, or walking, or standing looking blank, or reading-- I'm probably not interested.

Some people are gregarious and enjoy talking to strangers. I have trouble making small talk even with people I know, don't need the stress of doing so with people I don't know and never will.

I find it interesting that "extroverts" like to decide that people who aren't like them must have something wrong with them... I never see the opposite. Which gives me an idea about who are *really* the ones with problems.

Quote:
It's harder to learn than you think. Usually you have to start out with an appearance that is either intimidating, or at the least, not-welcoming in some manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships