Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:01 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

I love talking to strangers! I love hearing about their place of origin. I love hearing stories about their lives. I love finding similarities where I wouldn't expect one while taking to strangers. Honestly, it is one of my favorite things to do...talk with stranger. That is why I post here.

Personally, I think I am good at taking a hint when people don't want to chat. And I get it. Some times it isn't the right time. But reading on here I see so many posts about being annoyed when strangers try to chat. Honestly, I don't fully understand it. Ok...if they are saying weird things or stopping you from your plans. Or if they are trying to talk politics or religion. Occasionally the person is mentally ill (I still don't mind chatting with them).

So if you are a person who hates when strangers try to strike up a convo...be it in line for ice cream, on a long flight or...what ever. Tell me what you don't like about it? I really don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I love talking to strangers! I love hearing about their place of origin. I love hearing stories about their lives. I love finding similarities where I wouldn't expect one while taking to strangers. Honestly, it is one of my favorite things to do...talk with stranger. That is why I post here.

Personally, I think I am good at taking a hint when people don't want to chat. And I get it. Some times it isn't the right time. But reading on here I see so many posts about being annoyed when strangers try to chat. Honestly, I don't fully understand it. Ok...if they are saying weird things or stopping you from your plans. Or if they are trying to talk politics or religion. Occasionally the person is mentally ill (I still don't mind chatting with them).

So if you are a person who hates when strangers try to strike up a convo...be it in line for ice cream, on a long flight or...what ever. Tell me what you don't like about it? I really don't understand.
Usually that idle time when I'm waiting is the only truly "down" time I have, a time when I can relax for a moment, and I don't want to feel like I have to be "on" in having a conversation with someone I don't know.

Carrying on a conversation with someone on a plane or in a long waiting line like the DMV can make me feel trapped.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:35 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
Not everyone likes it, nothing wrong with that and not something I find difficult to understand. There have been times I have enjoyed it and other times not at all. On a plane I don't want to have a convo with anyone because I want to get my nose stuck in a book or put my earphones on and listen to music. Another couple of times I was dealing with extreme pain, or grief and I just wasn't in the mood for chit chat. I enjoy conversation and get plenty with a large circle of friends, I enjoy being friendly with a smile and how are you, or a quick chat ( like the time on a trail and the other hiker was sharing his knowledge of the plants on the trail), but I don't seem to have a compelling need to share my personal life stories with a stranger.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
It does not matter. If someone does not want to talk to strangers, there is no law or rule that says they have to.

And this cuts both ways. There is no reason NOT to talk to strangers either.

I think this is a live and let live situation myself.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 4,194,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It does not matter. If someone does not want to talk to strangers, there is no law or rule that says they have to.

And this cuts both ways. There is no reason NOT to talk to strangers either.

I think this is a live and let live situation myself.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:55 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Very situation-dependent for me. I could be sitting on a plane, waiting area, or standing in some line for a dozen reasons...some make chatting a real effort. Others make it a pleasure. I'm not a super social person in general. Tend to be an observer, somewhat shy and quiet, but not actively shutting anyone else down. I don't usually start a conversation but can join one fairly easily. It also depends on the other person. They could be really off-putting, look angry or tired, not meeting your eyes or even looking at you. Or they could be hoping for an entry to engage.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:37 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
I just don’t find people all that interesting and usually I’m proven right when they talk.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:49 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I talk with strangers all the time. Not usually long conversations, and not about their lives, but have some brief exchanges. Including politics. Someone recently started talking to me, and I ended up getting a recommendation for a hotel that I desperately needed.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:51 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,230 times
"I really don't understand."
me neither.
carry on.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:55 PM

999 posts, read 553,474 times
I like talking to strangers if there's something interesting to comment on or discuss.

What I have no interest in is "small talk". I find it boring and awkward, and I refuse to do it.

Edit, wanted to add that there are times I really don't have the energy to talk to anyone at all. Stranger or not. I'd say I feel that way the majority of the time. I'm super introverted and get easily drained by social interaction. So unless something super interesting is happening (like us all witnessing an event out in public, for example), most of the time, I just avoid people. OP sounds like an extrovert, and extroverts will never understand what it's like to be introverted.

On a great day when I'm feeling super high energy, I can talk with strangers. But the conversation MUST move from "small talk" to something interesting very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships