U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:14 AM

914 posts, read 292,389 times

Advertisements

I went to my 10 year - and still held grudges from high school. I'm ultimately glad I went, but probably shouldn't have bothered.

I went to my 20 year - and didn't care a bit about what did or did not happen in high school. Had a blast! But truthfully only hung out with the people I already hang out with.

I also went to the husband's 20 year reunion. Boring. Never again. (the husband is not now, nor has he ever been, a social person)

I'm not sure I'd bother going to my own again. $100 for two tickets to hang out with the same people seems a bit excessive. And a 30 year reunion is just around the corner.... (maybe I'll split the difference and leave the husband at home - he'd probably appreciate that)

All that being said, is it worth $50 to you? Will you regret not going? I think I'd suggest that you go, especially since you've been looking forward to it! (and you can always leave early)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 02:59 AM

10,489 posts, read 8,696,094 times
My graduating class in secondary school was composed of 32 graduates and probably 10 or so who left or were expelled. The only reunion I have attended was our 50th. The organizers went to great lengths to be inclusive, coaxing all of us to come. In the end, 26 showed up. We all had changed in many ways, but the event took us back and we traded old days and new as if we were still 18. The close connection was still there.

I suggest you go and be curious and open. There is a lot to gain and nothing to lose.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:39 AM

17,631 posts, read 11,084,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi yall,
I have a bit of scenario I would like yalls input on.My 10 year reunion is coming up this summer.Im debating on whether or not I should go.I was part of a class of hundreds and I think only 12 people or so are signed up to come with quite a few more interested in goin.I wont like the food they are serving at the venue.Its also 50 bucks to come.Most of the people i dont know or dont remember but I still think I would prolly enjoy talking to them but I think it lasts 6 hours.Not very many of friends are going so thats not appealing so idk what I should do.My dad weighed in his opinion and he doesnt think I should miss it and Ive been looking forward to it since I graduated.What do yall think?

I graduated in 63 and have never been back to one reunion. I thought about going about 20 years ago, but changed my mind. While some people were in love with their High School experience, I was not. I wasn't one of the jocks or in one of the cliques, I just got through it. I was not a great student, and somewhat rebellious, so I probably did not have a great reputation at the time.

Even the people I was close to have changed so much that I prefer to remember them the way they were back then, not how they are now. I know some people go to reunions and have a blast, but I think some things are best left in the past, and not dug up again.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:51 AM

1,177 posts, read 498,686 times
what are you looking to get out of it? are you trying to make life long friends? if you're just wanting to know what happened to so and so, just go on facebook and look at their facebook postings. it seems pretty superficial to just go talk to people for a few hours to know what they've been up to the last ten years, then afterwards not talk to them again until maybe the 20th reunion.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:29 AM

5,424 posts, read 2,894,002 times
Quote:
... Ive been looking forward to it since I graduated.
^ There is your answer. Sounds like you should go.

I have never had an interest to go to one. You sound like you do, so go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
While some people were in love with their High School experience, I was not.
I did what was expected. I was a good student. Just never felt like I fit in with the petty stuff, girl talk/gossip and such. I was happy to graduate and get out of there.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:53 AM

5,348 posts, read 2,238,576 times
Quote:
Hi yall,
I have a bit of scenario I would like yalls input on.My 10 year reunion is coming up this summer.Im debating on whether or not I should go.I was part of a class of hundreds and I think only 12 people or so are signed up to come with quite a few more interested in goin.I wont like the food they are serving at the venue.Its also 50 bucks to come.Most of the people i dont know or dont remember but I still think I would prolly enjoy talking to them but I think it lasts 6 hours.Not very many of friends are going so thats not appealing so idk what I should do.My dad weighed in his opinion and he doesnt think I should miss it and Ive been looking forward to it since I graduated.What do yall think?

Please go. You'll be surprised by the dynamic. People like to say, "High School Sucks" (Which it does by the way). But they completely and utterly miss the fact that the cheerleader, the football player, the nerd, and everybody else had to endure the same soul-crushing experience. So it's kind of unfair to judge people by who they were at fourteen or seventeen. You don't know what was going on in their homes, you don't know what was going on in this confusing four-year period of their lives.

Yeah, there will still be some jerks, but these are typically the ones with the most profound wounds. But there will be a lot of people who will surprise you. When I was in high school, there was a football player with whom I always had a class. I assumed he was dumb as a brick. I got to know him later in life and he turned out to be one of the kindest, most hilarious people I know. I also didn't know at the time that he lost his mother to cancer at age thirteen and moved to a city where he knew no one. That girl I thought was a stuck-up cheerleader? Her stepfather was sexually abusing her, so she was dealing with some serious trauma in her life, trauma that she was too ashamed to share with anyone. That girl I knew who ran with the popular crowd? As it turns out, she's now an amazing wildlife artist. Her socialite mother pushed her to run in those circles and her parents refused to pay for art lessons. So she had to pick it up later in life.

In other words, people don't go to their high school reunions because they subscribe to lazy stereotypes of others. They don't see those classmates as living, breathing people with their own problems and gifts that were hidden from view at the time, dwelling in a system where gifts were typically suppressed because they never fit within the nice neat lines of the rubric. They've allowed the bitterness of their high school experience to poison their lives, never considering for a moment that it affected everyone in ways large and small. They've succumbed to the notion that those other people don't have their own humanity. They refuse to believe that these people might ultimately blossom in the most amazing ways.

The dirty little secret of education? Despite all its high-minded palaver, our schools do not currently exist to teach understanding of the world, creativity or critical thinking. The sad truth of the matter is that how we educate our children is a mind-numbing process designed to dehumanize its charges. The entire process, while not articulated in so many words, is set up to take the pristine soul of a five-year-old and slowly grind it to powder, so that it spits out at a docile little lawyer, soldier, factory worker, or middle-level manager on the other end. They might as well be training horses.

So when you attend your class reunion, think of them less as classmates and more as fellow survivors. Once you see them as such, you'll be surprised at how much importance it takes on to bond with them through experience. And, ultimately, to be part of the lifelong mission of healing one another's souls.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 03-03-2019 at 08:16 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 11:28 AM

13,780 posts, read 18,685,586 times
Well go if you want too but I went once and must say I would never go again . The reason being is because I realized those 17 yr olds that were bullies and cheerleaders and football players were still the same selfish people they had always been . There was one of the football players that stood out the most . He has been married and divorced umpteen time I think last count was 4 , kids who hate him (he said this not us ) and cant get a decent job . We all knew somehow he would end up like this . So I vowed right then and there to never go to another one . Yes know right now some people never grow up and get that far from high school . It is a fact and im sure some of these posters know what I am saying is the truth .

Old 03-03-2019, 11:40 AM

10,366 posts, read 8,361,533 times
As I've written previously, my high school reunions got better as the years passed. I can't recall anything memorable about the tenth year reunion - the banquet was forgettable, the picnic got rained out and we wound up in the club room of a classmate's apartment complex - which was actually better, as we could move around and talk informally. The twentieth reunion was much, much better - most people had figured out who they were and were interesting and improved versions of their former selves. Ditto for the thirtieth - it included much more laid-back classmates who had laid aside high school snobbery and silliness, many whose lives had gone in unexpected directions, and lots with late-blooming interests and talents that had sprouted and were flourishing.

Our last - and final, sadly -reunion was the fiftieth. It was bittersweet for me, knowing that there would be no more (unless other classmates take up the reins of the long-lived, dedicated reunion committee). As with previous reunions, the Friday night meet and greet was more informal and more fun than the reunion dinner, but the cool thing about all the later reunions was that long-unseen classmates returned, and were so interesting to meet up with again.

Soo - go to your tenth reunion if you want to, and have a good time. But know that later reunions are likely to be the really good ones. So you have a lot to anticipate!

Old 03-03-2019, 12:20 PM

15,038 posts, read 8,396,222 times
I skipped my 5th because I was still too unsettled out of college but by the 10th I felt I was in a good place. Enough time had passed since H.S. so some of the pettiness had softened and, having been unpopular in H.S. I had gotten a good education, a good job and was married.

It was fine...but that's the only one I've been back for...tiny town...and everyone who's left the town doesn't come back for reunions...and I'm over it now.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 PM

1,879 posts, read 633,632 times
I've enjoyed mine so far (Class of 1971). HS was not the best time in my life; I was studious and got good grades but even that made me a bit of an outsider. We had to wear ugly uniforms and I was only average-looking to begin with. For the first 3 years the boys and the girls were in separate classes, getting together only at lunch and events outside school hours. I didn't know how to flirt. Still don't.

I had a great time at the 40th and 45th anniversaries- it was like meeting new friends with whom I strangely had a lot in common. I got to know people I hadn't really talked to in HS because we weren't in the same classes. I had a great time and realized how many genuinely nice people were in my class. Of course it's self-selecting- the people who feel bad about where they are in life were less likely to attend- but not everyone who attended was a rock star. The class goof-off is now "DOCTOR Goof-Off" with a Ph.D in Nutritional Biochemistry, hasn't shown up yet.

Having said that- I'm not sure if I'll attend the 50th. Maybe it's the current political climate but some of the ones on FB are downright inflexible. I actually agree with them on many points but their knee-jerk reaction is to repost anything that fits with their worldview without fact-checking and they refuse to consider opposing points of view. I don't think they like it when I point out a factual error or an inconsistency in their thinking. (I'm very tactful and I'll do that even if they are posting something in support of a view I agree with.)

I have a few years to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or