Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 02:09 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,073,954 times

Advertisements

I was invited to my 10 year reunion but didn't go. I didn't feel like paying for airfare or driving 11 hours each way just to hang out with people I was never all that close to. Nothing personal against them; I along with my social circles completely changed after high school.

But hey, if you're curious, and it's not too far out of your way too attend, go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 01:09 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,413,117 times
Definitely go! Mine was a blast that I least expected. Of course they will judge you on your appearance so look your best! Your generation is different than mine so I suspect what people are doing for employment won't be much.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:51 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,334,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Definitely go! Mine was a blast that I least expected. Of course they will judge you on your appearance so look your best!
Wouldn't that be a reason to not attend though? Who wants to be judged on how they look? People have aged since high school, gained weight, lost hair. Nobody wants to attend a reunion and just be judged for how they look.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:36 AM

18,196 posts, read 25,763,135 times
[quote=PriscillaVanilla;54625339 Nobody wants to attend a reunion and just be judged for how they look.[/quote]

Agreed. Most people change a lot over a couple decades, with the exception of a guy who's 6'7"-that would be me. At a reunion that particular stat sticks out! I went to my ten, twenty and thirty year reunions. They got a little bit more humble as the years went by. The area I lived in my younger years had a great economy and that was evident in the amount of people who were somewhat full of themselves passing out business cards and bragging how great they were doing. At the twenty that scenario completely flipped as we were into a long recession (late 1980's). Ditto ten years after that.

It was interesting to compare notes at the ten year and somewhat depressing at the same time, particularly when the subject of the Vietnam War came up. Two of my friends were killed, one of them still missing. At the twenty year people were more subdued, talking about filing for unemployment, getting their kids away from the drug scene, etc., etc.

Still, I'm glad I went. I was plenty active in sports in school but I wasn't into the jock scene at all. Several teammates told me that I'd get along with them better off the field and off the court if I hung out with them more. I said to them that "That's not how I pick my friends." One of the guys off the baseball team talked to me about that observation at the twenty year. We had a great visit afterwards!

Old 03-09-2019, 08:05 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,609,998 times
I didn’t bother. It would have been a little weird for me as none of my friends were going and my only real motivation to go would have been because I think it’d have been funny bringing my girlfriend to the 10 year reunion considering she was actually in high school (a senior) at the time She’s 25 in a few weeks and we’re getting married this year, so maybe I’ll bring her to the 20 year in two years time ha ha. I think social media has satiated a lot of any curiosity people have. I looked up the “hot girls” with my GF when I was 28-29 and I couldn’t believe that almost every one of them looked 20 years older and not even cute anymore. A few got fat, a few more just had crazy signs of aging for being so young. The best looking girl was still gorgeous and didn’t look a day older, good for her. But I didn’t like most of these people back in the day so I didn’t see the point of it.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:07 PM

19,965 posts, read 30,111,427 times
funny how on the 10 yr reunion...the old cliques seem to hang together but the 20 yr reunion ...that didn't happen

and the 10 yr was a big drinking fest ...not the ones after that

Old 03-12-2019, 01:49 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,174,063 times
Hi C24L! I graduated HS in 1978. Have been to my 5th, 10th and 15th (15th was most enjoyable; cliques had pretty much been put in the rear view mirror, except a stubborn few), but have not been to any since then. For two of them that I missed, I had made prior commitments that happened on the same weekend that I had to keep. Having said that, I am happy having gone to three. If I don't go to another, it's no big deal but I may go to the next one in 2023. The last few have definitely been more expensive than yours.

Fwiw, I would be happy just renting out a pizza place for 4 hours, charge everyone $25 or so for all you can eat and people can wear jeans. It's easier to be friendly and unpretentious in that environment IMO. Heck, our class is almost 60 years old.The people that set up our HS reunions prefer the fancy hotels, though.

(I also went to a 50th anniversary of our high school event in 2017, which was free).

Since you were "looking forward to it", at least consider going to this first one and if it is boring after a couple hours, you can leave early.

With opinions all over the place on the thread, but respectfully shared, I'm not sure if we made your decision easier, so I think the fact you are looking forward to it means you should probably consider going.

Good luck and if you do decide to go, hope that you have a good time!

Is the reunion reasonably close to where you live now?

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-12-2019 at 02:15 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 03:09 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,081,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I've never been to one and never intend to.

Anyone I cared to stay in contact with since high school, I have. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's just a venue for people to brag about how well they've done - or how much better they have done, or look, than others, etc.

Unless you can think of any other great reason to go anyway, why torture yourself?
My sentiments exactly.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:14 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,081,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by priscillavanilla View Post
well apparently, it worked out well for this person since he's not sorry he missed it.

Too funny.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 PM

12,704 posts, read 14,872,891 times
So, what's the verdict?

Are you going or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships