Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 04:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

If you attend this party, she will try very hard to recruit you. And these parties aren't like real parties. Sometimes they don't even serve food or drinks. They just give the hard core sales pitch and watch people squirm uncomfortably in their seats. Sound like fun? It's not.

Also, as far as hosting the party, I wouldn't do it. They will offer to give free products to anyone who hosts the party, but then after the party, don't pony up with the free gift. They can get away with this, too, as they are independent contractors with the business, not employees. The hostess gifts are things they have to pay for out of their own earnings and they can suddenly get cheap or stingy about this. I hosted a Mary Kay party for a friend one time and she said free lipstick for hosting the party, it turned out to be simply a sample of lipstick on a tiny card. She lied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 04:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Ask for a catalog, and let her know that you'll look at it and place an order if you find anything that you need.
I did this one time and the person hounded me to death to buy something out of the catalog. She sent dozens of emails a week, trying to get me to buy even one candle.

This is not a good idea and will only give the person the impression that one has some slight interest in the products.

And a lot of these people in MLMs aren't trying to sell stuff, they're trying to recruit. That's how the money is made, recruiting a downline.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:08 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
No need to make up something. Just tell her the truth that you thought she was talking about her own store until you looked up the name. Tell her that you always avoided both hosting and attending those parties because no one profits except the people at the top of the pyramid.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
No need to make up something. Just tell her the truth that you thought she was talking about her own store until you looked up the name. Tell her that you always avoided both hosting and attending those parties because no one profits except the people at the top of the pyramid.
Yup. This is the way I'd recommend handling it too. No chance of leaving the door open for further recruitment.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:35 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
On the other hand, you might save her a lot of money if she finds out how these companies work. A year from now she could wind up in debt, with a garage full of product she can't sell, because she needed to get to the next "level." You say you like her - only you can decide if you would be doing her a favor by cluing her in.

You might show her articles like this - https://www.scarymommy.com/mlm-failu...rcent-lularoe/
just to counter the "info" she is getting from the company and her upline.
Unlikely she'll listen... and as someone else said, it will just sour the friendship. When people are set on something, they're unlikely to have their mind changed until it ends badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
No, I said "whatever I can do to help you out, let me know". ***sighs***
Well, just because you say "if you need something, let me know" doesn't mean that's a blank check to do anything someone asks for. What if she said "great, I just need a kidney to sell on the black market for my startup costs"? Yeah, that's extreme, but really, that offer is not open-ended for "I will do absolutely anything you want." Everyone has limits. Hosting parties might be yours. (Besides, you said "whatever I can do, let me know," not "tell me to do something and I'll do it." Well, she let you know... which is technically all you offered: to listen, lol.)

I like the idea of saying "I don't think I know anyone who would be interested, but if you give me a catalog I'll pass it around."

Old 03-05-2019, 07:02 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I would be honest. Tell her you thought it was a real business when you agreed. And I would use the word "real." I can't believe how many keep falling for this.

You also have to think of how your friends will react to the invitation. They may become ex friends.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:24 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I would tell her you mentioned it to your friends and none of them were interested in attending, which sounds like it is the truth in your case. My mom got talked into a pearl party once and no one came. She should have talked to her friends ahead of time instead of just sending out invitations.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:07 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times
Call her and tell her that you need to explain her something. No shame to say that you misunderstood her “ business” situation - you thought you will be asked to help her clean the displays of clothing or iron something.
You are not interested yourself in purchasing whatever she is selling and you can not invite your friends to a “ party” that is NOT a party but a sales pressure box.
You unfortunately have to rescind your “ help” offer. Wish her good luck and tell her you see her at the church!

Be prepared to lose her as your” friend”. Trust me, it will be worth it!
Friends don’t let their friends to host an MLM “ party!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:41 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Absolutely

There's no need to pontificate about the evils of MLM, especially to someone who is just getting started in it.

Your main priority, OP, is to get out of hosting, so make that your focus. Just send her a brief message telling her that you're very sorry, but you cannot host the party after all. You can even make a vague reference to it being out of your comfort zone or whatever, but just be clear that you are canceling, and do it ASAP before she tells anyone.
THIS!! If she tries to argue, just keep saying no, I'm no comfortable with it. That is your final answer.

OP, I HATE THOSE HOME PARTIES TOO!!!! with a passion. Everything is expensive and not worth my time.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:14 PM

334 posts, read 227,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
^^^ This. Friend was in a travel one many years ago and would host them at his house. The money he brought in each month, he tried to get it down to even with expenses, thus he paid our bar tabs all the time! My friend who won worldwide fitness competitions got into Isagenix 10 yrs ago, she shot up to top 5 in company in no time. Makes $2+m per year from it alone. Like any job, you get out of it what you put in it.
Cool story, needs more dragons :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships