U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 04:03 PM

9,228 posts, read 3,561,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
MLM-Moms Lying to Moms
Classic.

That's what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 04:12 PM

560 posts, read 136,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I learned long ago to never say "let me know if I can do anything to help" because, while I might be interested in giving a bit of help, I am never interested in doing absolutely anything, no matter what it is. There are too many people out there who will jump in quick to take advantage of an offer to do anything.

Perhaps tell her that you asked several of your friends and no one wants to come to your house to buy probiotics, so it would be a waste of time.
"let me know if I can do anything to help" is not the same as "I will do anything it takes to help you"

She asked and now all you have to say is that home parties are not something you are comfortable doing. That's a complete sentence. If she gets pushy then just politely state "I said no. Please let it go". Anyone who would keep pushing a friend at that point is not a friend and I would not feel bad to just walk away from.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:31 AM

5,913 posts, read 5,264,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Yeah; whether they come to the party or not, some of them are likely to remember it and think differently of you for being involved in this scam and trying to suck them into it. I know I probably would.

I would stay away from hitting so hard on the word"real," though. That can come across as pretty judgmental, and how does that help anything? Best to just to keep it neutral, I think.
It is meant to be judgmental. Being asked to take part in something like this is insulting.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,514,075 times
Tell her you have come down with projectile scabies and your house is under quarantine.

Seriously though, I think she's making a huge ask. And such chutzpah deserves full honesty. You're uncomfortable with it because you do not think MLMs are a sound business model and you don't want to support something that takes advantage of people. Tell her you've done your research. Tell her you misunderstood what she had been talking about and thought you were going to support her independent business.

There's a long list of reasons to hate MLMs. Don't feel guilty for not wanting to be involved or for misunderstanding her intentions.

I'll give you $50 if you use the projectile scabies excuse though.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:52 AM

12,119 posts, read 10,270,629 times
She has no problem making you uncomfortable by even requesting this, so I'd have no problem returning the favor.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:33 AM

88 posts, read 49,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Simple.

Grab a hold of yourself and go through with it. It’s a few hours out of your day.
3. You will still have this young lady as yiur friend.
Meaning if OP doesn't host they will no longer be friends? I don't want friends like that.

A friendship would definitely cool off (for me) if a friend asked me to host or even attend a MLM. I just feel like they want to benefit financially off me.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:50 AM

10,171 posts, read 7,045,900 times
I just tell them you don’t have any friends to invite. That’s what I do

Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 PM

5,442 posts, read 5,854,350 times
Haha my fiancť did Mary Kay and then Beauty Counter for maybe a year or so, she hated the stupid parties but made some money on them, but hitting up friends repeatedly was the worst part I think for her. I donít blame you at all for not wanting to do this stupid thing! My fiancť quit and probably like most people lost money by being suckered into buying too many excess products. I admire her for wanting to do a business but honestly these MLM things are all about telling people of a few amazing success stories while for most people they simply donít work.

A bunch of my relatives have apparently done these things too, but in my mind youíd need so many friends and contacts it would be insane. Youíd also have to hope they like the products. Iím so glad most of this stuff is for girls so Iíve never been bit up for any of it. I didnít buy anything from my fiancť hahaha her mom gave me a hard time but Iím like, what?! This is girls beauty products! I supported her by letting her host these idiotic parties at my nice house where I pay the bills lol.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:04 AM

10,618 posts, read 21,284,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Thanks all, after careful consideration lol and listening to you folks I am...

1) definitely not hosting a party, I am going to simply tell her that no one I know is interested in these products, which is the truth but not the whole truth.

2) definitely going to ask her what happen with opening her own store? that was on the table for so long and you sounded so passionate about it. You had me thinking up ways to get it off the ground.

3) how she got interested in this company? We've volunteered / ushered/ food banked together for 3 years now, never once have you mentioned that you even went to the gym. ( lol I'm going to think up some thing a bit nicer than that. ) You've heard about my bad knees and pt stories and never sounded like the health industry was some thing you are interested in.

I'm hoping she will tell me how she got involved which might give me an opening on MLM businesses.
So how did it go?

Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,648,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
It is meant to be judgmental. Being asked to take part in something like this is insulting.
Eh... I dunno... maybe, maybe not... way I look at it is, if it's a friend, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they just got suckered into it and haven't figured it out yet.

I've known a couple of pretty nice people who got talked into these ponzi schemes because they were really trusting and naive, and it took 'em a minute or two to figure it out. It's not my place to leap to assumptions and judge them. If I consider someone a friend, I'm not going to assume the first questionable thing they do makes they're secretly an ******* who's been fooling me all this time, and now it's up to me to pounce on 'em and teach them a lesson. If I think highly enough of them to be a friend, my first assumption is that they made an error in judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Iím so glad most of this stuff is for girls so Iíve never been bit up for any of it. I didnít buy anything from my fiancť hahaha her mom gave me a hard time but Iím like, what?! This is girls beauty products! I supported her by letting her host these idiotic parties at my nice house where I pay the bills lol.
I've thought about that from time to time. How come this is a "girls only" thing? How come you don't see guys hosting Snap-on Tools parties, or Webber grill accessories parties, or Federal ammunition parties? Not that I'd ever want to be invited to one, of course, but you'd think sooner or later someone would have though of it, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships